• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Shea Weber fined for Zetterberg "headslam"

Rate this topic

Just a point of reference, Ottawa's Konopka got fined $2500 = Weber's fine. From NHL.com:

Konopka was fined for his verbal abuse directed at a New York Rangers player conducting a live television interview nearby during pre-game warm-ups.

So verbally abusing another player = $2500 = smashing another player's head into the glass.

Almost EVERY commentator point to the lack of discipline on Weber as THE act that opened the floodgate to the rampant goonery that we've seen so far.

Just a point of reference, Ottawa's Konopka got fined $2500 = Weber's fine. From NHL.com:

Konopka was fined for his verbal abuse directed at a New York Rangers player conducting a live television interview nearby during pre-game warm-ups.

So verbally abusing another player = $2500 = smashing another player's head into the glass.

Almost EVERY commentator point to the lack of discipline on Weber as THE act that opened the floodgate to the rampant goonery that we've seen so far.

i just thought of something,Weber's 2500 is the same amount the every player on the red wings is taxed for playing a game in nashville the tennessee's jock tax,The tax charges players $2,500 for each game played in tennessee,with a maxium charge of $7,500

Edited by PredsFanTheBayouState

Well, let's see, Boyle is okay so Carkner shouldn't be suspended and now I believe Alfredsson is going to play too so Hegland shouldn't be suspended should he? Ok so I hear Carkner is a repeat offender?? But Hegland isn't.

They need to clean house in the NHL.

They need to rent a very large, frickin' bulldozer.

NHL dropped the ball and now is back tracking, plain and simple.

What the Wings needs to focus on is winning, plain and simple. We are down in the series and focusing on the what ifs in the past will not produce results.

There's a great article above by Bob Wojnowski on this very same subject. I totally agree they need to move on, starting with Franzen.

What's beautiful is that Mike Smith returned and played the rest of his game after getting "ran" by Andrew Shaw. Personally, I think Smith sold his head back and made the hit look a thousand times worst, anyways... no injury on the play but 3 game suspension? CONSISTENCY.

Shanahan has been criticized for not suspending Nashville's Shea Weber after he smashed the head of Detroit forward Henrik Zetterberg into the glass at the end of Game 1 of their series. Weber was fined $2,500, the maximum allowed under the collective bargaining agreement.

Bettman deemed the punishment appropriate, saying the situation was “blown completely out of context.” He suggested that the distinction between the maximum fine and a one-game suspension — which he said was the most he'd heard anyone call for — wasn't meaningful in deterring future offences.

“It was a clear statement that what he did was wrong,” Bettman said. “I have pretty high confidence in Brendan Shanahan — having been on the ice recently and the type of player he was — he knows exactly what took place there and how big a deal it was. ... Whether or not it was the maximum fine or a one-game suspension hardly has anything to do with any of the other things we're talking about.”

He added Shanahan “is doing a very, very good job.”