• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

It appears you're correct. My bad. Whatever the case, Sheahan has size but lacks speed and experience at even the minor-league level, let alone the NHL level. If Emmerton is to be replaced, I'm sure it'll be Andersson who is called up. He's large and has had a good season with the Griffins.

Babs had a hard-on for Sheahan's size when he played the other night. IF he didn't take a 4min high sticking penalty I think a lot more people would have focussed on his strong play down low and did well. He was nervous as hell though and who knows if he can hold up in the playoffs but he has the skill set we need for sure. I can see babs adjusting the bottom six if things don't work out next game.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#22 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

I agree with the assessments. I just thought it was pointless Emmy got less than 3 minutes last night. Of course, that might have something to do with the penalty parade. Does Emmy get any special teams time?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#23 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

I don't think Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom is going to work out as well. I'd rather Bertuzzi or Hudler on instead of Homer.

bringit.jpg

#24 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

I don't think Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom is going to work out as well. I'd rather Bertuzzi or Hudler on instead of Homer.

homer has half of the effect anywhere else. he can play in front of the net with skilled players, anywhere else he is playing catchup.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#25 PrairieDawg

PrairieDawg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

Homer has seemed to pick up his game the past few weeks. Now he doesn't look fast, but he looks fast for homer.

#26 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

Homer's doing alright.

#27 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

Homer is at his best when he is with the Eurotwins and both hank and pavs always say they prefer to have homer playing with them because he retrieves pucks along the boards and hands it off to them and then goes to his office and makes it easier for the Big guns to get it done.

#28 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

No doubt that Nyquist will be the Conn Smythe winner. :cool:

#29 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

Bert was completely useless on that line, anyone..and i mean anyone would serve more purpose at this point.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#30 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,826 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

Why does it matter if Emmerton can play center if he's hardly getting any icetime anyway? He's not exactly taking big faceoffs in his 5 total minutes out there.

We can put together a 4th line with all wingers, and the center would be someone like Cleary or Miller, who are defensively responsible.

Get Emmerton out of the lineup.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#31 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

Why does it matter if Emmerton can play center if he's hardly getting any icetime anyway? He's not exactly taking big faceoffs in his 5 total minutes out there.

We can put together a 4th line with all wingers, and the center would be someone like Cleary or Miller, who are defensively responsible.

Get Emmerton out of the lineup.

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but taking a winger who has no experience at playing center and putting him in that position will mean a very hard time for him. There's more to playing center than just taking faceoffs.

Edited by Crymson, 12 April 2012 - 09:17 PM.

#32 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but taking a winger who has no experience at playing center and putting him in that position will mean a very hard time for him. There's more to playing center than just taking faceoffs.

Playing center is not really rocket science, the centerman is responsible for the middle of the ice and is to help out the defense down low and to pick up the extra guy in the slot.

Faceoffs are actually really important for a center to be good at or whats the point of playing center if you can't win a faceoff. It scares me to think of Cleary or Miller trying to take a faceoff at a crucial point in the game if they get stuck out on the ice.

I'd actually like to see Sheahan instead of Emmerton as the 4th line center. Bigger body who can throw some hits on the Nashville defense and he can't be any worse on faceoffs than Emmerton.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#33 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,826 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

Playing center is not really rocket science, the centerman is responsible for the middle of the ice and is to help out the defense down low and to pick up the extra guy in the slot.

Faceoffs are actually really important for a center to be good at or whats the point of playing center if you can't win a faceoff. It scares me to think of Cleary or Miller trying to take a faceoff at a crucial point in the game if they get stuck out on the ice.

I'd actually like to see Sheahan instead of Emmerton as the 4th line center. Bigger body who can throw some hits on the Nashville defense and he can't be any worse on faceoffs than Emmerton.

Cleary has taken faceoffs for us in the past. Besides, like I said, Emmerton didn't take too many faceoffs last night. He hardly got on the freaking ice.

You can't dress a guy just because he's a center, and then not play him, especially in a game where another center got injured. I don't understand what Babcock is doing with Emmerton.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#34 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

Cleary has taken faceoffs for us in the past. Besides, like I said, Emmerton didn't take too many faceoffs last night. He hardly got on the freaking ice.

You can't dress a guy just because he's a center, and then not play him, especially in a game where another center got injured. I don't understand what Babcock is doing with Emmerton.

I agree with you on the whole, but you're forgetting one thing:

Emmerton is a center.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#35 wingnut4013

wingnut4013

Prospect

• 39 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

Its a huge blow with helmer out, but i like what i saw outta nyquist. i have alot of confidence that he'll step up and do just fine. go wings!!

#36 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

He didn't play Emmerton much because Helm's injury made Emmerton pointless. Emmerton was in the lineup so that Abdelkader could play on the wing. When Abdelkader was moved up to center the 3rd line, Emmerton became irrelevant.

Sheahan isn't ready for the NHL yet. Andersson would fit better.

#37 jthiel86

jthiel86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:46 AM

He didn't play Emmerton much because Helm's injury made Emmerton pointless. Emmerton was in the lineup so that Abdelkader could play on the wing. When Abdelkader was moved up to center the 3rd line, Emmerton became irrelevant.

Sheahan isn't ready for the NHL yet. Andersson would fit better.

Not trying to be argumentative, but why would they bring Sheahan in on the last game of the season if they figured he wasn't ready? That's not very "Detroit-esque" if you know what I mean. I get giving him a taste, but like another poster said, he brings size and the willingness to play the grinder hockey that Emmerton may not be capable of doing.

I do agree Andersson may be a better fit also.

Edited by jthiel86, 13 April 2012 - 01:01 AM.

#38 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:20 AM

Not trying to be argumentative, but why would they bring Sheahan in on the last game of the season if they figured he wasn't ready? That's not very "Detroit-esque" if you know what I mean. I get giving him a taste, but like another poster said, he brings size and the willingness to play the grinder hockey that Emmerton may not be capable of doing.

I do agree Andersson may be a better fit also.

I imagine Babcock wanted to see what he was made of. And yes, I agree that Sheahan is a far better grinder, but his defensive abilities may be mediocre and he's a terrible skater.

#39 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:46 AM

I think Holmstrom will be playing in the top 6 in Game 2... I say beef up the third line with Hudler and/or Bertuzzi, give them a scoring touch

Edited by joesuffP, 13 April 2012 - 01:52 AM.

#40 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

i'm really upset about helm but nyquist did look promising when he was up. its nyq's time to prove himself and I'm sure he'll do just that. go wings!

lol...how so? he had his 7 points in like 9 or 10 games in the top 6! and then he got plugged on the 4th line with Emmerton and Homer. Let's see you produce with those 2 and with 4th line minutes. Your post is laughable. Nyquist is gonna win the Calder next year if he's in the top 6. Save this post. Babcock will ultimately decide whether or not he wants a Wing to win that trophy for the first time since.....who exactly???

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.