• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BMoSki4

Nashville or Detroit: Better Hockey Fans?

Rate this topic

Seriously - who cares?

I agree 100%.

Crazy that people would give enough a s*** to vote in a stroke me off piece a garbage let alone a thread to go along with it, just screams "hate", just look at the last 3 pages or so. Just silly.

Guest Johnz96

Judging from various forums, a lot of Red Wing fans are band wagon fans who jumped on years ago or even decades ago and the Wings haven't given them reason to jump off. They are the most unappreciative, ignorant, juvenile, unrealistic and down right nasty group of fans I have ever come across. Although I doubt it will happen I am kinda hoping the Wings don't make the playoff so some of them will jump ship.

Judging from various forums, a lot of Red Wing fans are band wagon fans who jumped on years ago or even decades ago and the Wings haven't given them reason to jump off. They are the most unappreciative, ignorant, juvenile, unrealistic and down right nasty group of fans I have ever come across. Although I doubt it will happen I am kinda hoping the Wings don't make the playoff so some of them will jump ship.

Is there anything about the Wings you DO like?

Guest Johnz96

Is there anything about the Wings you DO like?

I like everything about the Wings in fact I am often accused of being too much of a homer. What I don't like is ungrateful fans vilifying them. People that imply that Holland is incompetent, talking like that last 4 years were a total failure yet in reality we actually have more wins (reg season AND playoffs) than any other team, constantly saying hateful things about our 2 top goal scorers, seems like a lot of people would prefer anybody new rather than the guys that have provided us with unmatched success.

I think a lot of these so called fans wouldn't be Wings fans if we hadn't been so dominant for so long and the worst of those would jump off if we weren't so dominant

Yeah, like a lot of us younger Red Wings fans had control over being born and growing up during their marvelous run. I'm sure those fans exist, but you are making some serious over generalizations there.

Even more annoying than this "better fans" debate are people that try to judge what constitutes a "real" fan.

Guest Johnz96

Yeah, like a lot of us younger Red Wings fans had control over being born and growing up during their marvelous run. I'm sure those fans exist, but you are making some serious over generalizations there.

Even more annoying than this "better fans" debate are people that try to judge what constitutes a "real" fan.

It's just so aggravating to see all this whining, bitching, complaining and down right hating from "fans" towards the Wings when they are the most successful professional sports franchise in the world for the last 25 years and despite not winning the Cup the winningest team in the NHL over the last 4 years.

I understand that this is a forum where we are supposed to express our opinions but when they are so extreme and hateful it really pisses me off.

I don't agree with everything he does (I think we overpayed a little for Tootoo and Gustavsson and I really don't understand signing Samuelsson as I think he will occupy space on the team that could be occupied by younger players that I believe are already as good as he is and are only going to get better and that their development will stall without the benefit of playing for and against the best there is) but I would never suggest he is incompetent, lazy or needs to get fired. That's just ignorant.

And some of the hate expressed for some of the players is just asinine. I know we are not all going to like all the players but some go way overboard in expressing that dislike.

We have more wins in the regular season and more wins in the playoffs in the last 4 years than any other team. I am quite confident that the same could be said for any 4 year stretch for more than a quarter century now. I for one appreciate the effort and feel that I am lucky to be a Wings fan and am thankful that I did not grow up a fan of any other

Edited by Johnz96

What is the definition of "better fans"?

It always kind of annoyed me how a successful team's fans are, for some reason, automatically labeled as "great fans" or "the best fans in the league". Why is that the case? Makes no sense.

It's pretty damn easy to root for a successful team. Fans will rally behind a team that wins for years, that team acquires a huge fan base and then claims some sort of elite status as fans?

I'm not sure how that works...but whatever.

Quantity does not necessarily equal quality.

I'll say this...

Fans who stick by their team and support their team to the death when their team hasn't won anything...ever...I think that says a whole hell of a lot more about the quality of a team's fan base than fans who root for a team who has won a bunch of cups and seems to always be a contender.

I speak of which I know. The Blues haven't won anything, except a few trips to the finals early on...and the fan base here is pretty rabid and loyal.

I think it's kind of lame to, as a whole, claim some sort of superiority over another team's fan base, based on how good the team is. I get that it's all in fun...but it's still kind of weird to hear folks get pissed off about it.

Edited by cprice12

Very interesting online pole considering the Nashville Organization has used the Wings as a template and bumped us from the playoffs this year in 5 games.

The timing is couldn't be worse considering many people in Detroit are still mending due to the loss of Lids and Suter no signing here. On top of that, whole Shea debacle with his play against Hank and the offer sheet being from Philly.

Don't put too much thought into it folks, the intent was for fun, but now it is turning ugly.

Edited by Rivalred

Oh I see another butt hurt post about Detroit and their fans....figures.

Yeah this is an old one and I couldn't care less what other fans think or say about me as a fan. I do think Detroit does have one of the greatest fan bases in the NHL. They may be the best or not I think that's all subjective. I think lower teams that haven't won any cups or much of anything are going to disagree that Detroit has the best fans simply because of being envious. Other fans hate Detroit and hate their fans simply for the fact that we do win a lot so they will never get past that and vote Detroit the better fans.

Sorry we have only been around for 14 years. It's not our fault we weren't blessed with a National Hockey Team until 1998 but hockey has been around in Nashville since the 60s so some of us aren't as dumb to the sport as you may like to think.

I've never said Nashville knew any more about hockey than a die hard Detroit fan either.

I'm simply saying it's not fair to write us off as hicks with no grasp of the sport because we are from the South.

Oh and those weren't towels they were shirts and I'm sure most of them were thrown by visiting Red Wings fans and possibly a few Predators fans who didn't care for an XL Shirt. I have about 20 of them in my drawer from playoffs because they are way too big to wear. I guess some folks decided to donate their to the ice smile.gif They will go to charities now instead of not being worn.

Bobby Boucher....I don't want you playing that foosball...foosball is the devil!