617 replies to this topic

#141 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:12 AM

Bob McKenzie twitter

At this point, there has been no mention to NSH about disciplinary hearing for Shea Weber pushing Zetterberg's head into boards/glass.I would be shocked if Weber is suspended. Whether we like it or not, and many don't, outcome or result of hit usually trumps intent.Weber's vicious first punch was glancing blow, turnbuckle move looked worse but wasn't as forceful. Worse part for me: time of game. Over.

#142 NHLrules?

NHLrules?

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

Bob McKenzie twitter

If this is the case our boys have to step it up and take them out mano y mano.

Next game will determine the series for us, if we win we have a shot if we roll over because of this, well I think we get swept.

#143 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

I don't disagree with McKenzie's assessment of the likelihood of suspension. But letting the lack of injury so heavily influence suspension is the major flaw in the NHL discipline.

So Weber won't get suspended because he mostly whiffed on his suckerpunch to the back of the head of a player, and didn't ram his face into the turnbuckle that hard?

It means the league is content to wait until there's a sever injury to suspend things like this, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me if you're trying to protect players' brains.

#144 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:44 AM

So any chance that Zetterberg will miss any games? My internet was down and I couldn't watch the game.

We really shouldn't be surprised if Weber doesn't get a suspension. It's just the way it is.

#145 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:48 AM

Zetterberg looked like he was fine overall, but that shouldn't be the judge in the end.

Milbury and Jones just reported on it saying they don't think that Weber will be suspended, but they both thought it probably should have been suspendable.

Posted Image

#146 Vladiator

Vladiator

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:54 AM

Zetterberg looked like he was fine overall, but that shouldn't be the judge in the end.

Milbury and Jones just reported on it saying they don't think that Weber will be suspended, but they both thought it probably should have been suspendable.

Stayed up just to hear what they would say about it. They said it should have been a major. I'll be happy with a one gamer.

Edited by Vladiator, 12 April 2012 - 12:55 AM.

#147 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:58 AM

What does the playoffs have to do with anything? I thought the whole point of the Shanabans were to take the headshots out of the game to try and reduce the amount of concussions that are going on? So pre-season, or the Stanley Cup finals, if you're serious about protecting the players the penalty should be the same. You can get a career ending concussion just as easily from a headshot in the playoffs as the regular season.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#148 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:10 AM

looks like this time of the year you're once again allowed to punch people to the head. I'm not surprized though...
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#149 GetToDaChoppah

GetToDaChoppah

Prospect

• 49 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:21 AM

Let's be honest here. Did Weber get a little unnecessary by trying to take Z's head into the glass (I say trying because it wasn't as bad as it looked/could've really been)? Yes. But Z did make an unnecessary run at Weber in the corner, coming a little high the elbow towards the head with the game all but over. That's is undoubtedly what sparked the fracas.

I don't think there will be a suspension here, but in all fairness if there is then Bertuzzi better be riding the pine along with Weber because his hay maker to a defenseless Gaustad was really no better than Weber's actions. It was a chippy game between two heated rivals & ITS THE PLAYOFFS!

I get tired of seeing people crying bloody mary over this, throwing the word "safety" & "prevention" out there concerning concussions but being the same people who cheer when the NHL allows the gloves to be dropped and two players go bare knuckle at each other til one is damn near knocked out.

#150 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:35 AM

Let's be honest here. Did Weber get a little unnecessary by trying to take Z's head into the glass (I say trying because it wasn't as bad as it looked/could've really been)? Yes. But Z did make an unnecessary run at Weber in the corner, coming a little high the elbow towards the head with the game all but over. That's is undoubtedly what sparked the fracas.

Be honest yourself. There is a huge difference between going hard into the corner and grabbing another player's head and punching it into the glass.

Edited by RusDRW, 12 April 2012 - 02:35 AM.

Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#151 GetToDaChoppah

GetToDaChoppah

Prospect

• 49 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:43 AM

Be honest yourself. There is a huge difference between going hard into the corner and grabbing another player's head and punching it into the glass.

Please, I was at this game & Weber put no mustard on that "head smash" as everyone in red keeps referring to it as.

I'm sure Weber didn't appreciate being run at high against the boards with merely a few seconds left when he has already been out this season from a concussion.

I guess you have an excuse for Bertuzzi coming over to Gaustad and delivering a vicious shot to his face as well? I guess punching someone in the face 30 seconds after the final horn is perfectly acceptable?

#152 MibJab

MibJab

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:03 AM

It's the principle. You can't do what Weber did. It's not a hockey play, no matter how hard he did it or how serious it could've been. If someone on the Wings pulled a stunt like this, I would expect a suspension, no doubt. Imagine being the aggressor in this situation. Throw a full angst punch (landed or not) and then two hand grab a guy and slam his head into the glass....I'm not half assing this, I'm gonna put his head through the mother f**king glass. If you watch the video, Z put his hands over his face, which stopped total carnage. Weber could have initiated a fight, he could have kept throwing punches, but no, he chose to make an unnatural hockey play. I just miss the old days when a guy like Weber would have to answer to someone who knew how to fight. I don't care if he gets suspended or not, I just hope the Wings can win the series, or have someone match up with Weber and beat him. Hey, I'll even enjoy a Kronwall lunging his rear side into Weber. Unfortunately, it seems as though Weber will get off scotch free and end up losing in the second round to some muck muck squad that wont be in the playoffs next year. In the end, it's classless and I'm sick and tired of seeing our beloved Wings getting punked out by s***ty people, who have potential to be really good hockey players.

#153 Norwegian Red Wing

Norwegian Red Wing

He shoots - He SCOOORES!

• HoF Booster
  • 342 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:16 AM

JR: "There´s no question in my mind that Brendan Shanahans gotta come down on this (...) you cannot use the glass to inflict harm".
Posted Image

#154 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:20 AM

JR is right!
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#155 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:28 AM

At the final buzzer, Nashville's All-Star defenseman and captain Shea Weber received a roughing penalty for a series of hits on Detroit's Henrik Zetterberg. Replays showed the 6-foot-4, 232-poundWeber grabbing the head of the 5-foot-11, 195-pound Zetterberg and slamming it into the glass.

Weber was asked if he thought he would need to worry about any possible further supplementary discipline.

"I don't know. He hit me from behind, so we'll see," he said. "I don't know."

Asked what sparked the incident, Weber simply said, "It's playoffs. It's playoffs."

Trotz defended his player and said he also did not think it would warrant supplementary discipline.

"Zetterberg hit him in the head first," Trotz said. "There wasn't much there. I mean, I was watching the scrum right after that with [Todd] Bertuzzi and Gaustad and Bertuzzi comes in with a big-time, you know, haymaker, so I just think Zetterberg was tired at the end and he knew Webs was there and the game was over."

For his part, Babcock seemed to reserve judgment until he got a better look at it on replay. Asked if he saw the play, he said, "Well, yeah, but I was a 180 feet away."
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#156 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,997 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:53 AM

If Hank were Crosby, Weber would be suspended for the remainder of the Preds' run.

But, as it is, I'll be amazed if he gets even one game.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#157 Lovin Jiri Fischer

Lovin Jiri Fischer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:44 AM

The whole point of NHL discipline is to prevent serious injuries to players BEFORE they actually happen and someone has to get reconstructive surgery right? Then how does that goal get achieved when players are only suspended if the result is that they other person is injured? The NHL makes absolutely no sense with it's discipline and I doubt that Weber will get anything because Z is "fine." And suspensions also depend on the player being targeted. If Weber had smashed Crosby's head into the glass, he would be out for a loooong time. But it's Zetterberg so there will be nothing.
  • Nev likes this

#158 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,217 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:46 AM

it wasn't that hard, if weber really hit him z would be done.

Fistric hammered weber this year and gave him a concussion

Some of your posts are flipping unbelievable :blink:

#159 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:14 AM

This is just going to prove that league discipline will continue to be ineffective and inconsistent as long as Bettman is in charge. As much as I like Shanny, he's under Bettman's thumb and I highly doubt he's able to do anything without Bettman's say so.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#160 GoWings!

GoWings!

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

Can you imagine if someone from Philly grabbed Crosby's head with both hands and drove his head into the boards after the game already ended? Whether Zetterberg is dead or wasn't even hurt it was still intent to injure and a blow to the head which warrants a suspension. Zetterberg is not a "diver" and he's a key player on our team that should be protected. I don't think he "sold" anything.

Edited by GoWings!, 12 April 2012 - 06:56 AM.