• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

So, you guys want a team of grinders? Why not join fans of Boston or Nashville then - I personally enjoy watching pretty goals scored once in a while and SKILL has been the signature of the Wings since early 90s. BTW that weakling Semin scored NICE winner today, and when great tough Abdelcader scored last time? If we get Semin, at least Datsyuk won't be bored dead playing with you know whom (Parize does sound better choice to me then Semin, but a lot of teams want him). Finally, Bert, Mule, and Holmstrom can all be considered grinders - unite them in a Red Bombers line and give the assignement to hit rather then score.

I pretty much agree. Like how at the deadline Gillis traded away Vancouver's 3rd line scoring potential for grinders and the team has been misfiring ever since.

It's always been a league of copy cats. WHen Detroit wins the Cup, all of the sudden everyone wants a puck moving Dman and skilled players. Then Boston rag dolls Vancouver on the way to winning the Cup and everyone wants hard hitting hockey players.

Seriously, we are only a few bad bounces away from being up 3-1 instead of down 3-1, but unfortunately, that's hockey.

We all know that if this team goes balls out for 60 minutes, they can beat anybody in the NHL. That's what's bumbed me out.

#62 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

I pretty much agree. Like how at the deadline Gillis traded away Vancouver's 3rd line scoring potential for grinders and the team has been misfiring ever since.

It's always been a league of copy cats. WHen Detroit wins the Cup, all of the sudden everyone wants a puck moving Dman and skilled players. Then Boston rag dolls Vancouver on the way to winning the Cup and everyone wants hard hitting hockey players.

Seriously, we are only a few bad bounces away from being up 3-1 instead of down 3-1, but unfortunately, that's hockey.

We all know that if this team goes balls out for 60 minutes, they can beat anybody in the NHL. That's what's bumbed me out.

Yep and they were only a couple bounces away last year, and the year before that too. Some guys go out and make their own luck by working hard, forechecking and not floating around. Detroit has too many players of this ilk it seems.

Its not a league of copy cats, its called getting balance on the team. When Detroit won the cup they had it, this team doesnt want to work for it

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#63 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

Cant plus this enough!!!!!

#64 stevie for president

stevie for president

Red Blings

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

Is it just coincidental that the only game the wings won, and really the only game where they played like they wanted to win, was the game where Bertuzzi fought Weber? Or how about this, Since 2007, we lost to a bigger Ducks team, two bigger Sharks teams, and a bigger Predators team. In 2008 and 2009 we had grinders and hell raisers and those were the cup run years.

#65 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

Defensive breakdown's and bone-head plays lost this series.

The lack of a pure goal scorer, a crease-clearing defenseman, and size/youth/hunger in the bottom six was definitely an issue and would have insured an unsuccessful cup run in the end.

But if this team had played with more mental discipline, this would have been different.

It's hard to argue which team played a more successful style of hockey right now when only one team was able to execute their gameplan. Nashville played the best version of their game and Detroit was sub-standard at doing what they normally do well: smart, disciplined, puck-possession hockey. If both team's were playing their A game, then you could compare playing styles .
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#66 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

Nyquist seemed to have more jump than anyone else on the team. Not that he was ultimately the most effective, but he seemed to be a threat, getting lose, showing up at the right time at the right place.

Cleary had a ton jump...for that one game. Last game it looked like his meds were off, and he looked almost groggy.

Datsyuk looked...coverred. Good on Suter, but you could tell Dats was not 100% recoverred. Knees suck.

From what I saw during the season, Conner and Smith would have had more jump in this series than any other Wings.

Lidstrom's injury was apparent on the ice; hamperred his mobility.

Same with Bertuzzi.

Filp and Franzen were ineffective.