Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:30 AM

Posted Image

#22 Wingsequallife13

Wingsequallife13

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:38 AM

Yeah it was a charge because he left his feet. Forget history. It was not any worse than any other charge in other games. If you are calling for his head and forgetting what Kronwall has gotten away with on some hits then you are kidding yourself. Suspension? Yes. 5 games+? Step back and stop being so connected to the players and be objective.

#23 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

Apart from the puck not being there, leaving his feet, and shoulder to the head - clean hit!
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#24 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,298 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:44 AM

Keep your head up.

Good play. Maybe a hair late, but good play.

Scott Stevens lived off of this and so did Vladdy

Nope.

This is such a myth based on a handfull of youtube clips.

It's a disgrace to say Vladdy lived off this. He was a predatory hitter like Kronwall is and Stevens was, but Vladdy kept his skates on the ice. Stevens too. Of a career worth of hits, people base it on a few borderline hits from Steven's top ten most devastating on youtube and act like he did this all the time. You could make an argument for the Kariya hit, Lindros too. But over his career Stevens was a clean but devastating hitter. Elbows in, skates on the ice.

Torres time and time again shows up late and launches himself off his skates. He's a dirty player. That has nothing to do with what Stevens and Vladdy did.

#25 MibJab

MibJab

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:33 AM

Another great player taken out by a dirty headshot. Gary Bettman, Warden of the NHL. Maybe if the players started turning on the refs instead of each other they could play a game against each other and it could be like that convict football movie with Burt Reynolds... but in real life.

#26 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

Joel Quenneville: Have your chequebook ready.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#27 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

Bettman in the building, just like when Weber pulled his turnbuckle mover on Zetterberg. Look on his face says "99.9% of the time" to me. And shocker, non-traditional NHL puppet market gets the better of the call and win the game... hmmm...

#28 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

Why would Uncle Gary sign a "loose cannon" like Torres?

#29 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

To be honest it looked to me like he didn't leave his feet when he made the hit, but instead launched himself upwards, and into Hossa which IMHO is even worse...Can't wait to see what Shanny the league hands out in the form of punishment.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#30 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

Posted Image

Dance Shanny, dance.

#31 Valas19

Valas19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

Did you watch Hossa's playoffs here in 2009?

Do you happen to remember Datsyuk's first 3 or 4 years in the playoffs? Dreadful. Kinda turned out ok, don't you think?

You are really condemning Hossa for 1 year? Seemed to play pretty damn good when Chicago won.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

#32 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:21 AM

Do you happen to remember Datsyuk's first 3 or 4 years in the playoffs? Dreadful. Kinda turned out ok, don't you think?

You are really condemning Hossa for 1 year? Seemed to play pretty damn good when Chicago won.

Wasn't it Dats 1st playoffs in 2002?

Hossa had a bum shoulder while a Red Wing (not trying to make excuses for the guy)...I don't remember how Hossa did in the Finals in 2008?

#33 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

Wasn't it Dats 1st playoffs in 2002?

Hossa had a bum shoulder while a Red Wing (not trying to make excuses for the guy)...I don't remember how Hossa did in the Finals in 2008?

Yes, Datsyuk's first playoff was 2002. As he recalled it (paraphrasing) "It was nice, sit on the bench and win cup". He wasn't really great in the playoffs until around 2008. He's gotten world's stronger from my vantage point, and 2007 being a murder's-row of goon teams (Calgary, SJ, Anaheim) probably provided some fortitude.

Back on topic: I was as disappointed in Hossa's no-show as anyone, but he had a pretty significant injury. Even after signing with Chicago, he sat out the first half of the season because of his shoulder surgery. The year before in Pittsburgh he was an absolute beast. Gave the Red Wings way more problems than either Crosby or Malkin. And his two-way play is marvelous to watch.

#34 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

It was an incredible opportunity to sign someone of his caliber who was willing to forgo long-term, big money contracts to take a shot at the cup while waiting out the Wing's cap situation at the time. Unfortunately, the Wings didn't jump at the chance to lock up a proven elite when they had the chance; still riding the high of Franzen's 2008 playoff performance, with a shortened regular season due to injuries always leaving a portion of his "potential" in the dark. The assumption was always "if he can play a complete season, he'll be a 40-goal scorer", so why not sign him for less than Hossa for the same projected production? The term was there to knock down the cap-hit, but it is more of a noose than a pardon.

#35 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

Its starting to be embarrasing to tell people in a hockey fan. first the busch league stuff in NYR/OTT series, then shaw elbowing smith, weber on zetterberg, and now this.

at least the guys in the PIT/Philly series seem to be just fighting and commiting only minor, questionable hits.

this other s*** is garbage.
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#36 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

What's the excuse for the refs missing this call?? It's a dirty hit and of story. He better get suspended
IPB Image

#37 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

he left his feet but it is extremely unclear if it was before or after contact, at any rate this was a lot cleaner than neal's hits that he got only 1 game for. But I suspect he will get a game for being a repeat offender.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#38 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

Its starting to be embarrasing to tell people in a hockey fan. first the busch league stuff in NYR/OTT series, then shaw elbowing smith, weber on zetterberg, and now this.

at least the guys in the PIT/Philly series seem to be just fighting and commiting only minor, questionable hits.

this other s*** is garbage.

Not sure if I'm getting this right, but do you mean that you're embarassed to tell others that you're a hockey fan?

If that's the case - why on earth would you be embarassed?..Other than the Red Wings being on the verge of elimination - this playoffs has been pretty damn great!..The ratings are hitting all time highs.

So there's been some head hunting, and dirty play?..All the more to enjoy since it means new rivalries will be created with animosity extending beyond this season into the next (that is if there's a 2012/2013 season).

I'm no fan of seeing players getting injured, but unfortunately this is outta our hands as fans...The NHL created this problem themselves when they started to crack down on fighting, and initiated the instigator penalty in efforts to clean up the game, and bring in a larger American audience...Now we've been seeing what happens when the players don't police themselves, and the league tries - inconsistencies at their finest.

If anything - I'd be embarassed to say I was a fan of the NBA; so many things wrong with that league I don't know where to begin.

I'm damn proud to be a fan of hockey, and the NHL - by far the best game, and best league on the planet...If anyone says anything to me about it - I'll just pull their shirt over their head, and go to town on'em ;)

#39 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

If anything - I'd be embarassed to say I was a fan of the NBA; so many things wrong with that league I don't know where to begin.

The main one being that they showcase the world's most boring sport <_<

Edited by Wing Across The Pond, 18 April 2012 - 10:31 AM.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#40 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

ya i agree michael, i guess what i was just getting at was that with all the dirty play and injuries its just taking away from the integrity of the game.

it just sucks to see the best players being injured and not playing because of it. sedin, crosby, hossa, the list goes on. these are our stars and as much as i dislike some of them id like to see them playing.

its difficult to talk to a non-fan and talk about how you love the game when all this weak stuff is going on. players should police themselves. suspensions, and fines (holy s*** 2,500 max?!?!) are just a joke.
Crosby is a crybaby *****