Photo
- - - - -

Is Playing for the Wings the same draw it used to be?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pondrocket

pondrocket

Rookie

• Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

For the first time is the last 10 or 12 years I am beginning to feel that it isn't. Yep, it's an original six team. Yep, they ice a team capable of getting to the playoffs. Yep, the market loves hockey. Their puck possession style is still attractive to skilled players. If I am a smalish skilled guy am I safe there. How much more abuse do I have to suck up in Detroit then I would in other markets with a more balanced skill / and protection built team? I believe it is still strong, but not like it was even a couple years ago.

#2 jroc86

jroc86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

Last season the NHLPA players poll voted Detroit as the most desirable team to play for... this year they slipped to #2 (behind Chicago). A first round exit this year would hurt the cause - but the legacy/playoff streak/overall professionalism of ownership and management remains so yeah - Detroit for the time being will continue to be a desirable place for free agents.

#3 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

WHOA NO NEED TO SHOUT THERE BUDDY

But in all seriousness, I think if there was anything that can be taken away from this year's ASG, people wanted to play with Datsyuk. That's reason enough, IMO to say we're still an attractive team.

Posted Image

#4 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Posted Image

#5 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

I think so. Not necessarily saying it'll be number 1, most desirable team, ad infinitum, but it has history of good management and respect and dedication to it's players. I think that when Ken Holland goes, he will choose a replacement that shares the same ethos, and that the Detroit way of doing things filters down through history. Passed on like Chinese Whispers. This isn't an organisation that is going to be sold and gutted. Just as Holland will hand over to someone hand picked, most likely so will Mike Ilitch. Basically, for all the players in the league now, this team isn't going to change it's way of doing things in their careers. It'll still scout and draft well, it'll still demand nothing less than perfection, and it'll still strive to play attractive, winning hockey with their players and fans the most important factor.

Well I think so anyway :)

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#6 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

Why is it that in the playoffs people feel the need to start a thread on the first thing that comes to mind? Seriously, I know it happens but in the playoffs it is far more frequent...