• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 Tr!PoD#19

Tr!PoD#19

Troll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

I think they can, and will continue to hope that they do. I do think they need a few changes this offseason, though. It'll be tought to do though, as they have Rinne, and not Niemi in net.

#42 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

No, I don't think we will. I didn't think we would at the beginning, and I continue not to think we will. Nashville has the better team, they're outplaying us, and they look more like they want to win.

It's time to quit coasting on the late 90s/early 00s. That's a decade and a half gone by now. Time to move on.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#43 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Their focus in this series (probably because they are respecting rinne too much) has been to pass up on shots on the rush and instead set it up in the O zone. They have dominated the series by doing this, but they need to start ripping shots on the rush.

Get rinne down and pick those corners!

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#44 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

I actually forget which Cup it was (nice problem to have), I think it was 2002 when the crowd at the Joe kept chanting LOUDLY "SHOOT THE PUCK" and they actually did,. maybe, I don't know, a little pressure from the home crowd if they can win this next one

#45 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

The crowd looks/sounds as narcoleptic as the team on the ice. I'd love for the fans to get into the game, maybe light a fire under their asses, but the fans would have to attend the game, and then stay the whole game in order for that effect to take place.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#46 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

Tell me how you call yourself a fan. Do you have any optimism at the beginning of the season? Are you only happy if your team is loaded with superstars?

You called this team a failure when they lost in Game 7 in 2009 because that was the one time you got to see them live. Well boo hoo how about all the real fans that would love to take a trip to the Joe to see their team? You say you won't go to the Joe unless they have a legit chance at winning the Cup. I live in St Louis and I would pay a lot of money to just go see a regular season game in Detroit. You aren't a fan, you just want to be associated with a winner so you get upset when the team doesn't go 82-0 and sweep the playoffs

+1'd your ass, because this is exactly how I feel. Poor you Lenny for getting to go to Game 7 of a Stanley Cup Final at the Joe. Going to the Joe for me, would cost upwards of about $1000, you know, considering a plane ticket across the Atlantic, hotel costs, then not to mention a game ticket?! I mean you go and actually watch the team so you must like or support them in some way? Why not show it? Have some faith for goodness sake that they can at least take the next game, and then really it's who can keep their head. It's 3 seperate 1-game series for Detroit. I'm not saying that they can continue coasting and not hustling as they have been at times because they really need to start shooting from good areas, main thing. All I'm getting at is that for us, it's do or die, and I'll ALWAYS pick them to do. Otherwise what's the point in caring?

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#47 Miss Wing Queen

Miss Wing Queen

Hockeytown's Helmetless Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

I actually forget which Cup it was (nice problem to have), I think it was 2002 when the crowd at the Joe kept chanting LOUDLY "SHOOT THE PUCK" and they actually did,. maybe, I don't know, a little pressure from the home crowd if they can win this next one

I was at the game last night and on several occasions, I heard various parts of the crowd yelling "Shoot! Shoot it!" myself included. They eventually would but always too late.

The crowd looks/sounds as narcoleptic as the team on the ice. I'd love for the fans to get into the game, maybe light a fire under their asses, but the fans would have to attend the game, and then stay the whole game in order for that effect to take place.

Last night there were quite a few times, especially in the third where the fans were booing (and not just for Weber). Every time another PP failed, and especially at the end of the game. The team has stated that they did not like being booed off the ice at the end of last season, and that was part of the reason they wanted to up their game at home this year. After the streak, that seemed to go out the window. You would think that hearing it during the last regular season games and during the playoffs would be enough of a trigger to get them going. And not many people left until about the last minute and especially after the third goal last night. In fact, from about 2:47 on in the third, EVERYONE was on their feet for the remaining minutes. That was when they had showed the video montage they always do at the end to "make noise" with clips from different movies.

If Detroit can pull out of this, they need to remember that "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Rinne is good but not infallible. If all the shots you are putting on this goalie are from the right and left point, he is going to see it and stop it. In games 1-3, they had some really good chances when all three forwards came in hot and heavy, but stupid things like Hudler never being able to catch a pass on his stick and one time it, prevented that from going any further. That and this damn hold onto the puck and skate the whole perimeter of the offensive zone s*** has to stop. Get traffic in front of Rinne, storm the crease, be there for the rebounds when they come. Their star players need to start pulling their weight and showing why they have these hefty contracts (Franzen, Datsyuk, Filppula). And for God's sake, hustle! Don't stare at the puck when it's two feet in front of you and wait for the Pred player to get and come to you. Get some jump in your step and show that you actually want to be a playoff contender instead of just coasting into the playoffs to add another tick to the tally of consecutive years in the playoffs and then not caring what happens after that. /rant.

#48 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

I was at the game last night and on several occasions, I heard various parts of the crowd yelling "Shoot! Shoot it!" myself included. They eventually would but always too late.

Last night there were quite a few times, especially in the third where the fans were booing (and not just for Weber). Every time another PP failed, and especially at the end of the game. The team has stated that they did not like being booed off the ice at the end of last season, and that was part of the reason they wanted to up their game at home this year. After the streak, that seemed to go out the window. You would think that hearing it during the last regular season games and during the playoffs would be enough of a trigger to get them going. And not many people left until about the last minute and especially after the third goal last night. In fact, from about 2:47 on in the third, EVERYONE was on their feet for the remaining minutes. That was when they had showed the video montage they always do at the end to "make noise" with clips from different movies.

If Detroit can pull out of this, they need to remember that "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Rinne is good but not infallible. If all the shots you are putting on this goalie are from the right and left point, he is going to see it and stop it. In games 1-3, they had some really good chances when all three forwards came in hot and heavy, but stupid things like Hudler never being able to catch a pass on his stick and one time it, prevented that from going any further. That and this damn hold onto the puck and skate the whole perimeter of the offensive zone s*** has to stop. Get traffic in front of Rinne, storm the crease, be there for the rebounds when they come. Their star players need to start pulling their weight and showing why they have these hefty contracts (Franzen, Datsyuk, Filppula). And for God's sake, hustle! Don't stare at the puck when it's two feet in front of you and wait for the Pred player to get and come to you. Get some jump in your step and show that you actually want to be a playoff contender instead of just coasting into the playoffs to add another tick to the tally of consecutive years in the playoffs and then not caring what happens after that. /rant.

Wow,Love this!!
Would you be interested in becoming Mrs. Wing Queen?:)

#49 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,409 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

I'm with ya on the outcome of the series, but I disagree with the crowd part. It was electric on Sunday and the fans were behind the Red Wings even when Nashville went up 2-0 in the game. I didn't leave early, but I don't blame people that hit the exits with a two goal deficit and only a couple minutes remaining.

Let's be honest too: there hasn't been much to cheer about in this series. I think last night it was probably just a lot of nervous energy in the building. I was a little surprised to hear the boos, though they aren't completely unwarranted either. If the players take offense, there is a solution.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#50 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

2nd line: Franzen Bertuzzi

These 2 shouldn't be on the same line right now. I still can't believe how useless they have been outside of Bert's "fight".

I'd say-

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Cleary
Franzen-Filppula-Hudler
Miller-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi
Holmstrom-Emmerton-Nyquist

I was present and that's totally false. Place was electric aside from the final 5 minutes of play. It was tough because any kind of chance was getting snuffed out and Rinne was just seeing everything. Same issue with not driving to the net, going to the dirty areas, and creating the traffic that is necessary to get the puck past him. Just shut down the engines, recharge the batteries, and get it together. 1 game at a time and whatever else the cliche machine can nail out. They can do this.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#51 metalkorn

metalkorn

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

If they win on Friday then it's possible. That's as much commitment as I'm giving at the moment.

#52 Jeff6851

Jeff6851

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

It's time to get desperate, no "spreading the offense" because it's not helping. Put Z, Dats and Nyquist on the first line and then make the rest whatever you want.
Detroit fan living in St. Louis
"To whom much is given, much is expected."
"Play them six times, they might win four, but not this game. Not tonight."
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

#53 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

Not feeling too great but I'm hoping for a 2012 New York Giants-like story.

#54 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

I sacrificed a chicken. The series is ours.

*Ok, it was chicken breasts and I baked them with stuffing, but it counts, right?

#55 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

No I don't believe Detroit will win this series. That being said, I already said this in the 1000 Post for a Game 5 Victory Thread. There always seems to be one game where Detroit simply blows our their opponent and we haven't seen that yet. I can honestly feel that is what is coming in Game 5. We'll have one game where we prove we are the better team even if it's just one time and than we lose Game 6. So I don't believe the Preds will win game 5 but I believe this series is done in 6......... I hope and pray that I'm wrong. Let's Go Red Wings!!!!

#56 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

i think babcock needs to step up and do some coaching. huds got a lucky deflection goal last game, but was a piece of giveaway garbage the rest of the games. he's slow and terrible on the forecheck and can't steal the puck from a timbit, thus he loses EVERY puck battle. Nyquist needs to move to the top 6. if babcock keeps going down to 2 1/2 lines every 3rd period, Dats and Z are gonna be useless cause they can't play that much in a period at a super high level. wings will lose this series next game if babcock doesn't use his real assets like Nyquist and i think it's time to bring up Smith.

the wings offense has been way too predictable and haven't gotten any good chances in the middle of the ice for 2 entire games now. last game was the worst and most boring hockey game i have ever watched. shades of the '03 ducks/devils cup final.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#57 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

It's time to get desperate, no "spreading the offense" because it's not helping. Put Z, Dats and Nyquist on the first line and then make the rest whatever you want.

agreed. unfortunately, babcock doesn't believe in rookies. they have far too much energy and jump in their step. here's my lines...

Dats - Z - Nyquist (as you said)
Mule - Flip - Cleary (actually been playing good....coming from a glass half empty toward Cleary guy)
Miller - Abdelkader - Bertuzzi
Homer - Emmerton - Hudler (got a LUCKY goal last game. has been by far the worst and most ineffective Wings player. Goals: 1 Giveaways: too high to count)

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#58 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

I've said it long before the playoffs began...This team won't make it outta the 1st round.

Sure but I bet you also said that Pittsburgh and Vancouver would make it out of the first round.
Do or do not. There is no try

#59 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

Please aim for the ears of Rinne...get the pucks above his chest and we won't need lucky bounces to win.

#60 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,480 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

It would help if his ears weren't so high, the dude is 7 feet tall on skates. :lol:

I don't really know why... but I feel like tomorrow is the breakout game, and the Wings will take this series.

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever