• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

WCQF Game Four GDT : Predators 3 at Red Wings 1

Rate this topic

And it doesn't help that there isn't anybody on this team that can shoot the puck without handling it for a good 3 seconds first. How many one timers have the wings taken? I say stop trying to screen the goalie it's just bringing their defensemen right over to make it easier to block the shot. All those empty net chances wouldn't be deflected if both their defensemen were chasing their man instead of using the good ole' three man goalie defence.

In 3 games Johan Franzen has one point, the goal that bounced off him into the net.

9 Shots on goal. 8 penalty minutes. -1.

Where's the playoff beast that's the justifies tolerating his half-assed regular season play?

He's so clutch. I've only noticed him when he is taking stupid penalties and watching puck battles from the faceoff dot. Sounds like regular season Franzen to me.

Although I'm agreeing on most of what has been said in all those long 74pages....

Aren't you all sure that the luck is a huge factor in this series? sure we also have to admitt Rinne has played stellar, but in game 3 for instance, how saves have been made by D-men or else....

To me now, backock should remodel his line-up.... and make something about that second line which is the worst of all 4.

Is it just me or we've been better 4-on-4 than on the powerplay?

Maybe the strategy would be to create those situation more often :D

The Huge Factor in this series still is goaltending.... Howard since his injury haven't been playing Vezina style like he has been in the beginning of the season.

didnt the wings just get zetterberg back last season against the sharks to win 3 straight? who are we getting back this year that is going to make that difference?

i think im taking this loss harder then game 7 both last year and 09. cause wings had every bit of control and opportunity. refs were in wings favor all night even called back a sure goal for them. they simply choked.

I think some people are forgetting that Howard has been superb for most of the regular season. He was a big part of the streak, and he's kept us in some vital games. Now I'll be the first to admit he's not had the greatest end to the season or start of the Playoffs, but since the Canucks beat us at home, we've been a poor team. It's not just Jimmy Howard - it's the entire team.

In Howard we trust.

How anyone can blame Howard for this most recent loss, and these losses in general is beyond me. Sure, look at the stats, shots against and goals against, and its not pretty, but instead of using stats, use your eyes. He didnt have a chance on any of the 3 goals tonight due to the sloppy play in front of him. Much the same as in the other games. He's made alot of big saves through these games, but christ, when three defenders chase erat into the corner and there is NOBODY to take Klein out front, what do you think is going to happen? When cleary turns it over in front of the net, guess what? It's just ridiculous. Nasvhille is taking it to us, taking away time and space, getting after the puck and this team is just standing around and watching in awe. It's ridiculous. It's even more ridiculous to blame the goaltending for all the ridiculous breakdowns and turnovers.

How anyone can blame Howard for this most recent loss, and these losses in general is beyond me. Sure, look at the stats, shots against and goals against, and its not pretty, but instead of using stats, use your eyes. He didnt have a chance on any of the 3 goals tonight due to the sloppy play in front of him. Much the same as in the other games. He's made alot of big saves through these games, but christ, when three defenders chase erat into the corner and there is NOBODY to take Klein out front, what do you think is going to happen? When cleary turns it over in front of the net, guess what? It's just ridiculous. Nasvhille is taking it to us, taking away time and space, getting after the puck and this team is just standing around and watching in awe. It's ridiculous. It's even more ridiculous to blame the goaltending for all the ridiculous breakdowns and turnovers.

Howard violated textbook goalie training. Cover the posts when action is down there. This game was all on him. Sure, the offense should have buried their chances, but if not for Howard the Wings could have won 1-0. Every goal he let in was a softie. When they were asked after the game what they change after dominating a game like that and still losing, I couldn't help but think that THEY can't do anything, it all hinges on Howard not sucking the next three games.

After Howard got gifted that no goal call then he goes and let's one in less than a minute after I knew the game was over. Wings can't capitalize when the hockey gods did everything they could for them to win. But oh boy did they ever dominate by cycling the puck for two whole periods. The wings haven't shown any skill the whole series other than Datsyuk's steal behind the net goal... cycle, cycle, cycle.... throw it at the net... cycle, cycle, cycle ... point shot.. blocked. That's bad coaching. They're doing the same thing on the power play that's how you know nobody is coaching this team. Nashville is giving them the boards it's not like they're getting frustrated cause Detroit keeps cycling. They let Datsyuk sit there on the half boards and just stand still acting like he's gonna do something crazy but then all he does is pass to the point or swing it behind the net. This team isn't being coached. Nashville will take that offensive pressure all day.

I agree with you 100%. Babcock is being outcoached again. Look what Hitchcock did for St. Louis. But to be honest, a team needs the horses. On defence, the workhorses are not there - we need bigger and faster. As a matter of fact, the whole team needs to get bigger and faster.

Luck is just a convenient excuse. You create your own luck by working hard.

basically, the entire point of acquiring good players is to negate any sort of possible luck required. Like I've seen posted a few times already though, at least we don't have to hear people crying about refs or injuries this year. I know Helm set us back, but he certainly wouldn't have netted us 2 goals a game, when overrated pieces of s*** like Franzen can't get 2 goals in a ******* series.

are you kidding me? Howard was so far out of the crease on that 2nd goal I thought he was trying to make the same hit Schenn made in the Philly series. At the end of the day though Howard is only paid $3 mill and plays well for his price tag, it's Hollands fault for not surrounding him with the protection from the remaining cap space made. Holland should have 1 more year to try to unf*** this team, and if it doesn't work his ass should be looking to go GM somewhere like Toronto. Personally I don't even think Babcock likes this team from how he was answering questions regarding the Weber/Z incident, then practically giving Weber a blow job in an interview a few days later

After glancing over the comments here in this thread, I am glad about one thing....

That the Red Wings Management is in charge of this team.

Does the team need some change? You bet it does, and Holland will make the changes necessary to make them competitive. People soon forget the 4 cups in the last 15 years, which is more than any other team in the NHL has gotten in that time. Wings fans are spoiled, and they expect a championship every season. That kind of thing doesn't happen every year though. People still get all giddy when they think about the team we had in 2002 and how that was a guaranteed cup win, and yet that team was almost eliminated by Colorado in the WCF. Vancouver kept the same team as last season, thinking that they were going to be able to make it to the cup finals again, and that didn't work out. Hell, everyone was banking on Pittsburgh doing some good and look how that series is turning out.

Getting through the playoff grind takes more than skill. It takes some puck luck, which the Wings haven't had this series, and health, which the Wings have also not had this series by losing Darren Helm.

I am not going to blame Holland or Babs for these losses. The team is just what Holland built. A team that was at the top of the NHL before they hit the injury bug. No depth? You are right about that. The Wings should have signed players in the offseason to address the depth. The cost in draft picks to be active at the trade deadline were ludicrous. I wouldn't have spent that much to give away our futures.

In the end, the Wings may be done this series, and if they are Holland and company will go back to work. Next season, we will have new players and make a 23rd consecutive playoff appearance. We may even be #1 in the NHL again which the fans here will be raving about. Then, in the playoffs (1st or 2nd round), we will be out of it again and everyone will be screaming for the heads of the coaching staff and management team. Because here in Detroit, its either cup or failure. Those are pretty lofty standards.

It's like Canucks fans blaming Luongo when they can't score a goal, Jimmy wasn't good but we have to find a way to put the puck in the net and score on the PP. I told a couple of friends before this series started that I felt we could play good hockey and control these guys and still be in trouble because of the Rinne factor..clearly this has happened. We have clearly out played these guys for the majority of the series but there are no pictures on the score sheet...just stats. Mentally they don't make any huge mistakes like we do and when they do Rinne makes a save and when we do we look like we did on the 2nd goal. It's a 7 game series for a reason..cue the cliches.

It's like Canucks fans blaming Luongo when they can't score a goal, Jimmy wasn't good but we have to find a way to put the puck in the net and score on the PP. I told a couple of friends before this series started that I felt we could play good hockey and control these guys and still be in trouble because of the Rinne factor..clearly this has happened. We have clearly out played these guys for the majority of the series but there are no pictures on the score sheet...just stats. Mentally they don't make any huge mistakes like we do and when they do Rinne makes a save and when we do we look like we did on the 2nd goal. It's a 7 game series for a reason..cue the cliches.

Again, Howard is not the one to blame for the scoring woes obviously, but there is something to be said about momentum/energy killing goaltending. Preds scored from below the goal-line when it was 0-0, and the refs blew the call and waived it. The very next shot, back of your net. White and Howard both looked like pee wees on the 2nd goal (the game-winner). And the last goal, while a sloppy play by his defense, caught him snoozing.

Howard stopped all of 10 shots through 2 periods, then let 4 by him in the third, all the while the Wings carried play. You win games against good goaltender by attrition. It was all Wings until the uber weak goal that was deemed dead. After they scored one that stuck, the Wings came back and scored. Then that awful 2nd goal, manageable. Then the 3rd goal made it insurmountable. If Howard had played even half as good as he is capable of, this game should have ended 1-0 or 2-1 in the Wing's favor.

Rinne stopped 40 of 41 shots. Howard stopped 14 of 17 (18) with a save percentage of .823 (.778). It was all Wings until the puck went in their net.

Again, Howard is not the one to blame for the scoring woes obviously, but there is something to be said about momentum/energy killing goaltending. Preds scored from below the goal-line when it was 0-0, and the refs blew the call and waived it. The very next shot, back of your net. White and Howard both looked like pee wees on the 2nd goal (the game-winner). And the last goal, while a sloppy play by his defense, caught him snoozing.

Howard stopped all of 10 shots through 2 periods, then let 4 by him in the third, all the while the Wings carried play. You win games against good goaltender by attrition. It was all Wings until the uber weak goal that was deemed dead. After they scored one that stuck, the Wings came back and scored. Then that awful 2nd goal, manageable. Then the 3rd goal made it insurmountable. If Howard had played even half as good as he is capable of, this game should have ended 1-0 or 2-1 in the Wing's favor.

Rinne stopped 40 of 41 shots. Howard stopped 14 of 17 (18) with a save percentage of .823 (.778). It was all Wings until the puck went in their net.

This approach is clearly not working, we've out shot them, out chanced them and out played them. We have been out goaltended but for people to be throwing Howard under the bus is a little much but I guess people are entitled to their opinion. The blind rage and turncoat fans around here are comical though.

I think its kind of funny how we are going to count the goal that didn't count against Howard, when we aren't willing to do that against Rinne who was scored on as time expired in Game 3. Those really are the breaks that you have to capitalize on. You can bet the Preds were counting their lucky stars that they didn't get scored on in Game 3, just as the Wings were happy about not being scored on in Game 4 with that puck that went in the net.

I really can't fault Jimmy on any of the goals scored last night. First one off of a deflection off our own player to a wide open guy? Thats just crap luck. Second one was blown coverage that resulted in a 2-0 chance where the goalie did what he needed to do which is take the shooter. As for the 3rd, why in the hell is Dan Cleary bringing the puck through the middle like that? If anything, I am not going to say that Jimmy was snoozing, he had the post and his stick down.

I think its kind of funny how we are going to count the goal that didn't count against Howard, when we aren't willing to do that against Rinne who was scored on as time expired in Game 3. Those really are the breaks that you have to capitalize on. You can bet the Preds were counting their lucky stars that they didn't get scored on in Game 3, just as the Wings were happy about not being scored on in Game 4 with that puck that went in the net.

I really can't fault Jimmy on any of the goals scored last night. First one off of a deflection off our own player to a wide open guy? Thats just crap luck. Second one was blown coverage that resulted in a 2-0 chance where the goalie did what he needed to do which is take the shooter. As for the 3rd, why in the hell is Dan Cleary bringing the puck through the middle like that? If anything, I am not going to say that Jimmy was snoozing, he had the post and his stick down.

Ill defend these guys to almost any extent but he overplayed that 2nd goal so bad he had no chance to make a save if something went wrong, the coverage was brutal but he has to read that alot better.

You DO NOT take a shooter that far off to the side. What could you possibly hope to accomplish doing that that you couldn't do by actually staying in the net. Sure the coverage was bad and we didn't need three guys over there, but why did Howard need to join them? That goal was on him.

This was a really tough loss. I thought the Wings played very well, there were a few moments in the 2nd and 3rd periods. Wings have got to start scoring on there chances, that is the difference in this series. Still don't know on the 2nd goal why there were 3 guys chasing 1 guy it's happening way too often. And how did the ref miss a clear penalty shot for us, he was looking right at it in the crease, there is no excuses on that play what so ever. I will never count the Wings out and will be a Wings fan till I die. GO WINGS :thumbup:

I'm still fuming that Weber didn't get suspended after similar incidents led to suspensions overnight from various games. Like the crosscheck to the head after the full time horn, and ashams dog like treatment of Schenn. They are all the same thing... exception being they are not star players.

True all that, but those F***ing chances we must burry....

Anyway hopes aren't up indeed, but we never know....

I do think Lidstrom is still playing injured... and we surely miss that Helm grit and energy....

Splitting hairs. Goal in Game 3 was after the clock had expired. It wasn't a goal and that was the RIGHT call. That was on a legitimate scoring chance, and yes, the result of 0.1 second of s*** luck. Howard fluffed on the post on a shot from behind his goal. That was a goal and the officials got it WRONG. They lucked out, but were noticeably rattled and let them score on the next shot (not really Howard's fault). The Wings finally score to tie it, before Howard let's in a complete stinker, leaving his goal along the goal line 5 feet to cut down the angle of the one over defended guy on the ice.

The disallowed goal was an example of Howard not playing up to snuff, and while many of the goals against are on him, he is expected to stop at least one legit scoring chance and hasn't. Goaltenders aren't paid to stop the logo hunters, their paid to stop the 50/50 or 60/40 plays.