• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Cali-Wing-Nut

The Bettman SS

Rate this topic

There are few things more obnoxious and insensitive than casually making comparisons between the mundane and the systematic slaughter of millions of people. <_<

Thank you. Pardon the language, but I'm really getting sick of that ******* s***. Does everything people don't like have to be compared to Hitler and/or the Nazis? Get some new ******* analogies.

Thank you. Pardon the language, but I'm really getting sick of that ******* s***. Does everything people don't like have to be compared to Hitler and/or the Nazis? Get some new ******* analogies.

Makes you think, what did people use before them?

Im not Jewish but I am 2nd generation Lithuanian with grandparents that escaped during WW2, believe me the atrocities of Genocide are not taken casually.

However the comparison of a single man, a short and rather obnoxious one himself, using his gestapo to slaughter a game millions love is far from mundane. Tell Vancouve how mundane the playoffs are. This is life to quite a few people, maybe not YOU, but to many including myself I feel like one little evil man is systematically killing off the very game I love.

I apologize for unfortunately offending you, I will not apologize for how I view Bettman, the officials and how it affects the game and the fanbase in general. Vile people require vile comparisons, he isnt a murderer but he DOES have the power to ruin things for entire cities and does so regularly.

I'll leave out his decisions regarding PHX to a different thread but he single handedly has the abilty to ruin entire economies.

You say you don't take them casually, but you're still comparing Bettman's impact on a game to people who caused the death of over 10 million people.

language aside, I agree with Electrophile. The analogy is thrown around way to casually.

I think people don't use Bin Laden because it's a more recent tragedy and probably is more obvious how ridiculous of an analogy it is to use.

I think people don't use Bin Laden because it's a more recent tragedy and probably is more obvious how ridiculous of an analogy it is to use.

Yeah using Bin Laden would be a ridiculous analogy, because his reputation is in a completely different context.

Terrorism isnt the analogy here, its more like totalitarianism involving corruption, repression of free speech, propaganda, and control of the economy

Yeah using Bin Laden would be a ridiculous analogy, because his reputation is in a completely different context.

Terrorism isnt the analogy here, its more like totalitarianism involving corruption, repression of free speech, propaganda, and control of the economy

And killing millions and millions of people.

I see your point about the Bin Laden analogy, but the gestapo/hitler/ss thing still gets thrown around way too much these days. It's a ridiculous and insensitive analogy.

Losers find excuses to why they lost. Was the officiating bad? Sure. But there's plenty of time in the game, and the Wings didn't even allow a power play goal, they actually benefited from the calls. So, someone explain to me why this an issue again? The better team wins in a 7-game series, if Detroit loses they have no one to blame but themselves...not the refs and not Bettman.

Losers find excuses to why they lost. Was the officiating bad? Sure. But there's plenty of time in the game, and the Wings didn't even allow a power play goal, they actually benefited from the calls. So, someone explain to me why this an issue again? The better team wins in a 7-game series, if Detroit loses they have no one to blame but themselves...not the refs and not Bettman.

I have to agree.

Also, the first game of the series appears to be a blip. The refs aren't going to call it like that every game, and in fact, those are the exception, not the norm.

Mods, if its tearing people up this much change the Title to

The Bettman Administration

or how to singlehandedly ruin the NHL

I will concede that there are people here that had immediate family members that were killed and I dont want this thread turning into an issue that is more about correctness and less about the actual subject.

I chose the analogy because he came in at a bad time in the NHL with the promise of making the league relevant. He was given near absolute power and has destroyed the game in the process. He has also ruined cities in the process, peoples livelihood, damaged economies all due to him wanting certain teams in certain areas.

He hasnt killed anyone, but his megalomaniac control of the league is pretty close to what happened in the years up to the Holocaust. He rushed into every country and took control, required absolute allegiance or death and destroyed who he didnt like, regardless of the ultimate consequences.

Like I said I dont think this is the place to stand my ground on a topic title so I am willing to concede to the behest of those bothered by it.

I have to agree.

Also, the first game of the series appears to be a blip. The refs aren't going to call it like that every game, and in fact, those are the exception, not the norm.

That's my bone of contention. Why are they going to call them differently later? Why don't they call them the same on a regular basis? If they don' have consistency, they have control. Control means they have influence, and therefore a direct impact on the outcome of the game. How can anyone not declare this as wrong?

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS