• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

newfy

Too many damn pretty boys

Rate this topic

The OP makes sense,but that's not a guarantee.

Where are the Nucks and Sharks with all these Kassians,Malhotras,Lapierres,Gagliardis,Winniks...etc.?...stuck in the series against good defensive teams with stellar goalies

What about Philly, Boston, LA, St Louis, etc.? These teams have players like that and are winning.

esteef

What about Philly, Boston, LA, St Louis, etc.? These teams have players like that and are winning.

esteef

PARITY BRO PARITY.

:sarcasm:

*edit* wtf? thats our sarcasm face?

Edited by evilzyme

The biggest issue in my mind is not enough timely scoring. Holland put a lot of his eggs into the Franzen basket, well just as a lot of people here thought hes not the 40 goal guy Holland thought he was. This team needs a true goal scorer on the first line with Pavel to help take the pressure off of him and Z. Had the wings last night or game 3 scored early they could have taken a lot of the wind out of Nashville's sails.

esteef

yeah,but those teams are built way different than Wings,Nucks and Sharks who think skill first,grit later and it will take more than just one or 2 big body addition to out muscle them.

Signing Parise would definitely fix a lot of the problem. The team cant score goals and hes one of the best goal scorers in the league.

But more importantly, you call me overreacting then say we've been to slow the last 3 seasons? Yeah its built up for a while, this isnt a one game over reactionary thread. Watching a wings team be too scared except for one or 2 players take the puck to the net and score some ugly goals in the Joe (which should be one of the hardest rinks to play in) is pathetic

We covered this a page back.....my choice of words was wrong. The thing I found funny was at this time yesterday....80-90% of the people here were calling a Wings blowout last night and talking about how much better we are then them......then I wake up this morning and the entire first page is filled with threads calling for Babcock to be fired, Holland to be fired, cut half the team, Jimmy Howard sucks! I've seen this coming for 3 years.....and I'm not tooting my own horn by any means.....my hope was they would add pieces here and there....they haven't, and there is not much infusion of young talent either......and what it adds up to is a franchise that suddenly looks very frail and weak.

We covered this a page back.....my choice of words was wrong. The thing I found funny was at this time yesterday....80-90% of the people here were calling a Wings blowout last night and talking about how much better we are then them......then I wake up this morning and the entire first page is filled with threads calling for Babcock to be fired, Holland to be fired, cut half the team, Jimmy Howard sucks! I've seen this coming for 3 years.....and I'm not tooting my own horn by any means.....my hope was they would add pieces here and there....they haven't, and there is not much infusion of young talent either......and what it adds up to is a franchise that suddenly looks very frail and weak.

That's just the way it is around here. The teeter totter is rarely level.

However, I do generally agree with the OP, regardless if Wings pull this series off or not. I also agree that this team has staling for several years and very little seems to be done about it. The sentiment is that it's been painful to watch. A good balance of finesse/skill & size/grit is needed, like what the Wings had in 97 & 98.

Chris ******* Stewart, Ryan Malone, Carnker (just so he could do the same s*** to Weber that he did to Boyle), would be a huge step foward in the toughness dept.

I look forward to seeing or creating a ufa list of grinders/fighters, however i know it will just get my hopes up as all Kenny will do is resign guy and not add any size or grit.

expect everyone to be back, with the addition of Kopecky and Sammy, that will be the grit and size we add

Signing Parise would definitely fix a lot of the problem. The team cant score goals and hes one of the best goal scorers in the league.

But more importantly, you call me overreacting then say we've been to slow the last 3 seasons? Yeah its built up for a while, this isnt a one game over reactionary thread. Watching a wings team be too scared except for one or 2 players take the puck to the net and score some ugly goals in the Joe (which should be one of the hardest rinks to play in) is pathetic

It has been building up for a couple pears. I think the lack of grit, along with the lack of a third line threat, has been part of the Wings' downfall.

For example, the second line of Flip- Z- Huds is very talented, but none of the players crash the net, punish in the corners, etc.

The bottom-six has a similar problem. The third line of Abby- Helm- Cleary can bang, but they don't have a scoring threat. This would be okay, but the fourth line has been a worse version of the third line. For the bottom six next season, I'd like the see something like this:

Tatar- Abby- Nyquist

Miller- Helm- Prust/Asham

The above lines would (hopefully) get similar amounts of ice time, but each has a distinct purpose.

The top-six needs players willing to go to the tough areas, and the bottom six needs an identity to each line.

^ Or they're built with a good mix which is exactly the point.

esteef

...but not over night,or on trade deadline.We should fire our complete management then for drafting 1 "callahan" and 3-4 "Tatars" every draft :scared:

Don't get me wrong,I'm pretty disappointed how the things are going at the moment,but this time I'd rather blame the players than the stuff :angry:

I wouldn't start loading this team up with tough guys. The way the playoff games have been played, someone is going to get seriously hurt and things will change over night.

I would just add Parros, Moen and maybe get Downey out of retirement.

Other than that, I wouldn't load the team up with tough guys or do anything drastic in that department.

I would just add Parros, Moen and maybe get Downey out of retirement.

Other than that, I wouldn't load the team up with tough guys or do anything drastic in that department.

Doing just one of the things you said would be a drastic move for Kenny Holland, it seems.

I think the problem is that the team lacks heart. You could see on the last few minutes of the game when we were down, Nashville worked a hell of a lot harder than Detroit did, and it all culminated to the Legwand goal on the forecheck. We lack urgency, we don't show signs of desperation. Babcock probably has the "stay calm" mentality in them, but I think that message wears out very quickly and can become ineffective, especially with players that have already won the cup. I that's the biggest problem, the younger players that have won a cup are all happy with that and don't seem to have the motivation to work their asses off for another post season. They aren't coming to the end of their careers, so they assume they can make a run the next year. This is true for players like Hudler, Filppula, Franzen. The players that don't have a cup are playing their best but simply aren't big enough or gritty enough to make a huge impact. These are the Nyquists, Emmertons, Mursaks, Millers, etc. I feel getting some grittier players who are hungry, for both top 6 and bottom 6 would help this team a lot.

Too many floaters on this team right now. Also too many people resting on their past success. If we want to get real, there are a lot of players that need to get turned over. Cleary, Holmstrom, Flip, Hudler, even Franzen and Bertuzzi. We need youth, grit, speed and hunger. Don't want to turn into the Pistons that "kept the band together too long".

How quickly people forget these "pretty boys" won the Cup in 2008 and was only 1 win away from repeating in 2009.

There's 26 teams full of "pretty boys" who've never won a thing!

That was a long time ago. It's a different league now.

Taken from my post last night in the holland's offseason plan topic:

It is glaringly obvious to me, several others on this forum, and should be to YOU READING THIS NOW, that we need to have a 3rd line or 4th line that needs WRECKERS. Not goons, not speed guys, we need a 3rd line of guys who can:

1. Play the body and win in a collision

2. Shore up team grit

3. Stand up for Howard and stop the snow showering/running bs, because Howard is the only enforcer of the crease we seem to have.

4. Have enough puck handling ability to scoop the biscuit away from a hit player and transition down the ice.

Start naming players and send it off to Holland and Illitch's offices.

We had McCarty, Drake and Maltby on the '08 team. We need guys like those.

Its hilarious when people say that the wings won in 2008 with a soft, pretty boy team. That team was by far the wings toughest since the lockout and for over 70 games in the regular season had a guy dressed strictly as a fighter. They also had a good middle weight with Dallas Drake and Lilja who until his injury was pretty damn tough. Those are just scrappers though.

That teams third line was Cleary Draper Drake. Not even an ounce of skill on that third line, just guys who would bust their bags with hard work and werent scared of s***. Theyw ould crash the net constantly, throw big hits and wear down the other team. Drake was the only really "tough" one but they all played a gritty game.

The fourth line center was Helm before he had any responsibilities. All he would do was run around, throw hits and crash the net. No defensive responsibility hardly, and was just sent off his leash for 8 minutes a game. Mccarty flanked him and he was scared of no one. He didnt pretend to be some skill guy hanging around the perimeter, he was in everyones face, crashing the net etc. If Mac wasnt on that line then Maltby was, who was still stirring s*** up and playing physical hockey. When we won in 2008, Hudler was relegated to the fourth line because he couldnt play playoff hockey, now hes on the teams top line. Homer was also still more capable to be a crash and bang type in the top 6.

So yes people continue to try to tell yourselves that this team can win with a soft line up and a bunch of pretty boys if it will help you sleep at night, be that blind fan boy that thinks the team is always built perfectly but looking at history, the wings have never won with a team like this. The 2009 team couldnt close it out even and they were much more skilled. The 2006 team that killed it was out first round.

But yeah you guys are right, the wings have won before with a soft line up :rolleyes:

Edited by newfy