• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BMoSki4

Nashville or Detroit: Better Hockey Fans?

Rate this topic

From the Forum Rules:

I. General Posting Etiquette

The LetsGoWings.com Forums boast a wide variety of hockey fans from all ages, walks of life, and places around the world. With that in mind, the goal of these forums is to maintain quality hockey discussion for everyone. The Moderator Staff at LGW.com is specifically instructed to help keep the disourse in the hockey discussion areas free of off-topic banter, thread derailment, or posts that don't add anything to the discussion. Members (or potential members) shouldn't be discouraged from posting due to their team affiliation or the posting style of other members. With that in mind, these measures are being taken to keep the quality of the discussion on the forums at a high standard:

The short version is that fans of other teams are welcome here and no matter who you root for the idea is to for everyone to play nice and talk hockey.

Everyone doesn't need to get their hackles up just because it's a fan from another team. If they act like a troll, they won't last here very long.

And if any fan of any team is trolling or violating forum guidelines, please report the post so it will be brought to a mods attention.

From the Forum Rules:

The short version is that fans of other teams are welcome here and no matter who you root for the idea is to for everyone to play nice and talk hockey.

Everyone doesn't need to get their hackles up just because it's a fan from another team. If they act like a troll, they won't last here very long.

Let me clarify, if this reply was aimed toward what I said above. I wasn't saying "get off our forums" or anything like that, but the fact is right now, we are down in the series 2-1 and the last thing on a lot of our minds is to welcome opposing team's fans with open arms considering the current standing of the matchup. It's tense, it's heated, and if Preds fans want to come here in this situation right now that's fine but understand that there's fans here that have been watching the Wings longer than the Preds have existed and expecting a friendly environment is unrealistic. It's not hatred, it's passion for our team. No disrespect intended to any outside non-Wing fans, but I won't be visiting other team's fan sites especially during the playoffs.

Update::

Who has the better fans?

Nashville Predators or Detroit Red Wings?

Detroit. 51.05% (2,883 votes)

Nashville. 48.95% (2,764 votes)

Keep voting!!

Edited by Wingzman91

Let me clarify, if this reply was aimed toward what I said above. I wasn't saying "get off our forums" or anything like that, but the fact is right now, we are down in the series 2-1 and the last thing on a lot of our minds is to welcome opposing team's fans with open arms considering the current standing of the matchup. It's tense, it's heated, and if Preds fans want to come here in this situation right now that's fine but understand that there's fans here that have been watching the Wings longer than the Preds have existed and expecting a friendly environment is unrealistic. It's not hatred, it's passion for our team. No disrespect intended to any outside non-Wing fans, but I won't be visiting other team's fan sites especially during the playoffs.

Honestly my post was a general response to some of the attitude shown in this thread.

Fans of opposing teams should be aware that things are probably a little tense here when the Wings are behind in a series, and Wings fans shouldn't automatically assume a fan of another team is here to troll. That's all I was saying.

As a mod I probably shouldn't derail threads further than they already are, so let's get back on topic about whatever is going on with this poll.

I am a STH of the Nashville Predators and I have never seen anyone trash the arena. How so do you account for this claim?

Also a fan base that is loyal? The Nashville Predators fans rallied and damn near rioted when they even thought about moving the team and helped it stay put and it has thrived ever sense garnering tons of respect along the years across the league.

When I think of loyal Red Wings fans I think about seeing them get up and leave during Game 3 with plenty of time to try and mount a come back attempt. Never, unless the game was just ridiculously out of reach late in the 3rd have I seen Predator fans leaving. Especially with it being a playoff game! Shame...

This is gonna sound simple and like a slam at you....which its totally not, but with expectations as high as the Wings have set.....sometimes apathy sets in. Not saying its right, but it is indeed true. We are spoiled here, no doubt.....that comes from a long history of success.

A comparison if you will. Wayne Gretzky during his prime could have a season where he scored 42 goals and added 60 assists.....a career season for 80% of the players in the league, but to him.....its viewed as a letdown, why? Because he has set the bar so high. Some teams are content to make the playoffs, others view anything less than the Cup a complete failure. The Preds may very well win Cups in the near future, and when they do.....the expectations of themselves, and their fans will change.......right or wrong, its human nature.

Edited by Wingedwheeler2

I've never been a fan of these silly 'more votes mean you are better" poles (or the x amount of posts for a win threads for that matter). But it's pretty obvious that the Nashville fans create a way more awesome atmosphere at their arena than the Wings fans do at the Joe.

I don't want to hear any s*** about Nashville finally having something to cheer about; it doesn't matter; their crowd is way better than our crowd. I would venture to list their crowd in the top 3-5 in the NHL.

And while were at it, I roll my eyes everytime I hear Ken Daniels say it's another sellout crowd at the Joe and you see tons of empty seats on tv. So, all the seats have been sold, tickets are all paid for, yet people would rather not go? That's embarrassing. People always respond with "Well, they are corporate tickets"; Yeah, no s***, and nobody wnats them so they are just sitting in a drawer at the office? WTF.

The best games at the Joe are when the Canadians come over from Toronto and and yell agsinst their Canadian Wing fan counterparts from Windsor, or the games that the college kids came to last year when they started the Todd Ber TU Zi chant.

Face it, other than that, the crowd is too quiet too often.

When was the last time you were at the Joe?

We should go vote for Nashville. Maybe the winner gets a ribbon or something. Then they'd have something to hang from their rafters. That would be nice for them, and it would show that we're the better fans because we care.

Don't take this seriously.

I am a STH of the Nashville Predators and I have never seen anyone trash the arena. How so do you account for this claim?

Also a fan base that is loyal? The Nashville Predators fans rallied and damn near rioted when they even thought about moving the team and helped it stay put and it has thrived ever sense garnering tons of respect along the years across the league.

When I think of loyal Red Wings fans I think about seeing them get up and leave during Game 3 with plenty of time to try and mount a come back attempt. Never, unless the game was just ridiculously out of reach late in the 3rd have I seen Predator fans leaving. Especially with it being a playoff game! Shame...

HAHAH. Seriously.

He man, all 8 years of hockey "heritage" counts for something, right?

You guys need to get a clue.

When was the last time you were at the Joe?

Two season ago vs Chicago. I travel back to Mi all the time to see my parents and my brother's family and for business. My wife get's me tickets to see the Wings in Vancouver. She has business trips to San Jose that have often lined up with a Wings west coast trip so I go along and go to the Shark Tank. I haven't been to Comerica Park yet, although my best friend was a crane operator on the project. don't ever need to go see another NBA game, although i used to see The Bad Boys all the time. Haven't been to Ford Field yet.

Not so much anymore, but when I first moved out here, I was going to alot of games. There are 6 pro teams within an hour and a half from our house. My buddy played for the Chiliwack Chiefs in the BCHL and we'd go to atleast 6-8 games a year.

People need to realize that hockey is not an overly complicated game to learn. If you've got any type of team sports background, it's simple to get an adequate basic understanding of the game. My wife became a fairly knowledgeable player and fan in one season.

When I see a million fans in downtown Nashville for a Stanley Cup parade.....then we can start the comparisons.

When I see a million fans in downtown Nashville for a Stanley Cup parade

million fans in downtown Nashville for a Stanley Cup parade

Nashville for a Stanley Cup parade

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I've never been a fan of these silly 'more votes mean you are better" poles (or the x amount of posts for a win threads for that matter). But it's pretty obvious that the Nashville fans create a way more awesome atmosphere at their arena than the Wings fans do at the Joe.

I don't want to hear any s*** about Nashville finally having something to cheer about; it doesn't matter; their crowd is way better than our crowd. I would venture to list their crowd in the top 3-5 in the NHL.

And while were at it, I roll my eyes everytime I hear Ken Daniels say it's another sellout crowd at the Joe and you see tons of empty seats on tv. So, all the seats have been sold, tickets are all paid for, yet people would rather not go? That's embarrassing. People always respond with "Well, they are corporate tickets"; Yeah, no s***, and nobody wnats them so they are just sitting in a drawer at the office? WTF.

The best games at the Joe are when the Canadians come over from Toronto and and yell agsinst their Canadian Wing fan counterparts from Windsor, or the games that the college kids came to last year when they started the Todd Ber TU Zi chant.

Face it, other than that, the crowd is too quiet too often.

Actually, the bolded is 100% accurate. No team has had the success for as long as Detroit has had, so you cannot compare their fanbase mentality to ours. We have fans who expect conference finals finishes each year (warranted or not isn't the point). Nashville's fanbase is excited for a potential Stanley Cup run. Of course they are going to have more vocal and excited fans. They haven't had a single conference final appearance in their history, and this is the first year for them it is a reality.

Remember how loud the Bluejackets fanbase was in 2009? Same exact scenario. If the honeymoon wears off and the Predators have consistent success to the degree the Red Wings did in the mid/late 90s, their fans will be less vocal and crazy in the early rounds.

I can honestly tell you the Predators NHL forum is not like that at all. We have a few Wings fans on there who are from Nashville and we have civil, sometimes classy jabbing, but all around civil discussions.

If someone if on your forum and not there to troll but to discuss the series with the rival team's fans I see no harm.

I can't stand the Facebook Team Pages that get flooded with opposing team trolls that ruin good discussions so I know what you're saying and I definitely do not fit the same bill.

I know there isn't much love loss between the teams and apparently the fans but that doesn't mean we can't debate and discuss, agree to disagree on topics without resorting to classless name calling, etc.

Thats such a load of CRAP!!!!....I made one comment on your board in 2010 to congratulate your team on how well they were doing...and got attacked within seconds, and i have already told you that, but you keep running that bull...whatever! but you need to quit acting like your fans are HOLIER THAN THOU!! when we both no its CRAP!!!...go ahead and ignore me again cause you know you will! im getting fed up with you acting so injured when all you have been doing is trying to rile Wings fans...then act all Innocent!

When I see a million fans in downtown Nashville for a Stanley Cup parade.....then we can start the comparisons.

That's really not fair. We should wait until at least their 7th or 8th Cup to give them a chance to get it down pat like we have it.

Actually, the bolded is 100% accurate. No team has had the success for as long as Detroit has had, so you cannot compare their fanbase mentality to ours. We have fans who expect conference finals finishes each year (warranted or not isn't the point). Nashville's fanbase is excited for a potential Stanley Cup run. Of course they are going to have more vocal and excited fans. They haven't had a single conference final appearance in their history, and this is the first year for them it is a reality.

Remember how loud the Bluejackets fanbase was in 2009? Same exact scenario. If the honeymoon wears off and the Predators have consistent success to the degree the Red Wings did in the mid/late 90s, their fans will be less vocal and crazy in the early rounds.

Just because we expect it, doesn't mean we should not be cheering our assess off every single step of the way. If they are playing their asses off, the least we can do is to cheer our asses and rock the Joe. Complacency does not have to equal quiet and lazy.

I totally understand what you are saying (which is why I wrote it in the first place), but i totally disagree that it should be relevent.

Part of the problem is that the OP (and the article for that matter) isn't qualifying what exactly it is we are comparing. Give us some perameters to measure "better fan".

I specifically said they have a better "crowd" than we do, and all you have to do is listen to know that. And the fact that Detroit fans are complacent apparently is a strike against them when it comes to fans (i.e., the crowd) creating an atmosphere to play in. I'm not happy about it, but c'mon, you know it's true.

If I were Illitch, I would designate a few sections as student sections to be sold at a discount. Maybe even offer a cheap bus ride from East Lansing and Ann Arbor or something. The college kids get the chants started and that's what;s missing. How awesome was the "TODD Ber TU Zi"

Edited by T.Low

The Preds board is totally NOT civil. I went in there to gain an opposing fans viewpoint......and I jokingly made my screen name "wingstroll2" because in a thread they were upset because "there was only 1 wings troll in the thread"

Well....it started civil enough....but once I made a comment about how Barry Trotz was "Not a handsome man" all of a sudden, here comes the "Detroit is a crap hole" "your city is full of crackheads and rapists" and then they went to the "your a troll" card.

Funny thing.....I was the one keeping threads on topic....go figure. Needless to say....I schooled one of their "big dogs" and they didn't like that.....so after a few conversations via PM with one of the mods.....who I accused of censorship, they banned me. Lol!

Their fine as long as you agree with the establishment......if you swim upstream, you're a troll and they censor you.

The Preds board is totally NOT civil. I went in there to gain an opposing fans viewpoint......and I jokingly made my screen name "wingstroll2" because in a thread they were upset because "there was only 1 wings troll in the thread"

Well....it started civil enough....but once I made a comment about how Barry Trotz was "Not a handsome man" all of a sudden, here comes the "Detroit is a crap hole" "your city is full of crackheads and rapists" and then they went to the "your a troll" card.

Funny thing.....I was the one keeping threads on topic....go figure. Needless to say....I schooled one of their "big dogs" and they didn't like that.....so after a few conversations via PM with one of the mods.....who I accused of censorship, they banned me. Lol!

Their fine as long as you agree with the establishment......if you swim upstream, you're a troll and they censor you.

Well with that username you really weren't helping your chances.

It's funny how people don't always see it when they're back on their own team's site. But in general sites are a little uppity with fans of their opponents come playoff time. There's a few forums on hfboards that have really civil fans. Almost shockingly so.

And just to a reminder. I'm not implying you did, but if members of LGW are found to be trolling other team's forums, it results in a suspension here. Aside from making Wings fans look bad, we don't want people stirring up things and bringing trolls to this site.