• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

The OP makes sense,but that's not a guarantee.

Where are the Nucks and Sharks with all these Kassians,Malhotras,Lapierres,Gagliardis,Winniks...etc.?...stuck in the series against good defensive teams with stellar goalies

#22 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

There are way too many damn pretty boys trying to finesse themselves around the ice on this wings team. Zetterberg and Datsyuk are the most capable but aren't playing the perimeter. Meanwhile, Hudler and Filpulla havent cut int the middle of the ice or crashed the net yet it seems. Theres a reason Rinne can get this many shots and not allow any goals.

Having skilled guys and all is nice but there needs to be a mix. The best line for the wings has been Cleary and Abdelkader because they actually muck, grind and play playoff style hockey. They've crashed the net and generated chances. I cant believe how many weak outside shots I've seen Filppula take but its embarrassing almost.

This team needs grittier scorers. A not broken down Cleary would be a great start, maybe find a guy to replace an aging Homer as well. That gritty Maltby, Mccarty type playoff scoring is lacking from this team. People say that a 4th line barely matters, but having a fourth line getting all over the goalie is what this team needs. This team is just not greasy enough. Parise is a greasy goal scorer and would be a perfect start

This change starts with getting Hudler outta here. Cool he scored 25 goals, but so would a lot of guys given his linemates and ice time. He's soft and small, even if he crashes the net he does nothing cause he gets manhandled. UFA at years end

Replacing Holmstrom with a guy that plays his style of game is also critical. Trying to find a guy like Hornqvist would be huge for this team. Ryan Jones would be nice. He can score around 20 goals but plays a bit like Homer or Cleary as well.

Hopefully getting some of the bigger guys drafted lately into the line up will help. Sheahan doesnt seem that far off and is a big body that is capable of banging around the net and playing that style. This team needs to get some new garbage men. Babcock must be ready to rip his hair out watchign these guys dance around the outside while Rinne eats up everything.

I agree with you 100%.

We should just take a look at teams in playoff, guys like Boyle, Neil, Prust, Couturier, etc... are the factors.

We need to get bigger and tougher, more RIGHT hand shots... As "Tim Cheveldae's Ghost" said - Bab's needs to be more consulted.
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#23 pondrocket

pondrocket

Rookie

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

I'm sure Babcock is asked for input. Same as Nill, Draper, Chelios, Maltby, and the rest of the management, scouting, and development staff.

But in the end, Holland make the final decision, and the final call. Like it or not.

You are right it will be Holland's call (If Jimmy D allows it to be), & I don't like the idea of it being Holland's decision.

#24 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

What the hell you guys talking about? I thought we hit the juckf****** pott.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#25 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

News flash.....we were too old, not fast enough and not gritty enough in each of the past 3 seasons.....and waiving pixie dust and hoping a Parise falls in our lap isn't the answer.

Signing Parise would definitely fix a lot of the problem. The team cant score goals and hes one of the best goal scorers in the league.

But more importantly, you call me overreacting then say we've been to slow the last 3 seasons? Yeah its built up for a while, this isnt a one game over reactionary thread. Watching a wings team be too scared except for one or 2 players take the puck to the net and score some ugly goals in the Joe (which should be one of the hardest rinks to play in) is pathetic

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#26 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

I look forward to seeing or creating a ufa list of grinders/fighters, however i know it will just get my hopes up as all Kenny will do is resign guy and not add any size or grit.
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#27 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

The OP makes sense,but that's not a guarantee.

Where are the Nucks and Sharks with all these Kassians,Malhotras,Lapierres,Gagliardis,Winniks...etc.?...stuck in the series against good defensive teams with stellar goalies

What about Philly, Boston, LA, St Louis, etc.? These teams have players like that and are winning.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#28 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

What about Philly, Boston, LA, St Louis, etc.? These teams have players like that and are winning.

esteef

PARITY BRO PARITY.

:sarcasm:

*edit* wtf? thats our sarcasm face?

Edited by evilzyme, 18 April 2012 - 12:36 PM.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#29 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

The biggest issue in my mind is not enough timely scoring. Holland put a lot of his eggs into the Franzen basket, well just as a lot of people here thought hes not the 40 goal guy Holland thought he was. This team needs a true goal scorer on the first line with Pavel to help take the pressure off of him and Z. Had the wings last night or game 3 scored early they could have taken a lot of the wind out of Nashville's sails.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#30 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

esteef

yeah,but those teams are built way different than Wings,Nucks and Sharks who think skill first,grit later and it will take more than just one or 2 big body addition to out muscle them.

#31 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

^ Or they're built with a good mix which is exactly the point.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#32 Wingedwheeler2

Wingedwheeler2

Prospect

• 37 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

Signing Parise would definitely fix a lot of the problem. The team cant score goals and hes one of the best goal scorers in the league.

But more importantly, you call me overreacting then say we've been to slow the last 3 seasons? Yeah its built up for a while, this isnt a one game over reactionary thread. Watching a wings team be too scared except for one or 2 players take the puck to the net and score some ugly goals in the Joe (which should be one of the hardest rinks to play in) is pathetic

We covered this a page back.....my choice of words was wrong. The thing I found funny was at this time yesterday....80-90% of the people here were calling a Wings blowout last night and talking about how much better we are then them......then I wake up this morning and the entire first page is filled with threads calling for Babcock to be fired, Holland to be fired, cut half the team, Jimmy Howard sucks! I've seen this coming for 3 years.....and I'm not tooting my own horn by any means.....my hope was they would add pieces here and there....they haven't, and there is not much infusion of young talent either......and what it adds up to is a franchise that suddenly looks very frail and weak.

#33 ElCapitan

ElCapitan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

We covered this a page back.....my choice of words was wrong. The thing I found funny was at this time yesterday....80-90% of the people here were calling a Wings blowout last night and talking about how much better we are then them......then I wake up this morning and the entire first page is filled with threads calling for Babcock to be fired, Holland to be fired, cut half the team, Jimmy Howard sucks! I've seen this coming for 3 years.....and I'm not tooting my own horn by any means.....my hope was they would add pieces here and there....they haven't, and there is not much infusion of young talent either......and what it adds up to is a franchise that suddenly looks very frail and weak.

That's just the way it is around here. The teeter totter is rarely level.

However, I do generally agree with the OP, regardless if Wings pull this series off or not. I also agree that this team has staling for several years and very little seems to be done about it. The sentiment is that it's been painful to watch. A good balance of finesse/skill & size/grit is needed, like what the Wings had in 97 & 98.

#34 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

Chrisf****** Stewart, Ryan Malone, Carnker (just so he could do the same s*** to Weber that he did to Boyle), would be a huge step foward in the toughness dept.

I look forward to seeing or creating a ufa list of grinders/fighters, however i know it will just get my hopes up as all Kenny will do is resign guy and not add any size or grit.

expect everyone to be back, with the addition of Kopecky and Sammy, that will be the grit and size we add
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#35 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

It has been building up for a couple pears. I think the lack of grit, along with the lack of a third line threat, has been part of the Wings' downfall.

For example, the second line of Flip- Z- Huds is very talented, but none of the players crash the net, punish in the corners, etc.

The bottom-six has a similar problem. The third line of Abby- Helm- Cleary can bang, but they don't have a scoring threat. This would be okay, but the fourth line has been a worse version of the third line. For the bottom six next season, I'd like the see something like this:

Tatar- Abby- Nyquist
Miller- Helm- Prust/Asham

The above lines would (hopefully) get similar amounts of ice time, but each has a distinct purpose.

The top-six needs players willing to go to the tough areas, and the bottom six needs an identity to each line.

#36 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

^ Or they're built with a good mix which is exactly the point.

esteef

...but not over night,or on trade deadline.We should fire our complete management then for drafting 1 "callahan" and 3-4 "Tatars" every draft :scared:

Don't get me wrong,I'm pretty disappointed how the things are going at the moment,but this time I'd rather blame the players than the stuff :angry:

#37 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

How quickly people forget these "pretty boys" won the Cup in 2008 and was only 1 win away from repeating in 2009.

There's 26 teams full of "pretty boys" who've never won a thing!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#38 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

I wouldn't start loading this team up with tough guys. The way the playoff games have been played, someone is going to get seriously hurt and things will change over night.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#39 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

I wouldn't start loading this team up with tough guys. The way the playoff games have been played, someone is going to get seriously hurt and things will change over night.

I would just add Parros, Moen and maybe get Downey out of retirement.

Other than that, I wouldn't load the team up with tough guys or do anything drastic in that department.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#40 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

I would just add Parros, Moen and maybe get Downey out of retirement.

Other than that, I wouldn't load the team up with tough guys or do anything drastic in that department.

Doing just one of the things you said would be a drastic move for Kenny Holland, it seems.