• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

Babs line earlier in the year about wanting to be the toughest team, but not being built that way and the way he applauded Bertuzzi for fighting Weber make me believe he'd be a hell of a coach if he had more compete and more physical presence. Babs isn't the problem, but Holland and Nill might be. This off-season will be the biggest since 06-07, Holland delivered that year by getting Rafalski and Drake. Lets see what he does this time around.

I agree. We need to trim the fat and get some new hungry faces that play with grit. And can our fourth line actually be an energy line, please?

For reference, my memory of the summer of '07 through '08:
  • Lost: Lang, Calder, Bertuzzi, Schneider, Markov, Williams
  • Added: Rafalski, Drake, McCarty (mid-season), Stuart (deadline)
The difference is, I think our players were younger and hungrier than as well--they hadn't won a Cup, after all. So it's going to be tough to inject some new blood.
  • Nev likes this

#42 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

Holland I could believe, though I'd still be surprised he'd admit it. But Nill? Are you sure?

Nill is the one I actually saw say it on tv. I wanted to smack him through the screen. Holland proves it year after year by bringing in nothing but small euro puck ticklers.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#43 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:48 PM

Nill is the one I actually saw say it on tv. I wanted to smack him through the screen. Holland proves it year after year by bringing in nothing but small euro puck ticklers.

esteef

Fighters are losing their role in the game across the league, it's not just Detroit. Hard to justify a roster spot for a guy who doesn't bring much of anything else to the table especially when the other teams aren't carrying pure fighters either. They just need some guys that are hungry. I'd settle for a hint of chippiness at this point. I really don't give a s*** about fighting one way or the other, I just want guys who are willing to do whatever it takes to win so much so that they sometimes do something stupid.

I'df****** kill to have Shea Weber on our side smashing some other team's star's head into the glass at the end of a game that's clearly over in your favor. I want a team that gets fined because they want it so bad that they make some stupid mistakes like that. Where's the tenacity on this team? It's absolutely non-existent.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#44 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

Seriously people,what did Babs suppose to do,score more then once on 40 freaking shots?

Besides,he won it with Loungo,so I trust him :ph34r:

#45 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:08 AM

What's hilarious about the thinking (or, more accurately, the lack thereof) behind the OP's post is his assumption that replacing the coaching staff will certainly lead to improvement.

#46 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:22 AM

Seriously people,what did Babs suppose to do,score more then once on 40 freaking shots?

Besides,he won it with Loungo,so I trust him :ph34r:

Posted Image

Half the posters on this board could have 'coached' that team and come away with the gold medal. Posted Image

#47 Kass

Kass

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:23 AM

What's hilarious about the thinking (or, more accurately, the lack thereof) behind the OP's post is his assumption that replacing the coaching staff will certainly lead to improvement.

This.

There's no guarantee that the replacement won't be worse than Babcock, and I honestly think the odds of that being the case are pretty significant.

Give him a bit more time. He just needs a better team and maybe a better support staff. If he fails with that, then you can fire him.

#48 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:33 AM

Lidstrom is going to retire. Go ahead and neg me...I'm calling it right now.

Posted Image

#49 Cali-Wing-Nut

Cali-Wing-Nut

Guppie Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:38 AM

The facts speak for themselves...

Aged Coaches dont win cups, unless your name is the holy trinity I mean Scotty Bowman.

Everyone talks about the unmotivated players on the team and how they have to go and gloss over the reasons they arent crushing skulls and scoring goals..

I was one of those people that wasnt living up to "their potential" and it had more to do with s*** coaches or teachers than my will to succeed.

How many of you have had s*** managers and you still came in fired up to do a good job? No you ALL did your 9-5 and left. As long as you showed up and went through the motions until Friday to get your paycheck, you did it. A lot of you are doing it right now.

I know the team isnt stupid, they may be a bit unmotivated by the game plan. I wonder if any of them are questioning the plays and making it known they are ineffective by pointing out the flaws first hand.

Perfect example is the PP. I can only imagine the disbelief and utter regret when they were told about the NEW PP strategy. Id phone it in too if I was told I had to follow such a retarded game plan.

Ive thought this through long enough and have come to the conclusion that the team is built on a few too many players and that leadership is lacking and affecting the ranks.

Please dont question my cognitive abilities though, its incendiary and adds nothing other that useless fodder for arguments that have nothing to do with my original post.
I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!

#50 Cali-Wing-Nut

Cali-Wing-Nut

Guppie Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:56 AM

This.

There's no guarantee that the replacement won't be worse than Babcock, and I honestly think the odds of that being the case are pretty significant.

Give him a bit more time. He just needs a better team and maybe a better support staff. If he fails with that, then you can fire him.

and may I ask how much more time he needs? We havent gone three rounds in 3 years and have gotten worse each year since.

No there is no guarantee just like everything else in life, but that doesnt mean it shouldntbe done.

By your thinking there no reason to trade or draft anyone either because there isnt a guarantee that those people will perform any better than who they replaced.

Thats a lose philosophy that I will never get on board with.

Accepting the status quo is the road to defeat in life and Ill bet MY life on it. Doesnt just include hockey, thats life in general. Losers just go along with whatever is happening and randomly complain while acheivers find a way to always succeed, regardless of the risks.

I hope you arent anywhere near the decision making of ANYTHING cause its bound to fail by your ethos alone.
I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!

#51 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:20 AM

and may I ask how much more time he needs? We havent gone three rounds in 3 years and have gotten worse each year since.

You're discounting this season already, which is a shame. Let's reduce it to the last two seasons How many teams have gone three rounds in the last two seasons? Answer: seven. And the only team to make it both years got crushed both times.

It's a shame that you consider continually being a contender to be completely unacceptable, but I suppose that's the spoilage that occurs when a team is very successful.

No there is no guarantee just like everything else in life, but that doesnt mean it shouldntbe done.

Of course there are reason why it shouldn't be done. The team attains a fair measure of success right now, and neither the players nor the management nor the owners would like to fire a successful coach and hire a new one who may dump it all down the drain. That you're advocating this risk because the team is not reaching the conference finals and beyond is another sign of spoilage. That you say there's no reason why the risk shouldn't be taken is really an ultimate sign.

By your thinking there no reason to trade or draft anyone either because there isnt a guarantee that those people will perform any better than who they replaced.

Drafting is zero-risk, so that makes sense. As for trades, the only moves that should be made--indeed, the only moves that ARE made--are those that have a good chance of success. It is, of course, a calculated risk. It is, too, a far lesser risk than firing a successful coach.

Thats a lose philosophy that I will never get on board with.

"You don't advocate taking this risk because of the possibility that it'll make things worse, so obviously you don't advocate taking any risks at all!" Typical accusations of absolutism. Very typical, trite and worn-out strawman argument.

Accepting the status quo is the road to defeat in life and Ill bet MY life on it. Doesnt just include hockey, thats life in general. Losers just go along with whatever is happening and randomly complain while acheivers find a way to always succeed, regardless of the risks.

Blah blah blah.

I hope you arent anywhere near the decision making of ANYTHING cause its bound to fail by your ethos alone.

Cool down, buster.

#52 MibJab

MibJab

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:27 AM

Our hockey team best represents our city... Our team has heart. Our city has heart. We're both just a little slow, beaten up and, outdated. That's all.

Zetterberg should take Weber on that MTV show "Bully Beat down."

The NHL is trying to take all the skilled, European players out of the game with North American goons and headshots. Alfreddson, Zetterberg, Sedin's, Hossa.. what is the North American youth heading towards?

Should being able to play NHL hockey be on every UFC fighters resume?

Bary Gettman? Vince McMahon?

#53 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

Fighters are losing their role in the game across the league, it's not just Detroit. Hard to justify a roster spot for a guy who doesn't bring much of anything else to the table especially when the other teams aren't carrying pure fighters either. They just need some guys that are hungry. I'd settle for a hint of chippiness at this point. I really don't give a s*** about fighting one way or the other, I just want guys who are willing to do whatever it takes to win so much so that they sometimes do something stupid.

I'df****** kill to have Shea Weber on our side smashing some other team's star's head into the glass at the end of a game that's clearly over in your favor. I want a team that gets fined because they want it so bad that they make some stupid mistakes like that. Where's the tenacity on this team? It's absolutely non-existent.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#54 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

Also, the thing about Holland that scares me is that if the league decided to remove the cap for one reason or another, and the Wings had the chance to actually use the money they have, I still don't see Holland moving most of these players. He's 'comfortable'.

However, following on from the Downey picture above, I remember reading an article that said Iginla was pretty much done in Calgary. I would move for him... SO bad. Give him a chance at even getting into the playoffs again, and tell him he can roll on the second line, maybe even with some of the kids as he's a guy to learn from.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#55 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:36 AM

I hate to say this but it has become apparent that Mr Babcock has probably just worn out his welcome.

The stats say that other than a select few head coaches, such as Scotty, coaches tenured longer than 4 years dont win cups. Looks as though that may be true with Babs as well.

Came to mind talking with Crimson about the team and became very apparent that our guys just dont hear him the same way anymore. The players have a personal relationship with Babs the same way teenagers have with their parents. Both know that even if they get yelled at they know that the consequences are pretty hollow. The rest of the time they just dont care.

We all know that some organizations tend to replace coaches on a daily basis, we arent the Canadians or the Leafs, but look how effective it was with STL. Hitch came in and it was night and day from word go.

I seriously think that we need leadership more than we need a new team. The talent is there, the coaches are there to coax it from them and Babs & Co. just dont seem to be able to do that.

Right, let's get rid of the best coach in the league because the players on the ice have no heart, don't play full games, take stupid penalties and can't score for stretches (especially on the power play). He needs some fresh players on his bench that WILL hear him. Babs is a proven winner, tweak the roster leave Babs alone. Maybe ***** slap which ever coach is responsible for the power play and threaten his job!

#56 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

The NHL is trying to take all the skilled, European players out of the game with North American goons and headshots. Alfreddson, Zetterberg, Sedin's, Hossa.. what is the North American youth heading towards?

Should being able to play NHL hockey be on every UFC fighters resume?

Bary Gettman? Vince McMahon?

What crap are you talking here? Are you inventing a conspiracy for Bettman that has him having NA player target skilled european players and taking them out of the game with headshots? Give me a break.

North American play off hockey is a rough tough sport.... if a player can't handle the heat, be he Euro, Chinese or whatever, then he should go play ringette or patty-a-cake or something!

The dirty s*** needs to be penalized, and Shanny is doing just that, but it will never be completely removed because of the speed, intensity and emotion in the game.

#57 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:47 AM

I'd rather get rid of Holland than Babcock.

esteef

Agreed.

Babcock is stuck with what Holland gives him...I may be wrong here, but there are times in which Babs keeps his mouth shut as to what he thinks/wants.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#58 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

esteef

I agree with you man. Holland is a master but he's also made some really crappy choices imo. Trading down in the draft to get Landon Feraro and lose a big tough kid in Carter Ashton pissed me right off. Trading a 1st round pick that could have gotten us Downie but instead brought back Quincey? Why? We need to toughen this roster up with good North American boys.

#59 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

What crap are you talking here? Are you inventing a conspiracy for Bettman that has him having NA player target skilled european players and taking them out of the game with headshots? Give me a break.

North American play off hockey is a rough tough sport.... if a player can't handle the heat, be he Euro, Chinese or whatever, then he should go play ringette or patty-a-cake or something!

The dirty s*** needs to be penalized, and Shanny is doing just that, but it will never be completely removed because of the speed, intensity and emotion in the game.

...and lets be brutally honest...Some of the cheap shots/rough play creates a new level of hatred that carriers over for years to come, and IMHO it's some of the most intense/exciting hockey ever...The current Flyers/Pens series, and Red Wings/Avalanche of yesteryear is some of the best stuff we'll ever see.

I want guys who can play the game, AND fight when it's needed...There's been quite a few guys via the draft, and free agency that Holland/Nill pass by.

#60 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:02 AM

Posted Image

Oh God no!..Keep that moron away from the Wings!
  • Nev likes this