• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Stinkyness

Hossa Smoked

Rate this topic

Bettman in the building, just like when Weber pulled his turnbuckle mover on Zetterberg. Look on his face says "99.9% of the time" to me. And shocker, non-traditional NHL puppet market gets the better of the call and win the game... hmmm...

Did you watch Hossa's playoffs here in 2009?

Do you happen to remember Datsyuk's first 3 or 4 years in the playoffs? Dreadful. Kinda turned out ok, don't you think?

You are really condemning Hossa for 1 year? Seemed to play pretty damn good when Chicago won.

Wasn't it Dats 1st playoffs in 2002?

Hossa had a bum shoulder while a Red Wing (not trying to make excuses for the guy)...I don't remember how Hossa did in the Finals in 2008?

Yes, Datsyuk's first playoff was 2002. As he recalled it (paraphrasing) "It was nice, sit on the bench and win cup". He wasn't really great in the playoffs until around 2008. He's gotten world's stronger from my vantage point, and 2007 being a murder's-row of goon teams (Calgary, SJ, Anaheim) probably provided some fortitude.

Back on topic: I was as disappointed in Hossa's no-show as anyone, but he had a pretty significant injury. Even after signing with Chicago, he sat out the first half of the season because of his shoulder surgery. The year before in Pittsburgh he was an absolute beast. Gave the Red Wings way more problems than either Crosby or Malkin. And his two-way play is marvelous to watch.

It was an incredible opportunity to sign someone of his caliber who was willing to forgo long-term, big money contracts to take a shot at the cup while waiting out the Wing's cap situation at the time. Unfortunately, the Wings didn't jump at the chance to lock up a proven elite when they had the chance; still riding the high of Franzen's 2008 playoff performance, with a shortened regular season due to injuries always leaving a portion of his "potential" in the dark. The assumption was always "if he can play a complete season, he'll be a 40-goal scorer", so why not sign him for less than Hossa for the same projected production? The term was there to knock down the cap-hit, but it is more of a noose than a pardon.

Its starting to be embarrasing to tell people in a hockey fan. first the busch league stuff in NYR/OTT series, then shaw elbowing smith, weber on zetterberg, and now this.

at least the guys in the PIT/Philly series seem to be just fighting and commiting only minor, questionable hits.

this other s*** is garbage.

he left his feet but it is extremely unclear if it was before or after contact, at any rate this was a lot cleaner than neal's hits that he got only 1 game for. But I suspect he will get a game for being a repeat offender.

ya i agree michael, i guess what i was just getting at was that with all the dirty play and injuries its just taking away from the integrity of the game.

it just sucks to see the best players being injured and not playing because of it. sedin, crosby, hossa, the list goes on. these are our stars and as much as i dislike some of them id like to see them playing.

its difficult to talk to a non-fan and talk about how you love the game when all this weak stuff is going on. players should police themselves. suspensions, and fines (holy s*** 2,500 max?!?!) are just a joke.

The main one being that they showcase the world's most boring sport <_<

HAHA :thumbup:

AMAZING PLAY! He dunked over a player that can't touch him within the bounds of the rules! 2 POINTS!... 106 more to go before the final 2 minutes takes 15 minutes because my team is down by a bucket and I need to foul them every time they inbound.

ESPN will show a dozen of the same dunks and jumpers, seemingly at random since one play is as mundane as the next. Then you get to an NHL playoff game and the guy talks over 2 of 7 goals, no saves or hits, with the monotone "boom goes the dynamite" voice for 15 seconds.

Dropping 40 goals in the regular season alone probably pushes the team to a top 2 seed. There's a reason we've been floating around 3rd and 5th since he left.

Hossa had 29 goals this season. 25 the year before (due to injuries which are common with the winger).

If you guys want to argue for Hossa, argue for his overall points. Not just his goals. He isn't guaranteed for 40 every season.

In the "old" League (last week), the team with the injured player would be contacted and asked if he is able to play in the next game. If the answer was "yes", a simple fine.

In the "new" League, television ratings are way up and it would affect Uncle Gary's team. That's quite a corner the League has painted themselves into.

In a related story, Kopecký...

"Who knows," Chicago captain Jonathan Toews said. "I don't know what to expect anymore. I don't think anyone does. So we'll see, it will probably be a surprise, I guess. We've got four [referees] out there. When there's a guy getting carried off on a stretcher, you think that there might be something wrong with what happened. Especially when they're huddling around their goalie in this last game, and he keeps playing, and our guy gets three games for it. So it's pretty frustrating when you see that."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story/_/id/7827211/2012-stanley-cup-playoffs-chicago-blackhawks-joel-quenneville-rips-officiating

Haha... Yep.

Damn, that's crazy. So did they just suspend him so he was forced to miss game 4 until they have a hearing? Or is he getting the book because Hossa was hurt?

It was scheduled for Wednesday but Torres and the NHLPA requested Friday. So he's suspended indefinitely until they determine how long after they've had the hearing.

I'm guessing it'll be a decent suspension considering the hit was late, he jumped up and hit Hossa's head, Torres has a history of these kind of hits, he's a repeat offender, and the playoffs have been nuts this year in terms of cheapshots.

It's still baffling that no penalty was given on the play considering the kinds of hits they've been tossing players for.

It was scheduled for Wednesday but Torres and the NHLPA requested Friday. So he's suspended indefinitely until they determine how long after they've had the hearing.

I'm guessing it'll be a decent suspension considering the hit was late, he jumped up and hit Hossa's head, Torres has a history of these kind of hits, he's a repeat offender, and the playoffs have been nuts this year in terms of cheapshots.

It's still baffling that no penalty was given on the play considering the kinds of hits they've been tossing players for.

And he has no star status. He'll be easy to make an example out of, until someone with star status does something cheap, a la Weber.