• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Cali-Wing-Nut

Time to start looking for a new coaching staff

Rate this topic

I dont think bigger gets you urgency. We have played like slugs compared to other teams in other series.

Maybe your right the Mike is pissed and hasnt put his heart into the way he would with a team he wants.

So where is the answer? We get a new GM and a new D. Does Franzen and Z wake up and start producing again?

We are back to the same common denominator and that is Babs.

The thing that sticks out to me is that Babcock seemed pissed about Holland's moves, or lack thereof, last summer. I have a hard time faulting him when Holland seems content to take no chances to patch obvious holes. He's afraid to move anyone. Maybe if guys were a little more afraid about getting traded or not getting re-signed, they'd put a little more effort into their game and play smarter. Just an idea. I'll give Babcock a pass for another year or two to see if Holland actually shows up and does his job to give Babcock the best team possible.

Babcock isn't the problem and Holland isn't the problem. The problem is that Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren't the players they used to be and Franzen is a no show. Hudler isn't sucking but he certainly isn't playing great (though props for his goal tonight). Filppula is playing solid but can't carry the team. The simple fact is that our team has little offensive strength anymore.

One more thing. I don't like Babcock's style of offense at all. It seems like all we do is triangle offense or cycle to some guy open in the corner to shoot while no one is in front of the net.

I'm a huge fan of the crash the net offense. Burst into the zone with speed. maybe a pass or two. Throw it on the net and have the three forwards charging there looking for rebounds. The point is that we will make our own breaks and create scoring chances. They might not always be top quality, but at least they will be scoring chances instead of mindless cycling.

One more thing. I don't like Babcock's style of offense at all. It seems like all we do is triangle offense or cycle to some guy open in the corner to shoot while no one is in front of the net.

I'm a huge fan of the crash the net offense. Burst into the zone with speed. maybe a pass or two. Throw it on the net and have the three forwards charging there looking for rebounds. The point is that we will make our own breaks and create scoring chances. They might not always be top quality, but at least they will be scoring chances instead of mindless cycling.

+1 for you. That sums it up perfectly.

Babcock isn't the problem and Holland isn't the problem. The problem is that Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren't the players they used to be and Franzen is a no show. Hudler isn't sucking but he certainly isn't playing great (though props for his goal tonight). Filppula is playing solid but can't carry the team. The simple fact is that our team has little offensive strength anymore.

Wrong and wrong. The problem is not Datsyuk and Zetterberg. While you can make an argument that datsyuk is more predictable than he was previously, you cannot say that he declined his skill. He had a great injury and quite frankly noone knows that he has recovered fully from that incident. Same as to zetterberg, I think overall the Wings have just become too predicable and it hurts us in the long run. Look at our powerplay, otherwise. Babcock went out to find new coaches for a new style because things weren't working, well quite frankly... we probably won't see their potential until a year or two in the NHL.

Not the coaches' fault, look what they have to work with. In all honesty our top line has an old, worn down Bertuzzi and a shell of what used to be Franzen. To make matters even worse, Zetterberg has to lift Hudler and Flip on his bad back. Our 3rd and 4th lines are HORRIBLE, some of that due to injuries but also some of that due to not making a trade at the deadline and not signing any free agents. Our defense is an old Lidstrom who isn't playing like Lidstrom (he looks VERY slow out there with his bad ankle and all) and a career journeyman Ian White. Kronwall and Stuart are playing good hockey but Stuart's foot is out the door, and Ericsson-Quincey I thought have been pretty good but I'm probably in the minority there. Our goalie has been below average since his finger injury and there's no backup to throw in to change things up.

I hate to sound so pessimistic, but Holland needs to make some SERIOUS changes this off season. Sadly, his post-lockout track record doesn't make me feel like that will happen.

Look at our powerplay, otherwise. Babcock went out to find new coaches for a new style because things weren't working, well quite frankly... we probably won't see their potential until a year or two in the NHL.

Quite the optimist?

Our special teams are the laughing stock of the whole NHL. If we give them a chance to see their "potential" Im gonna look for a new sport to watch in the winter, snow shoeing is pretty exciting compared to our power play..

Quite the optimist?

Our special teams are the laughing stock of the whole NHL. If we give them a chance to see their "potential" Im gonna look for a new sport to watch in the winter, snow shoeing is pretty exciting compared to our power play..

N'ville is probably GLAD when we go on the power play. "OH thank god, two minutes where we don't have to worry about them scoring".

If they just keep the two point men open then all we'll do is pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass mishandle out of the zone the whole time.

Edited by CrimsonFlame

Wrong and wrong. The problem is not Datsyuk and Zetterberg. While you can make an argument that datsyuk is more predictable than he was previously, you cannot say that he declined his skill. He had a great injury and quite frankly noone knows that he has recovered fully from that incident. Same as to zetterberg, I think overall the Wings have just become too predicable and it hurts us in the long run. Look at our powerplay, otherwise. Babcock went out to find new coaches for a new style because things weren't working, well quite frankly... we probably won't see their potential until a year or two in the NHL.

I'm not saying the problem is Datsyuk and Zetterberg, I'm just saying there is no denying that they're not the beasts of 07, 08 and 09. Look at how many shots Datsyuk misses. He's still a great player, I'm jsut saying our offense is not nearly as good as it used to be.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Babs line earlier in the year about wanting to be the toughest team, but not being built that way and the way he applauded Bertuzzi for fighting Weber make me believe he'd be a hell of a coach if he had more compete and more physical presence. Babs isn't the problem, but Holland and Nill might be. This off-season will be the biggest since 06-07, Holland delivered that year by getting Rafalski and Drake. Lets see what he does this time around.

I agree. We need to trim the fat and get some new hungry faces that play with grit. And can our fourth line actually be an energy line, please?

For reference, my memory of the summer of '07 through '08:

• Lost: Lang, Calder, Bertuzzi, Schneider, Markov, Williams
  • Added: Rafalski, Drake, McCarty (mid-season), Stuart (deadline)

The difference is, I think our players were younger and hungrier than as well--they hadn't won a Cup, after all. So it's going to be tough to inject some new blood.

Holland I could believe, though I'd still be surprised he'd admit it. But Nill? Are you sure?

Nill is the one I actually saw say it on tv. I wanted to smack him through the screen. Holland proves it year after year by bringing in nothing but small euro puck ticklers.

esteef

Nill is the one I actually saw say it on tv. I wanted to smack him through the screen. Holland proves it year after year by bringing in nothing but small euro puck ticklers.

esteef

Fighters are losing their role in the game across the league, it's not just Detroit. Hard to justify a roster spot for a guy who doesn't bring much of anything else to the table especially when the other teams aren't carrying pure fighters either. They just need some guys that are hungry. I'd settle for a hint of chippiness at this point. I really don't give a s*** about fighting one way or the other, I just want guys who are willing to do whatever it takes to win so much so that they sometimes do something stupid.

I'd ******* kill to have Shea Weber on our side smashing some other team's star's head into the glass at the end of a game that's clearly over in your favor. I want a team that gets fined because they want it so bad that they make some stupid mistakes like that. Where's the tenacity on this team? It's absolutely non-existent.

Guest Crymson

What's hilarious about the thinking (or, more accurately, the lack thereof) behind the OP's post is his assumption that replacing the coaching staff will certainly lead to improvement.

Seriously people,what did Babs suppose to do,score more then once on 40 freaking shots?

Besides,he won it with Loungo,so I trust him :ph34r:

laugh.gif

Half the posters on this board could have 'coached' that team and come away with the gold medal. biggrin.gif

What's hilarious about the thinking (or, more accurately, the lack thereof) behind the OP's post is his assumption that replacing the coaching staff will certainly lead to improvement.

This.

There's no guarantee that the replacement won't be worse than Babcock, and I honestly think the odds of that being the case are pretty significant.

Give him a bit more time. He just needs a better team and maybe a better support staff. If he fails with that, then you can fire him.

The facts speak for themselves...

Aged Coaches dont win cups, unless your name is the holy trinity I mean Scotty Bowman.

Everyone talks about the unmotivated players on the team and how they have to go and gloss over the reasons they arent crushing skulls and scoring goals..

I was one of those people that wasnt living up to "their potential" and it had more to do with s*** coaches or teachers than my will to succeed.

How many of you have had s*** managers and you still came in fired up to do a good job? No you ALL did your 9-5 and left. As long as you showed up and went through the motions until Friday to get your paycheck, you did it. A lot of you are doing it right now.

I know the team isnt stupid, they may be a bit unmotivated by the game plan. I wonder if any of them are questioning the plays and making it known they are ineffective by pointing out the flaws first hand.

Perfect example is the PP. I can only imagine the disbelief and utter regret when they were told about the NEW PP strategy. Id phone it in too if I was told I had to follow such a retarded game plan.

Ive thought this through long enough and have come to the conclusion that the team is built on a few too many players and that leadership is lacking and affecting the ranks.

Please dont question my cognitive abilities though, its incendiary and adds nothing other that useless fodder for arguments that have nothing to do with my original post.

This.

There's no guarantee that the replacement won't be worse than Babcock, and I honestly think the odds of that being the case are pretty significant.

Give him a bit more time. He just needs a better team and maybe a better support staff. If he fails with that, then you can fire him.

and may I ask how much more time he needs? We havent gone three rounds in 3 years and have gotten worse each year since.

No there is no guarantee just like everything else in life, but that doesnt mean it shouldntbe done.

By your thinking there no reason to trade or draft anyone either because there isnt a guarantee that those people will perform any better than who they replaced.

Thats a lose philosophy that I will never get on board with.

Accepting the status quo is the road to defeat in life and Ill bet MY life on it. Doesnt just include hockey, thats life in general. Losers just go along with whatever is happening and randomly complain while acheivers find a way to always succeed, regardless of the risks.

I hope you arent anywhere near the decision making of ANYTHING cause its bound to fail by your ethos alone.