• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingnut4013

Bitz suspended two games

Rate this topic

I think the hit by Bitz was vicious and warranted a suspension, but it actually occurred during a hockey play. Weber took a swing at Zetterberg's head before deciding to ram it into the glass after the game was over. He definitely should have been given some kind of supplementary discipline. A $2,500 fine doesn't mean anything to millionaires.

Unfortunately, the league puts too much stock into whether a player is injured.

I think the hit by Bitz was vicious and warranted a suspension, but it actually occurred during a hockey play. Weber took a swing at Zetterberg's head before deciding to ram it into the glass after the game was over. He definitely should have been given some kind of supplementary discipline. A $2,500 fine doesn't mean anything to millionaires.

This.

Bitz's hit was suspension worthy for sure, but as you mention, he was at least trying to make a hockey play.

That stinks for Clifford. He's 21 years old and will hit, fight, grind, score some goals. But the kids got concussion issues already. When he fights he fights wide open, not protecting himself and he's been caught with a couple bombs. He's all heart though.

Exactly. As much as it sucks, it is what it is. I feel like the NHL needs to redefine the term intent. When it seems as if one's intent is to injure another player (at least in the Weber/Z case) there isn't a suspension. However we all know what happens when a referee has the intent to blow the whistle....

Edited by PaZel

Probably also has a lot to do with the fact that this was 'boarding' whereas Weber was 'roughing'. I know it's a horrible play but I can't think of a suspension that's come as a result of a roughing call?

The roughing call was the wrong call to begin with then. At the 20 mark of the 3rd period, he should have been given a match. You want to get intellectual about it, what Bertuzzi did was no worse than what Weber did. The Wings players just didn't ensue a pile up on top of Z after the play to ultimately break his neck. Say what you will about this and negg it, but it's "matter of fact."