• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

Shooter's mentality

Rate this topic

40-some shots is quite a bit.....i get that....

but does it seem to you guys like no one on this team has a shooter's mentality?

There were two occasions i saw in today's game that really stand out to me:

1. Hank coming towards the bottom of the circle along the boards and sets Hudler up with a pass that lands him somewhere very close to the slot. no one is around him and he....one touch passes it back to Hank.

2. i forget who has the puck to the side of the net close to the boards and Filppula is gliding in ready to blast a one timer from the top of the circle and he.....fakes the shot and eventually turns it over.

this team, to me, is void of a shooter. Mule has been fighting the puck in these first three games; he's been relatively invisible.

Hank will shoot....but his shot is above average i think.

Pav will shoot.....but his shot is...well....not that good. :(

maybe (probably) i am talking crazy talk

40-some shots is quite a bit.....i get that....

but does it seem to you guys like no one on this team has a shooter's mentality?

There were two occasions i saw in today's game that really stand out to me:

1. Hank coming towards the bottom of the circle along the boards and sets Hudler up with a pass that lands him somewhere very close to the slot. no one is around him and he....one touch passes it back to Hank.

2. i forget who has the puck to the side of the net close to the boards and Filppula is gliding in ready to blast a one timer from the top of the circle and he.....fakes the shot and eventually turns it over.

this team, to me, is void of a shooter. Mule has been fighting the puck in these first three games; he's been relatively invisible.

Hank will shoot....but his shot is above average i think.

Pav will shoot.....but his shot is...well....not that good. :(

maybe (probably) i am talking crazy talk

You hit the nail on the head. Too many guys trying to mAke a play and we lack the guys to finish off at the net. Seems like when we do get a shot. We are no where's near the rebound for those scoring chances. We need a powerfoward like a Jamie Benn James Neal type player. I don't think the wings are far off just some tweaking. Maybe go out and get guys have speed is a start.

We had our legit shooter in our graps and he was a great all round team member.... We signed Franzen over Hossa :(

Ah, yes Hossa.... Did we have him in the 2009 playoffs? I cant really remember him doing anything significant. hmmm

Happy is guilty of this most.

Flipper to a lesser degree IMO.

Sometimes I urge for Datsyuk to shoot but given his individual ability to create scoring chances like nobody's business, he gets a pass.

Other than that they shoot enough. Some of it is low percentage stuff, yes, but I'm of the mentality, get it to the net, you never know what'll happen even if it just generates an offensive zone faceoff or when a goofy rebound might come out, even for solid goaltenders like the one we are facing at present.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Agreed. I'm not a hockey player, so maybe I don't understand, but I hate how they always dump the puck when carrying it in the zone. 90% of the time Nashville comes out with it. I'd rather them carry it in, risk losing it but be close enough to fight to get it back instead of coming all the way back into their own zone. And I'm tired of perimeter shots when no one goes to the net to catch those juicy rebounds.

Ah, yes Hossa.... Did we have him in the 2009 playoffs? I cant really remember him doing anything significant. hmmm

He is on the ice and present for more games then Franzen in my opinion... and in his times when he isn't scoring he is always there playing great defensive hockey. He was rather quiet offensively during the play offs for us, it ticked me off too, but just look at the play off he had the year before in Pittsburgh. I just see Hossa as a better all around player then Franzen, he is a shoot first player (which we need), and he works his tail off where Franzen can be absent for games and take stupid penalties.

Franzen has two goals (one unfortunately disallowed) in three games, while drawing the attention of the entire Nashville team, opening up space for Zetterberg and Datsyuk. It's not distinctly Franzen-like statistics but it's also only three games into the playoffs. He's going to deliver, and in a big way.

There were some wide open nets where they simply couldn't bury it like Rinne's huge save on Zetterberg, Emmerton's open net shot being blocked by a stick and Pavel completely missing what would have been his 2nd goal. Wings could easily be up 2-1 or 3-0 if they capitalized on these easy goals.

Edited by dropkickshanahans

There were some wide open nets where they simply couldn't bury it like Rinne's huge save on Zetterberg, Emmerton's open net shot being blocked by a stick and Pavel completely missing what would have been his 2nd goal. Wings could easily be up 2-1 or 3-0 if they capitalized on these easy goals.

It's all about pace. Nothing is easy at the pace of that game.