• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

newfy

Too many damn pretty boys

Rate this topic

There are way too many damn pretty boys trying to finesse themselves around the ice on this wings team. Zetterberg and Datsyuk are the most capable but aren't playing the perimeter. Meanwhile, Hudler and Filpulla havent cut int the middle of the ice or crashed the net yet it seems. Theres a reason Rinne can get this many shots and not allow any goals.

Having skilled guys and all is nice but there needs to be a mix. The best line for the wings has been Cleary and Abdelkader because they actually muck, grind and play playoff style hockey. They've crashed the net and generated chances. I cant believe how many weak outside shots I've seen Filppula take but its embarrassing almost.

This team needs grittier scorers. A not broken down Cleary would be a great start, maybe find a guy to replace an aging Homer as well. That gritty Maltby, Mccarty type playoff scoring is lacking from this team. People say that a 4th line barely matters, but having a fourth line getting all over the goalie is what this team needs. This team is just not greasy enough. Parise is a greasy goal scorer and would be a perfect start

This change starts with getting Hudler outta here. Cool he scored 25 goals, but so would a lot of guys given his linemates and ice time. He's soft and small, even if he crashes the net he does nothing cause he gets manhandled. UFA at years end

Replacing Holmstrom with a guy that plays his style of game is also critical. Trying to find a guy like Hornqvist would be huge for this team. Ryan Jones would be nice. He can score around 20 goals but plays a bit like Homer or Cleary as well.

Hopefully getting some of the bigger guys drafted lately into the line up will help. Sheahan doesnt seem that far off and is a big body that is capable of banging around the net and playing that style. This team needs to get some new garbage men. Babcock must be ready to rip his hair out watchign these guys dance around the outside while Rinne eats up everything.

I have to agree with this post. The 2nd line of Hudler-Z-Filp has been incredibly soft, and unwilling to grind it out for some goals. Way too many perimeter plays, and they often turn it over with a perimeter pass that sends the other team racing down the ice for an offensive chance.

Remember the good old days of Franzen - Z - Cleary grinding out the goals in the playoffs? Well, Franzen is another story....

Cleary has been surprisingly good however considering he is playing on one leg :(

PS. We miss Helm. He would have scored a big goal by now.

Size Size and more Size is key. How many times has filpulla and hudler been pinched along the boards and have the puck taken away? We really need some bigger guys to bump and grind and add some nastiness to the team. There are guys like this out there even if its through a trade, kenny has to get it done. Theres no reason to sit back and think this lineup with small secondary players can do it.

Cmon man, the last two games we played our asses off. Its just not there this year.

For whatever reason, it just wasnt there.

Lets see what happens in the next 6 months and maybe we will get a surprise. It takes a whole lot of luck and other things to line up to win a cup. Most teams will never experience the 4 I have seen in my lifetime!

Go WIngs!

There are way too many damn pretty boys trying to finesse themselves around the ice on this wings team. Zetterberg and Datsyuk are the most capable but aren't playing the perimeter. Meanwhile, Hudler and Filpulla havent cut int the middle of the ice or crashed the net yet it seems. Theres a reason Rinne can get this many shots and not allow any goals.

Having skilled guys and all is nice but there needs to be a mix. The best line for the wings has been Cleary and Abdelkader because they actually muck, grind and play playoff style hockey. They've crashed the net and generated chances. I cant believe how many weak outside shots I've seen Filppula take but its embarrassing almost.

This team needs grittier scorers. A not broken down Cleary would be a great start, maybe find a guy to replace an aging Homer as well. That gritty Maltby, Mccarty type playoff scoring is lacking from this team. People say that a 4th line barely matters, but having a fourth line getting all over the goalie is what this team needs. This team is just not greasy enough. Parise is a greasy goal scorer and would be a perfect start

This change starts with getting Hudler outta here. Cool he scored 25 goals, but so would a lot of guys given his linemates and ice time. He's soft and small, even if he crashes the net he does nothing cause he gets manhandled. UFA at years end

Replacing Holmstrom with a guy that plays his style of game is also critical. Trying to find a guy like Hornqvist would be huge for this team. Ryan Jones would be nice. He can score around 20 goals but plays a bit like Homer or Cleary as well.

Hopefully getting some of the bigger guys drafted lately into the line up will help. Sheahan doesnt seem that far off and is a big body that is capable of banging around the net and playing that style. This team needs to get some new garbage men. Babcock must be ready to rip his hair out watchign these guys dance around the outside while Rinne eats up everything.

I agree with all of this. Team needs to get greasier and tougher to play against. Lose Homer, Hudler, and Franzen up front. Bring in Parise, Semin, and a couple greasy 4th liners. Have D, Z, Fil, parise, Semin, and Nyquist in as your top six. Use Helm, Abby, Eaves, Cleary, and a couple of Prust/ Konopka/ Jones/ Hendricks/ others like that (too tired to see who are UFA's) as your bottom six. Have high end skill in the top six then throw energy, speed, and bangers and crashers in the bottom six to punish other teams.

Cmon man, the last two games we played our asses off. Its just not there this year.

For whatever reason, it just wasnt there.

Lets see what happens in the next 6 months and maybe we will get a surprise. It takes a whole lot of luck and other things to line up to win a cup. Most teams will never experience the 4 I have seen in my lifetime!

Go WIngs!

It wasnt their year because ******* like Filppula and Hudler sit at teh top of the circle flicking weak wristers at a good goalie cause no one wants to get their nose dirty. Too small and weak upfront, feels like back in the day when they had to shake up and trade for Shanny to balance some of that skill out. Nashville has a bunch of guys like Bourque who just have went to the net and got rewarded. The wings used to score like this all the time but Homer is getting older, the grind line is gone and guys like Hudler are in our top 6 ( :rolleyes: )

Wouldnt mind seeing the wings go after Ryan Malone maybe, hes been up for trade. Babcock has wanted some more bigger, greasy type players for a while and it seemingly been a weakness for awhile. Time to see if he has the balls to address it. Bertuzzi has size but hes getting old as well. Seems like anyone who plays that style is old or broken for the wings and theyre relying on all their skill and finesse which doesnt work in the playoffs (especially out west)

Hell, even throw Sheahan in on that fourth line next game in replace of Emmerton and see if he can light a little fire up there with his size.

I'll be posting the mother of all UFA lists for grinders coming up here in a few days.

Haha we do it every year, too bad Holland wouldnt just read this site!!!

I agree with most all of what you say. Now, I'm not declaring this series as over...but I think a change-up is needed regardless.

Step 1 is to not re-sign Hudler. You're right--a lot of players could put up his numbers playing with Z and Fil. We need to replace him with someone grittier.

I would have preferred to not re-sign Bertuzzi, but we're sort of stuck with him for 2 more years now. For his salary though, you're not going to get anyone better on the FA market.

And Franzen is tricky. I doubt we'd get fair value for him in a trade. But, maybe he can be reminded that he still has to work hard and can be the playoff player we've known again. Filppula usually plays well in the playoffs though (which makes these last 4 games surprising); and after his breakout season, we can't let him go.

Emmerton can go for a true 4th liner. Or he can battle for a spot with the big club. Holmstrom earned the right to decide. I think he's still serviceable if he had skilled linemates--just not as much as before. He still makes smart plays out there despite his total lack of speed and skill.

Again, I don't like the idea of looking ahead, but I was curious about this summer's free agents...

Zach Parise--Every team's wish list. His favorite player to watch though: Pavel Datsyuk. That gives me some hope.

Ryan Suter--I have a feeling he's going to re-sign with Nashville after all. If the unthinkable happens with Lidstrom, we need to do everything to try and get him. Like all of us, hope to God that Lidstrom comes back. I'm optimistically assuming that his uncharacteristically unspectacular play this series is due to his ankle injury. I don't see how he'd fall off so much in one year.

Justin Schultz--Anaheim isn't able to sign him so he's going to be a 21 year old UFA. Might as well make our pitch like most of the league.

Ryan Smyth/Shane Doan--Two really gritty players that haven't won a Cup. Perfect players for a Cup-seeking team with underrated skill as well. If they don't re-sign with their respective teams (I think they will), I would definitely make hard pitches for them.

Steve Sullivan--He's had a solid year with Pittsburgh, so they might re-sign him. If he tests the market though, I would pursue him. I think he could be a Drake type signing. Not in terms of playing style, of course. But, Sullivan plays with as much heart as anyone.

Barett Jackman/Cory Sarich/Pavel Kubina/Bryan Allen/Bryce Salvador/Jason Garrison--I don't like any of these defenseman very much, but we may need to replace Stuart. They're all probably going to be overpaid. Johnny Oduya's a possibility too--but I don't think he's physical enough. Again, if the unthinkable happens with Nick, we need all the D help-by-committee that we can get. Hal Gill and Shaone Morrisonn could be depth options as well. There are a few more depth defenseman on the market. None that stand out though.

Ian Laperriere--Gritty, older guy for the 4th line who plays through anything. He's concussed though and may not leave Philly after missing the whole season. Key attributes: Warrior, 38 years old, hasn't won a Cup

Brandon Prust--Perfect for the 4th line. Probably going to be overpaid for a role player though. Might be worth it since he can play too and is solid in his own zone.

Zenon Konopka/David Jones/Jamal Mayers, etc.--True 4th line type of players. Except Jones, who has some upside.

Lineup in place already (Helm and Abdelkader are RFAs who'll re-sign for sure; Quincey is probably back as well)...

Franzen-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Filppula-Zetterberg-?

Miller-Helm-Cleary

Abdelkader-?-Eaves

Emmerton-Mursak

Ideally, I'd insert Parise on the first line and bump Bertuzzi down. Nyquist should be ready--but is he going to be in GR again? Sheahan will stay in GR because this is Ken Holland running the team. Tatar isn't ready, most likely.

One of Konopka or Prust would be nice for the 4th line. Another 4th liner if Eaves doesn't recover. Emmerton and Mursak can fight for fringe spots.

?-White

Kronwall-?

Quincey-Ericsson

Kindl

Smith should be ready full time. Replace California-bound Stuart. And I don't even want to think of what happens with Nick. Everything hinges too much on him.

Wow. Our team looks really similar if we don't make any trades. Probably worse if we don't get Parise. Definitely worse if Nick hangs 'em up. :(

Edited by Nevermind

I've never seen such an overreaction in my life. 12 hours ago we were gonna "smoke those fools from Nashville" and everyone was calling for a blowout. Now we're too old and too slow and not "gritty" enough to compete?

News flash.....we were too old, not fast enough and not gritty enough in each of the past 3 seasons.....and waiving pixie dust and hoping a Parise falls in our lap isn't the answer.

This team has to start making the tough decisions. Saying goodbye to Homer and Brad Stuart to make way for a Nyquist and Brendan Smith....in a word :Rebuild: and the fallout is gonna be first round playoff exits or perhaps not making the playoffs at all.......that is the reality of it. This team has given us a great run.....tip your hats to them, pat them on the back and say good job and start rebuilding.

I've never seen such an overreaction in my life. 12 hours ago we were gonna "smoke those fools from Nashville" and everyone was calling for a blowout. Now we're too old and too slow and not "gritty" enough to compete?

News flash.....we were too old, not fast enough and not gritty enough in each of the past 3 seasons.....and waiving pixie dust and hoping a Parise falls in our lap isn't the answer.

This team has to start making the tough decisions. Saying goodbye to Homer and Brad Stuart to make way for a Nyquist and Brendan Smith....in a word :Rebuild: and the fallout is gonna be first round playoff exits or perhaps not making the playoffs at all.......that is the reality of it. This team has given us a great run.....tip your hats to them, pat them on the back and say good job and start rebuilding.

How do you call these guys for overreaction and then say we need to rebuild? This team could easily be a guy or two away from league dominance. Heck, if Helm and Eaves were playing we might not even be discussing this. We've at least kept up with Nashville, they've just cashed in (and mostly on fortunate plays) at the right times and Rinne has held them in it. I watch us dominate for 10 minutes but I have that sneaky feeling that they'll get a goofy goal if they make it down the ice and that's whats happened.

If Lidstrom stays, sign or trade a big body and/or go hard for Parise. If he doesn't, then ill listen to the rebuild talk...unless they sign Suter.

Edited by achildr1

If they don't pull out the next three games, changes will need to be made. Since they won their last Cup, they lost in the Finals, lost twice in the second round and now possibly in the first round. They have gotten progressively worse and will need to shake things up a bit for sure.

How do you call these guys for overreaction and then say we need to rebuild? This team could easily be a guy or two away from league dominance. Heck, if Helm and Eaves were playing we might not even be discussing this. We've at least kept up with Nashville, they've just cashed in (and mostly on fortunate plays) at the right times and Rinne has held them in it. I watch us dominate for 10 minutes but I have that sneaky feeling that they'll get a goofy goal if they make it down the ice and that's whats happened.

If Lidstrom stays, sign or trade a big body and/or go hard for Parise. If he doesn't, then ill listen to the rebuild talk...unless they sign Suter.

Bad choice of words......what I meant was flip flopping. The longer we continue with the thought that we are one or two players away, the longer we are delaying what in my opinion is inevitable.

Well, it's not really over yet, is it? As a fan, I don't give up until the Wings are actually eliminated. I'm going to save my theories for change until the boys are on the golf course. And that is not a given, imho. I think they are going to get inspired. And burn the freakin house down.

I think you gotta give Babcock some say in what players he wants/doesn't want. There's an obvious chemistry and grit issue this club has and the players unwilling to commit themselves need to be called out or moved. The home winning streak this year masked all the problems this team had and at the end of the day, it means squat. Gotta get bigger and meaner in the offseason.

I think you gotta give Babcock some say in what players he wants/doesn't want. There's an obvious chemistry and grit issue this club has and the players unwilling to commit themselves need to be called out or moved. The home winning streak this year masked all the problems this team had and at the end of the day, it means squat. Gotta get bigger and meaner in the offseason.

I'm sure Babcock is asked for input. Same as Nill, Draper, Chelios, Maltby, and the rest of the management, scouting, and development staff.

But in the end, Holland make the final decision, and the final call. Like it or not.

I agree with you 100%.

We should just take a look at teams in playoff, guys like Boyle, Neil, Prust, Couturier, etc... are the factors.

We need to get bigger and tougher, more RIGHT hand shots... As "Tim Cheveldae's Ghost" said - Bab's needs to be more consulted.

I'm sure Babcock is asked for input. Same as Nill, Draper, Chelios, Maltby, and the rest of the management, scouting, and development staff.

But in the end, Holland make the final decision, and the final call. Like it or not.

You are right it will be Holland's call (If Jimmy D allows it to be), & I don't like the idea of it being Holland's decision.

Signing Parise would definitely fix a lot of the problem. The team cant score goals and hes one of the best goal scorers in the league.

But more importantly, you call me overreacting then say we've been to slow the last 3 seasons? Yeah its built up for a while, this isnt a one game over reactionary thread. Watching a wings team be too scared except for one or 2 players take the puck to the net and score some ugly goals in the Joe (which should be one of the hardest rinks to play in) is pathetic

I look forward to seeing or creating a ufa list of grinders/fighters, however i know it will just get my hopes up as all Kenny will do is resign guy and not add any size or grit.