• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

How do we fix this?

Rate this topic

1) Cleary actually played better than most of the team on one leg, I wanted him gone before this series and honestly I don't see any clear cut improvement with someone else. I wouldn't be upset if he is moved, but it doesn't have to happen.

2) Smith and Nyquist are going to be on the roster. Tatar might be, I don't sheahan should be at all. Mursak should have been playing the entire year in more situations. Babcock really screwed up there.

3)Helm and Abs will be resigned. However, Abs might be part of the problem.

4) I wouldn't bet on the Wings being able to get either of these guys. Suter just watched his team steamroll the Wings. Why would he want to leave now? I am looking at their cap situation, and they could realistically keep him and sacrifice depth. In fact, he could go anywhere he wants with Parise as they are friends. The Wings will try, but I don't see this as something we should realistically bank on. I also don't think Parise would fix our problems because he would play into the Wings mentality.

5) Lidstrom might not even come back. I don't know what was going on with all the conservative use of him in this series and leading up. He might feel he is too beat up to keep going, or at least that he doesn't want to do it on discount.

Bonus: We need to fire Babcock.

In regards to 4. Parise has stated many times that Datsyuk is his favorite player. Tell him that he'll spend a lot of time on his line and give him a big contract and I could easily see him with us next season (throw in all the other factors like pretty much being guaranteed a playoff spot). Nashville isn't going to be a team relying on superstars to get it done, they haven't in this series outside of Rinne. They will want their depth players and they'll need to re-sign Weber and Rinne's pay is going to double next season. Sure, he just watched his team trounce the Wings but everyone knows it's because we're missing a few key parts. Who's to say they won't get crushed in the next round?

The one thing that makes me worried that we might not get either of them is Holland deciding he wants to win with the pieces we have.

The first thing that Holland needs to do, and would be a good sign of things to come, is that he decides to get a new flipping haircut and stop walking around like he just stuck his head in a grease gun. All the money in the world and he goes out his house looking like that. What is the deal? If he can figure that out, I will expect better things moving forward.

I'm not ready to dismiss this team just yet. Game 4 was an almost perfect game by the Wings except for the bad coverage on the second goal, which was on Howard and those three in the corner.

But you can't really argue with 40 shots against what, 20, if that? They even crashed the net a few times. I know Babcock and Holland have urged "staying the course" at various times this year, and denied anything being wrong, but this time I think they are right. They SHOULD have won the last game. What more can they do except hope a few go in and Howard stays sharp in case he doesn't face a lot of shots?

I don't think there's a lot that needs to be fixed. Mostly we just need to free up cap room by letting Hudler, Stuart, and Holmstrom go.

I think for a few years Holland has planned that this off season he'd make a big move or two. I can see Nyquist, Tatar, and Smith playing full time, which frees up money to sign Parise. Suter, I don't think he'll sign here, but we have enough good guys on D if Lidstrom retires, or Holland will make another mid level White type signing.

We can still win one more Cup with Zetterberg and Datsyuk as the leaders of this team. I think long term, and I don't see going out in the 1st round this year a bad thing. Holland can use the early exit to make some much needed changes, and the core of the team will be hungrier going into next year.

This could be like 2001 all over again.

I don't think there's a lot that needs to be fixed. Mostly we just need to free up cap room by letting Hudler, Stuart, and Holmstrom go.

I think for a few years Holland has planned that this off season he'd make a big move or two. I can see Nyquist, Tatar, and Smith playing full time, which frees up money to sign Parise. Suter, I don't think he'll sign here, but we have enough good guys on D if Lidstrom retires, or Holland will make another mid level White type signing.

We can still win one more Cup with Zetterberg and Datsyuk as the leaders of this team. I think long term, and I don't see going out in the 1st round this year a bad thing. Holland can use the early exit to make some much needed changes, and the core of the team will be hungrier going into next year.

This could be like 2001 all over again.

Not really.

Back then one team could sign Hasek, Hull and Robitaille in the same offseason. Not anymore with the salary cap.

Besides, the 2001 Wings were a lot better than this team. More star players in their prime and a deeper skill set overall with a brighter future. This team doesn't look all that good for the future with this group of players.

Not really.

Back then one team could sign Hasek, Hull and Robitaille in the same offseason. Not anymore with the salary cap.

Besides, the 2001 Wings were a lot better than this team. More star players in their prime and a deeper skill set overall with a brighter future. This team doesn't look all that good for the future with this group of players.

This team is younger than the 2001 team. Datsyuk and Zetterberg in 2012 are younger than Yzerman and Shanahan were in 2001, plus overall there's more, and better, young talent coming up in 2012 too.

Edited by Barrie

All I can say is, there will be moves made because of the available space, and guys like Helm and Eaves will be back. The ones that can take the pressure off the top guys and wear down the opposition, and of course kill penalties. And anyone who has watched this team for the last 10 years can see that Pavel is obviously not at 100% and hasn't seemed to be for a while. I think he may still even be nursing that wrist injury from last year. If he comes back next year healed up, it will make a difference. I don't see Lids retiring because they are playing the outdoor game in Detroit next year. Should be Lids final season and an appropriate farewell. Have an opportunity to get guys like Suter, Luongo, Parise, and maybe others. Definitely let Huds go. Probably see Holmer retire even though I wish he didn't have to. Cleary may have to compete for a spot since he is perpetually at 50%. Franzen will be told to step up or he will be moved. He may be leading the team in scoring, but thats not saying much. Should be putting more offense on the board, especially this time of year. He just seems like he isn't in as good physical condition as other guys. There just isn't much speed there anymore. Filpulla will need to add playing gritty to his repertoire so he can produce this time of year as well. You have to get to the dirty areas and its no secret Babs preaches this. I will be really happy if they get a guy who will drop the guys and not let the other team get away with disrespectful cheap shots on our talent. There should not even be an argument on that. It has become very obvious that this time of year, its a necessity.

If Holland doesn't make at least one of the said changes above, I will be surprised, angry and confused, and like others here, wondering what the hell he is thinking.

Edited by plopster

This team is younger than the 2001 team. Datsyuk and Zetterberg in 2012 are younger than Yzerman and Shanahan were in 2001, plus overall there's more, and better, young talent coming up in 2012 too.

Lidstrom was in his prime and Fedorov was maybe a year or two removed from his. And guys like Yzerman, Shanahan and Chelios still had many years of All-Star caliber play to give. And we had the best checking line in the league.

This year's team has older players that don't have anything more to give, let alone All Star play for several more seasons. I'm talking Bertuzzi, Holmstrom and Cleary. And our checking line is a freaking joke which couldn't intimidate a girl's softball team.

Trust me, we were in much better shape for the future in 2001, even if we didn't go out and sign three Hall of Famers that summer. Don't forget that Hasek retired after 2002 and Robitaille left after 2003. Hull played an extra season after that. Yet the Wings continued to dominate for many more seasons after their departures, because we had up and coming talent in the form of Datsyuk and Zetterberg, plus leftovers from 2001 who were still great players.

When Lidstrom retires, we won't have Hall of Fame players left on our roster and there's no one in our system who will become Datsyuk or Zetterberg. Or even a Kronwall.

Edited by GMRwings1983