• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

WCQF Game Four GDT : Predators 3 at Red Wings 1

Rate this topic

I don't know what it is, but I'm not as emotional after this loss as I was after game 3. I don't know if it's because I was more hesitant to expect a win or what. After the game 2 win I thought for sure the wings would take hold of this series, but from the first 2 minutes of the game 3, with the penalty, early goal against, and then a barrage of penalties, I could barely contain myself.

Tonight I didn't get my hopes up much...

Haha, if that was a correct number you would be right. I think 5.2 was an average you found. "Hossa will make $7.9 million each of the first seven years of the deal." Link

That absolutely is his cap hit. Holland low-balled him with a front-loaded deal that had something like a $4 million cap hit.

Better change the lines for next game. Im thinking old school

Zetterberg Datsyuk Holmstrom. Homer might be slow but he skates and battles his heart out

Franzen Filppula Hudler. All the playoff no shows. Maybe something will happen

Cleary Abs Bertuzzi. Hit and grind it out

Miller Emmerton Mursak. If your not going to use nyquist on a top line why even play him. Hes not going to be effective with homer and emmerton. Bring the speed

Ya, well if we are talking actual salaries and NOT cap hit, then Franzen is at $5.25M and Hudler was $3M...so, Hossa at $7.9M or Franzen/Hudler at $8.25M....Holland still sucks...

I'ld take two great players over one super awesome player any day. Good thing you picked Huds and Mule, they strengthen my argument. Those two were the two top goal scorers on the team this year. Plus, look at Dats. Pasha is arguably the greatest player on the ice, but he is part of a TEAM. If the chemistry isnt right, it doesnt matter how good a single player is. (check how the Wings did in the '09 playoffs, Hossa was behind Hank, Franzen, Lids, and Filp in points, and was 10th on the roster for +/-)

I think this team has had some bad luck this series that is giving off a false impression of them being far worse than they actually are, but even then, I don't think this is a team that could win a Stanley Cup. The '08/'09 teams were absolutely stacked in terms of depth, and that's definitely not the case anymore. The second and third lines are too inconsistent, some of the guys have been playing much worse than they did back then, and some of them just aren't good enough to warrant being on the lines that they are. The glut of talent from those years has been replaced by a bunch of holes that Holland did an inadequate short-term job of patching up with the cheapest players available at the time because he couldn't find long-term solutions via the free agent market (where value admittedly comes at a steep premium) or trade (where we don't have the assets to get teams to give up current talent).

Signing some high-quality free agents is a must. Especially a top D-man, as there will be a terrifying lack of talent there if Stuart leaves and Lidstrom retires. Maybe even find some way to swing Nash from Columbus. Bring in the youth players too, and get rid of the most obvious of the dead weight and spare parts that just can't cut it anymore.

Zetterberg Datsyuk Holmstrom. Homer might be slow but he skates and battles his heart out

Miller Emmerton Mursak. If your not going to use nyquist on a top line why even play him. Hes not going to be effective with homer and emmerton. Bring the speed

So true about Nyquist. He's clearly not ready to play in the NHL since he is expected to be a point producer. I don't understand why he was in the lineup this whole time. It's the playoffs; you know everything tightens up and there's no room out there. Putting in an inexperienced kid out there is not a good idea. And on top of that, they put him on the fourth line? WTF

I'ld take two great players over one super awesome player any day. Good thing you picked Huds and Mule, they strengthen my argument. Those two were the two top goal scorers on the team this year. Plus, look at Dats. Pasha is arguably the greatest player on the ice, but he is part of a TEAM. If the chemistry isnt right, it doesnt matter how good a single player is. (check how the Wings did in the '09 playoffs, Hossa was behind Hank, Franzen, Lids, and Filp in points, and was 10th on the roster for +/-)

Ok thats not fair, reg season vs playoffs. My main point is that its not that the players arent good enough/try hard enough, its that the lines currently are not meshing well.

here is wht i hope to see next game:

1st line: Datsyuk Zetterberg Hudler

2nd line: Franzen Bertuzzi Cleary

3rd line: Filpula Abdelkader Miller

4th line: Emmerton Holmstrom Nyquist

Hossa was a harder worker than just about anyone on the team in his time here. He hustled like few guys in the entire game and had phenomenal two-way presence because of it. On top of that, he's a bonafide superstar.

And he really, really, really wanted to be here and turned down a lot of money and security to even get a chance at one year.

I would build a team around a guy like that any day over a floater like Franzen and a guy who peaced out to Russia for money.

Hossa was a harder worker than just about anyone on the team in his time here. He hustled like few guys in the entire game and had phenomenal two-way presence because of it. On top of that, he's a bonafide superstar.

And he really, really, really wanted to be here and turned down a lot of money and security to even get a chance at one year.

I would build a team around a guy like that any day over a floater like Franzen and a guy who peaced out to Russia for money.

Yah, ok i can see that. The thing is though it seems hard to judge Franzen. Sometimes he is a massive presence and can be a superstar. Other times it looks like Homer 2.0 out there

I think you're right. We're going to live or die on the old magic.

What does Howard make? 4 mill I thought i saw posted above? that's average for a goalie. The top goalies make 7 or more. I think Rinne makes 7 mill a year. I think Luongo (not a top goalie though but paid like it) also makes 7 or more.

Howard is not the problem on this team. We cannot recover when we make mistakes because we have no speed on this team. Helm is the only player, but otherwise, who can out skate another player to the puck? Too small, too slow.

I don't think we need fighters, but we need size and we need speed.

What does Howard make? 4 mill I thought i saw posted above? that's average for a goalie. The top goalies make 7 or more. I think Rinne makes 7 mill a year. I think Luongo (not a top goalie though but paid like it) also makes 7 or more.

Howard is not the problem on this team. We cannot recover when we make mistakes because we have no speed on this team. Helm is the only player, but otherwise, who can out skate another player to the puck? Too small, too slow.

I don't think we need fighters, but we need size and we need speed.

Howard's salary is $2.25 mil

Edit: and he certainly played like it tonight.

Edited by atodaso

Yah, ok i can see that. The thing is though it seems hard to judge Franzen. Sometimes he is a massive presence and can be a superstar. Other times it looks like Homer 2.0 out there

I would've kept Franzen with his deal, let Hudler walk and traded Flip. Hossa's contract is covered by Hudler and Flip, we still have some room to go after quality guys on the cheap like Eaves and Bert (which we ended up having to do anyways when everyone walked away from Holland and he had no backup plan). I don't like what Franzen's become since then, but who's to know. It's still not a terrible deal when you really think about it and he might have had a bit more consistency with another guy like Hossa in the mix who had consistent superstar talent on par with Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

I would've kept Franzen with his deal, let Hudler walk and traded Flip. Hossa's contract is covered by Hudler and Flip, we still have some room to go after quality guys on the cheap like Eaves and Bert (which we ended up having to do anyways when everyone walked away from Holland and he had no backup plan). I don't like what Franzen's become since then, but who's to know. It's still not a terrible deal when you really think about it and he might have had a bit more consistency with another guy like Hossa in the mix who had consistent superstar talent on par with Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

Did Holland know Hudler would say "f*** off" and take more money from the KHL? In that case YES, Holland made a mistake, otherwise, I think his choice was justified by the numbers Huds and Filp had that post season

Typical CBC favoring the team with the most Canadians in their broadcast. If the Wings get eliminated, they'll be happy until they see their ratings for the first game on the 2nd round, and watch some of their advertisers drop out. With the Wings gone, there goes half their audience.

What do you expect from a TV station that's run by the Government? The Government doesn't know how to make money, they only know how to waste it and expect the tax payers to pay for their mistakes.

I'm trying to find some kind of hope in the midst of all of this crap. Those of you who have better memories - I seem to remember that, in one of the years the Wings won the cup, that we fell behind in a series against the Blues. One of those losses was due to a shot by Al McGuiness (sp?) who scored on a shot from center ice. God, was I pissed. I was sure that was the end of the Wings as we knew them. But they came back! I'm hoping that they might pull this one out yet, but we certainly don't have the players we did in those days.

Also, I can't help but think that if Howard had been playing as good as Rinne, somebody on the Preds would have flattened him by now. I don't want the Wings to run at Rinne, but I just think it would have happened.