• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

Repercussions of Weber headslam

Rate this topic

Maybe I have long-term memory issues, but it seems like the amount of cheapshotting has skyrocketed these playoffs compared to years past, particularly after Shanahan decided taking Weber's lunch money was an appropriate punishment for crushing Zetterberg's face into the glass.

After all the stuff that occurred in game 2s throughout the league, I'm wondering whether Shanahan will have the balls to start cracking down on dangerous and illegal plays, or whether he'll have the audacity to turn his head away.

Now maybe Im wrong. Maybe Playoff hockey has always been like this and I just never paid attention. Maybe the recent s*** that's gone down is just an anomaly and will calm back down on its own. It'll be interesting to see how Shanahan responds.

Also please excuse the spelling error in the thread title

Edited by Echolalia

Maybe I have long-term memory issues, but it seems like the amount of cheapshotting has skyrocketed these playoffs compared to years past, particularly after Shanahan decided taking Weber's lunch money was an appropriate punishment for crushing Zetterberg's face into the glass.

After all the stuff that occurred in game 2s throughout the league, I'm wondering whether Shanahan will have the balls to start cracking down on dangerous and illegal plays, or whether he'll have the audacity to turn his head away.

Now maybe Im wrong. Maybe Playoff hockey has always been like this and I just never paid attention. Maybe the recent s*** that's gone down is just an anomaly and will calm back down on its own. It'll be interesting to see how Shanahan responds.

Shanahan has no credibility in my book after the bad decision he made regarding the Weber/Z incident. They keep going back to the "soft" punch to the head and completely ignore the head slam so I have no faith that any thing will ever change. The playoffs are in their minds a whole different game. Headshots/cheap shots in the playoffs seem to be fine to the NHL.

I think the NHL is stuck right now trying to have it both ways. They want to eliminate headshots with suspensions, but clearly believe that teams/players should have to police the game themselves (even if they won't say it). But I don't believe you can have it both ways, if you want players to police the game then you need to get rid of the instigator rule. The Wings kind of lucked out with Weber because he manned up and knew he had to fight Bertuzzi, but if you look at the Sens game Boyle didn't want to fight Carkner and ended up getting blasted a couple of times. That brings a dangerous area in where if you want retribution, but can't get it by fighting the guy face to face then chances are you're gonna try to hurt that guy in some other way (likely with a cheapshot of your own).

I was just thinking that 2012 will be the year known for when all hell broke loose with violent and cheap shots during playoffs. Shanny tried to set the stage during the regular season, especially if you remember the first few suspensions (like Wiz in CBJ). Now because he was weak ass about the first few in game 1's ... by game 2 in all the series, I've never seen this much of s*** happening in round 1, maybe by the time you get to SCF but never this early. Hagelin on Alfredson, Shaw on Smith, Carkner on Boyle, Burns on Nichols, St. Louis beatdown on SJ after the game ended (loved watching it though ;) ) etc. This is open season WWE on ice. I agree with OP.

Edited by RedWingsRox

I was just thinking that 2012 will be the year known for when all hell broke loose with violent and cheap shots during playoffs. Shanny tried to set the stage during the regular season, especially if you remember the first few suspensions (like Wiz in CBJ). Now because he was weak ass about the first few in game 1's ... by game 2 in all the series, I've never seen this much of s*** happening in round 1, maybe by the time you get to SCF but never this early. Hagelin on Alfredson, Shaw on Smith, Carkner on Boyle, Burns on Nichols, St. Louis beatdown on SJ after the game ended (loved watching it though ;) ) etc. This is open season WWE on ice. I agree with OP.

Put the blame on Shanahan. He set the bar for the playoffs.

Hey, Weber got away with it, so can I.

With as (sort of--better than Campbell anyway) consistent as Shanny was throughout the year, does everyone think these decisions are all him or is there some pressure coming from elsewhere in the league? I thought Shanny did a decent job with a tough position throughout the season, but I lost a lot of respect for him on the Weber decision. I feel like throwing up in my mouth when I say that, because he was always one of my favorite players, but there you have it. Certain things just should not be a part of the game and I think he dropped the ball.

With as (sort of--better than Campbell anyway) consistent as Shanny was throughout the year, does everyone think these decisions are all him or is there some pressure coming from elsewhere in the league? I thought Shanny did a decent job with a tough position throughout the season, but I lost a lot of respect for him on the Weber decision. I feel like throwing up in my mouth when I say that, because he was always one of my favorite players, but there you have it. Certain things just should not be a part of the game and I think he dropped the ball.

I actually had this same thought as well. I honestly believe that he does have pressure coming from the league that will somewhat influence his decision. Having certain players out for a game or 2 (like Weber for instance) turns the tables greatly in Detroit's favor, and that wouldn't be good for the Preds fans. At the same time, it's the players who are doing the actions, they are the ones who would be letting the fans down, and just allowing this s*** to happen is going to get someone seriously injured. I'd hate to see someone's career end because goons can be goony with no fear of retribution from the league (who seems to actually defend these actions by keeping things like the instigator rule in effect...)

I was telling my cousin this today, I think Bettman and in his panic to try and save his bankrupt franchises and ignoring League rules, effects the outcome on the ice too much, and it has a negative results on series outcomes. Well negative for us fans, but positive for him. We've seen two players, Malkin in 2009 and Weber in Game 1, who should have got suspensions, but they didn't. It effected one series against us, and maybe another. Instead of letting things happen, Bettman is favoring his crap markets... And we're just one team, I'm sure fans of other teams have lists of their own, of players who should have been suspended.

I'm starting to wonder too, that the League have told GM's they're going to clean up the game and they should bring in more skilled players. Teams like the Red Wings have made all the moves to be more skilled thinking head shots and fighting will FINALLY be a thing of the past. However, the League has either, fooled teams like Detroit because they want the small markets to win, or are a bunch of ******* and can't control their players.

I almost compare these lack of fines to parents who just let their kids run wild, and instead of properly disciplining their kids, just say, "Stop it, stop it" while their kids are yelling and screaming.

Edited by Barrie

No injury, but the refs gave a MATCH penalty just like I told you guys with the Weber thing (some of you guys told me I had no idea what I was talking about), thats why there will be a suspension for Asham.

Otherwise, no inury-he walks.

Shanahan has no credibility in my book after the bad decision he made regarding the Weber/Z incident. They keep going back to the "soft" punch to the head and completely ignore the head slam so I have no faith that any thing will ever change. The playoffs are in their minds a whole different game. Headshots/cheap shots in the playoffs seem to be fine to the NHL.

he hasn't been legitimate since he gave smith 7 games or w/e for a clean hit and wisniewki that 8 gamer for a love tap. And the 3 gamer for Fistric for a clean hit and sutton 7 games for nothing, and like 3 others for nothing.

Considering the officiating we've seen in our series thus far, the suspending-Weber-would-tilt-the-series-in-Detroit's-favor logic officially holds no water now.

Fair enough, If they did suspend Weber they'd probably just have given Z a game misconduct on the first play of the next game anyway.

Watching CBC and they said the NHL held a conference call with all of the GMs and head coaches in which Bettman made it clear that there would be no commenting or questioning of the officiating and that substantial fines would be assessed to those that spoke out against the officiating.

Seems Bettman and the NHL would rather ignore the problem than fix it. What a joke this league has become under Bettman and his goons.

Watching CBC and they said the NHL held a conference call with all of the GMs and head coaches in which Bettman made it clear that there would be no commenting or questioning of the officiating and that substantial fines would be assessed to those that spoke out against the officiating.

But no subsequent conference call with all the officials telling them to pull their heads out of their asses? Oh wait...

The NHL, Shanny and Bettman are reaping the consequences of their INaction on Weber. They should have laid it out then. And what goes around, especially when it's goonery in hockey, will most definitely come back around and bite you in the butt. As it damn well should. I still wish Babcock would have gotten out there and yelled his ass off and at least, started something. Now, it is so far out of hand that not only will the NHL lose potential new fans, it's gonna lose a bunch that were pretty loyal up to this point. This isn't hockey. It's WWE at it's worst.

The way things have been going, the coaches and GM's don't need to call out or question the officials. A typical 5-year-old could do it.

Very true. But if this call you're talking about is true, is there anything that can be done to get rid of this bulls*** and to try to change the league for the better? or are all the people that are in control (the ones with the $$$$) content with this disgrace to the game of hockey?

If Bettman keeps this bulls*** up, the NHL will sink. Businesses may be able to gain for a little while giving out a crap service/product, but eventually people will find out that it's s*** and stop going back. Something needs to be done with the officiating, I'm not saying that the refs are trying to fix games, but if they're not then there's obviously a lack of eyes out there. For some games it seems like we might as well pick a name out of a hat at random time intervals and call a penalty on whatever team gets picked.