• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

40-some shots is quite a bit.....i get that....

but does it seem to you guys like no one on this team has a shooter's mentality?

There were two occasions i saw in today's game that really stand out to me:

1. Hank coming towards the bottom of the circle along the boards and sets Hudler up with a pass that lands him somewhere very close to the slot. no one is around him and he....one touch passes it back to Hank.

2. i forget who has the puck to the side of the net close to the boards and Filppula is gliding in ready to blast a one timer from the top of the circle and he.....fakes the shot and eventually turns it over.

this team, to me, is void of a shooter. Mule has been fighting the puck in these first three games; he's been relatively invisible.

Hank will shoot....but his shot is above average i think.

Pav will shoot.....but his shot is...well....not that good. :(

maybe (probably) i am talking crazy talk

#2 Mikeal

Mikeal

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 199 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

I agree huds should be shooting a ton more, but generally, I think most our shots are low percentage chances. We need more side to side movement on the goalie.

#3 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

The sky is blue, something else everyone knows, and the Red Wings don't have a legit sniper.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#4 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:07 AM

Elite snipers aren't exactly a dime per dozen.

#5 EastonWings

EastonWings

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:36 AM

40-some shots is quite a bit.....i get that....

but does it seem to you guys like no one on this team has a shooter's mentality?

There were two occasions i saw in today's game that really stand out to me:

1. Hank coming towards the bottom of the circle along the boards and sets Hudler up with a pass that lands him somewhere very close to the slot. no one is around him and he....one touch passes it back to Hank.

2. i forget who has the puck to the side of the net close to the boards and Filppula is gliding in ready to blast a one timer from the top of the circle and he.....fakes the shot and eventually turns it over.

this team, to me, is void of a shooter. Mule has been fighting the puck in these first three games; he's been relatively invisible.

Hank will shoot....but his shot is above average i think.

Pav will shoot.....but his shot is...well....not that good. :(

maybe (probably) i am talking crazy talk

#6 EastonWings

EastonWings

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:48 AM

You hit the nail on the head. Too many guys trying to mAke a play and we lack the guys to finish off at the net. Seems like when we do get a shot. We are no where's near the rebound for those scoring chances. We need a powerfoward like a Jamie Benn James Neal type player. I don't think the wings are far off just some tweaking. Maybe go out and get guys have speed is a start.

#7 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

I remember the one shot hudler took. he shot in right into the defenders knee pads.

they do pass up a lot of opportunities to try to find a better play. thats just the wings

#8 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:34 AM

We had our legit shooter in our graps and he was a great all round team member.... We signed Franzen over Hossa :(

#9 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:14 AM

We had our legit shooter in our graps and he was a great all round team member.... We signed Franzen over Hossa :(

Ah, yes Hossa.... Did we have him in the 2009 playoffs? I cant really remember him doing anything significant. hmmm
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:23 AM

Happy is guilty of this most.

Flipper to a lesser degree IMO.

Sometimes I urge for Datsyuk to shoot but given his individual ability to create scoring chances like nobody's business, he gets a pass.

Other than that they shoot enough. Some of it is low percentage stuff, yes, but I'm of the mentality, get it to the net, you never know what'll happen even if it just generates an offensive zone faceoff or when a goofy rebound might come out, even for solid goaltenders like the one we are facing at present.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 16 April 2012 - 07:25 AM.

#11 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:34 AM

Agreed. I'm not a hockey player, so maybe I don't understand, but I hate how they always dump the puck when carrying it in the zone. 90% of the time Nashville comes out with it. I'd rather them carry it in, risk losing it but be close enough to fight to get it back instead of coming all the way back into their own zone. And I'm tired of perimeter shots when no one goes to the net to catch those juicy rebounds.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#12 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:38 AM

Ah, yes Hossa.... Did we have him in the 2009 playoffs? I cant really remember him doing anything significant. hmmm

He is on the ice and present for more games then Franzen in my opinion... and in his times when he isn't scoring he is always there playing great defensive hockey. He was rather quiet offensively during the play offs for us, it ticked me off too, but just look at the play off he had the year before in Pittsburgh. I just see Hossa as a better all around player then Franzen, he is a shoot first player (which we need), and he works his tail off where Franzen can be absent for games and take stupid penalties.

#13 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:41 AM

Franzen has two goals (one unfortunately disallowed) in three games, while drawing the attention of the entire Nashville team, opening up space for Zetterberg and Datsyuk. It's not distinctly Franzen-like statistics but it's also only three games into the playoffs. He's going to deliver, and in a big way.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#14 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

I like Mules game right now, I do wish that the lines would get mixed a tad though.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

I like Mules game right now, I do wish that the lines would get mixed a tad though.

Agreed. Things have gotten a bit stale on the top two lines IMO

#16 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

You like him only making an impact on the game when hes taking stupid penalties? Odd.

#17 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

Let's not forget:
Attempts Blocked: 19
Shots Missed: 15

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#18 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,996 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

Elite snipers aren't exactly a dime per dozen.

Well shucks!

Don't Toews me, bro!

#19 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

Let's not forget:
Attempts Blocked: 19
Shots Missed: 15

I understand that missing the net is not uncommon, but there was a couple times where Kronner had blasts that went wide.

Gotta hit the net as opposed to trying to pick a corner.

#20 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

i understand that Pavel is a huge part of the defensive system, but I can't help wanting him to be a 40 goal scorer, 65 assist guy.