#41 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

The main one being that they showcase the world's most boring sport <_<

HAHA :thumbup:

AMAZING PLAY! He dunked over a player that can't touch him within the bounds of the rules! 2 POINTS!... 106 more to go before the final 2 minutes takes 15 minutes because my team is down by a bucket and I need to foul them every time they inbound.

ESPN will show a dozen of the same dunks and jumpers, seemingly at random since one play is as mundane as the next. Then you get to an NHL playoff game and the guy talks over 2 of 7 goals, no saves or hits, with the monotone "boom goes the dynamite" voice for 15 seconds.

#42 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,587 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

ya i agree michael, i guess what i was just getting at was that with all the dirty play and injuries its just taking away from the integrity of the game.

it just sucks to see the best players being injured and not playing because of it. sedin, crosby, hossa, the list goes on. these are our stars and as much as i dislike some of them id like to see them playing.

its difficult to talk to a non-fan and talk about how you love the game when all this weak stuff is going on. players should police themselves. suspensions, and fines (holy s*** 2,500 max?!?!) are just a joke.

I hear ya...One of my best friends is a life-long Hawks fan; yesterday afternoon while talking on the phone he went on a 5 min rant of how he cannot stand the insanity of the NHL, and how it handles fines/suspensions (he's also a fan of the Rangers)......Needless to say that same rant went on this morning - although it lasted 10 min :lol:

IMHO the NHL really screwed the pooch when it went on it's "cleaning up the league" phase, and trying to lure in the so called "casual" fan...Big mistake...First off most fans enjoy the intensity of a heated game, and if a few fights break out - even better if it's among willing combatants (now I don't want to see nothing but fights, and fights alone - that must be said, nor do I wish to see fighters taking on non-fighters - the "code" hopefully would stay intact).

Second - what we see today with cheap shots, and inconsistent rulings is once again a result of the league trying to clean up it's image; it's why a fair number of former players/coaches/gms want to see the elimination of the instigator penalty (oddly enough my Blackhawk buddy was all for the instigator years ago - now that he's "seen the light" - he too agrees that it should be removed).

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#43 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Dropping 40 goals in the regular season alone probably pushes the team to a top 2 seed. There's a reason we've been floating around 3rd and 5th since he left.

Hossa had 29 goals this season. 25 the year before (due to injuries which are common with the winger).

If you guys want to argue for Hossa, argue for his overall points. Not just his goals. He isn't guaranteed for 40 every season.

Posted Image

#44 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

$2,500 fine. And if Torres does anything of that nature again, the NHL will STRONGLY CONSIDER adding another $1,000 to that fine.

#ShanahanDiscipline
-15-
Posted Image
"I don't like to be the pony. I like to be on top." -Pavel Datsyuk

#45 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,587 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

HAHA :thumbup:

AMAZING PLAY! He dunked over a player that can't touch him within the bounds of the rules! 2 POINTS!... 106 more to go before the final 2 minutes takes 15 minutes because my team is down by a bucket and I need to foul them every time they inbound.

ESPN will show a dozen of the same dunks and jumpers, seemingly at random since one play is as mundane as the next. Then you get to an NHL playoff game and the guy talks over 2 of 7 goals, no saves or hits, with the monotone "boom goes the dynamite" voice for 15 seconds.

They actually spend 15 seconds of air time covering the NHL over at ESPN :blink:

Wow - since when did they get so generous?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#46 Frank the Tank

Frank the Tank

Prospect

• 48 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

Torres has been suspended indefinitely, hearing on Friday.

#47 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

Torres has been suspended indefinitely, hearing on Friday.

Here's a link.

http://espn.go.com/c...ks-marian-hossa

#48 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

In the "old" League (last week), the team with the injured player would be contacted and asked if he is able to play in the next game. If the answer was "yes", a simple fine.
In the "new" League, television ratings are way up and it would affect Uncle Gary's team. That's quite a corner the League has painted themselves into.
In a related story, Kopecký...

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#49 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

"Who knows," Chicago captain Jonathan Toews said. "I don't know what to expect anymore. I don't think anyone does. So we'll see, it will probably be a surprise, I guess. We've got four [referees] out there. When there's a guy getting carried off on a stretcher, you think that there might be something wrong with what happened. Especially when they're huddling around their goalie in this last game, and he keeps playing, and our guy gets three games for it. So it's pretty frustrating when you see that."

http://espn.go.com/c...ips-officiating

Haha... Yep.

#50 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

I hope Toews remembers this when negotiations begin for the new Collective Bargaining Agreement begin. The Players need to hold the League to a new level of accountability for what is allowed to happen on the ice.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#51 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

Say what you will about Toews I like and would give a lot having him on the Wings. His interview is so true who knows with these clowns?

Torres will be looking at a earthshattering 2.500 $ fine just like Weber.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#52 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Damn, that's crazy. So did they just suspend him so he was forced to miss game 4 until they have a hearing? Or is he getting the book because Hossa was hurt?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#53 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

The main one being that they showcase the world's most boring sport Posted Image

I'm not a basketball fan, but no way is basketball more boring than baseball. I would rather watch golf than baseball, lol.
  • Nev likes this

#54 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

Damn, that's crazy. So did they just suspend him so he was forced to miss game 4 until they have a hearing? Or is he getting the book because Hossa was hurt?

It was scheduled for Wednesday but Torres and the NHLPA requested Friday. So he's suspended indefinitely until they determine how long after they've had the hearing.

I'm guessing it'll be a decent suspension considering the hit was late, he jumped up and hit Hossa's head, Torres has a history of these kind of hits, he's a repeat offender, and the playoffs have been nuts this year in terms of cheapshots.

It's still baffling that no penalty was given on the play considering the kinds of hits they've been tossing players for.

#55 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

It was scheduled for Wednesday but Torres and the NHLPA requested Friday. So he's suspended indefinitely until they determine how long after they've had the hearing.

I'm guessing it'll be a decent suspension considering the hit was late, he jumped up and hit Hossa's head, Torres has a history of these kind of hits, he's a repeat offender, and the playoffs have been nuts this year in terms of cheapshots.

It's still baffling that no penalty was given on the play considering the kinds of hits they've been tossing players for.

And he has no star status. He'll be easy to make an example out of, until someone with star status does something cheap, a la Weber.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#56 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

And that there are four guys on the ice supposedly watching this happen in the vicinity of the puck. Unbelievable.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#57 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

I'm not a basketball fan, but no way is basketball more boring than baseball. I would rather watch golf than baseball, lol.

I'm ok if Verlander is pitching. Dude's a beast

Not to mention a face-to-face meeting usually suggest 5 or more games. Otherwise they do it over the phone like they did with Quincey.

Really glad Toews came out and said what he did because a lot of other captains wouldn't have. And it's a shame Quenville will probably be fined for comments that were entirely of a valid (and distinctly truer) opinion.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#58 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

Tippett tried to compare Torres hit to Kronwall's hits at his press conference. Except I don't recall Kronwall leaving his skates to get upward momentum/angle into guys heads. He just finishes his checks right through the guy laterally.

#59 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

I hope Toews remembers this when negotiations begin for the new Collective Bargaining Agreement begin. The Players need to hold the League to a new level of accountability for what is allowed to happen on the ice.

We just need a consistent disciplinarian who has a zero tolerance for cheap crap. Shanny started off that way, then relapsed into his predecessor.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#60 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

We just need a consistent disciplinarian who has a zero tolerance for cheap crap. Shanny started off that way, then relapsed into his predecessor.

Maybe it's me just not wanting to be so disappointed with Shanny, but I have to wonder if the GMs were in his ear all season long and that was a factor in where he ended up versus where he started.