• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

I'm very open to trading Filpulla and Franzen at this point in time. With Filpulla's breakout season, he'll be worth more than usual and Franzen needs to find a new team to put a spark in his lazy play. They are both still worth a fair bit.

Side-note: Anyone else like the Klein dude on Nashville? He's been their best defensemen all series.

Edited by Danielsm, 18 April 2012 - 09:30 AM.

#22 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

I'm very open to trading Filpulla and Franzen at this point in time. With Filpulla's breakout season, he'll be worth more than usual and Franzen needs to find a new team to put a spark in his lazy play. They are both still worth a fair bit.

Side-note: Anyone else like the Klein dude on Nashville? He's been their best defensemen all series.

Franzen hell yes. Filppula no. Fil is gonna be a Wing for his career IMO. He's only going to get better and more confident as he is hitting his prime right now. Keep Filppula. Trade Franzen.

#23 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

Franzen hell yes. Filppula no. Fil is gonna be a Wing for his career IMO. He's only going to get better and more confident as he is hitting his prime right now. Keep Filppula. Trade Franzen.

You're just saying that because you'll have to change your name. :lol:

#24 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

You're just saying that because you'll have to change your name. :lol:

Haha you caught me!! Posted Image. If it were me I would keep Filppula, trade Franzen, let Hudler go, and sign Parise and Semin. Premote Nyquist to first line and you have a dominant top six.

Nyquist- Datsyuk- Semin
Filppula- Zetterberg- Parise

Sound good?

#25 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

Filppula's value is high, so I get that logic, but you'll never get a comparable player back in return. Filppula is the best player on the team not named Zetterberg, Datsyuk, or Lidstrom. He earns every point he gets and then some. He hasn't be able to get on the scoreboard these playoffs, but who has? Filppula has to stay.

Franzen has to go, in my opinion. He has become the face of this teams bad habits and poor effort. He'll still be able to fetch a decent return, but not for long. With another 8 years left, the Wings need to clear him from their books, even if essentially taking a "mulligan" on his contract doesn't get them what they feel is adequate. Shop him quietly and do it by the draft/free-agency, this team will be world's better for it.

#26 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

Haha you caught me!! Posted Image. If it were me I would keep Filppula, trade Franzen, let Hudler go, and sign Parise and Semin. Premote Nyquist to first line and you have a dominant top six.

Nyquist- Datsyuk- Semin

Sound good?

Hudler has been great this year and he doesn't cost much. I actually may be inclined to keep him. He's been rather clutch. Third line with PP time?

Edited by Danielsm, 18 April 2012 - 10:01 AM.

#27 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Hudler has been great this year and he doesn't cost much. I actually may be inclined to keep him. He's been rather clutch. Third line with PP time?

Yes your talking to a big Hudler fan here. I would keep him for the right price, but we need to get Franzen off of this team ASAP. He's everything that is wrong with this team. No effort, no drive, no head for the game. We need to add talent to the top six and speed, size, grit, and toughness to the bottom six.

#28 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

We should've seen this coming (Franzen being terrible). His line in that Ram commercial is "Howard's in trouble", but it always makes me think: "You're the one who's in trouble. You can't even score on a truck these days" Posted Image

#29 pondrocket

pondrocket

Rookie

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

last i checked it was a best of 7 series...

I know, it is a best of 7. But this was lost at the trade deadline when Kenny "couldn't find a fit". I don't say that without feeling some of his pain. Over two decades of greatness is a tough act to change. I still absolutely trust Jimmy D to be impact-full in the planning to adjust my favorite sports team to be even more competitive in "this" NHL.

#30 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

Cleary needs to stay, he's been fine.

I wouldn't mind a shake up to the roster with a Franzen trade if the value is close. We need much more consistentcy, not only in scoring goals but defensively in awareness and effort and I just have not seen that in Franzen and as the team's main scoring winger that's not good enough.

But the main thing we need to fix is defensive coverage, way too many odd man rushes and wide open players in the slot. The thing I'm not sure about if it's the coaching, or quality of players declining, our defense has gotten worse each consecutive year so something needs to change.

I'd like to see the Holland get a top 4 defenseman like Matt Carle, Suter, or Wideman. Forwards outside of Parise don't excite me a whole lot, we might need to try a trade there. No way in hell would I want Semin here.

#31 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

Think somehow a trade with Frazen to Anaheim for one the big three there or for someone like Kesler could happen? Kesler being a Michigan boy and all...

#32 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

Think somehow a trade with Frazen to Anaheim for one the big three there or for someone like Kesler could happen? Kesler being a Michigan boy and all...

I'm sure he and Kronwall would become best of friends too. :lol:
I wouldn't mind one of the Ducks top 3 for Franzen actually. Ryan had a mediocre year and he's a right winger..

#33 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

Step by Step. 22.6 mill in cap space for 15/23 man roster

1) trade Franzen, Kindl, Emmerton for picks and prospects. Leaving us with roughly 28 mill with 12/23 spots taken

2) Throw Nyquist, Smith, and Mursak on the team leaving us with roughly 25.7 mill in cap space with 15/23 spots taken

3) Resign Helm and Andelkader. Helm 3 or 4 years for 1.75 a year. Abby 3 year 1.2. 22.75 in cap space for 17/23 spots taken.

4) Sign Suter, Parise, and Semin for a total of 19 million. Leaving 3.75 in space with 20/23 spots taken.

5) Sign Konopka and another fourth line physical player for cheap say 1.8 or so for both. Leaving 1.95 in space with 22/23 spots taken.

6) Sign a physical bruising d-man for around 1-1.2. Leaving 750,000- 950,000 in space with a full roster.

Nyquist- Datsyuk- Semin
Abdelkader- Helm- Eaves
Cleary- Konopka- 4th liner/ bertuzzi/ mursak

Suter- Big E
Kronwall- Smith
Quincey- White

Physical bruising d-man

Howard
Joey

NO SEMIN!!!!! he is streaky and lazy and well....no!
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#34 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

I think we all better face facts -- with his contract (eight more years at a cap hit of almost $4M) and his inconsistent-at-best play the past two seasons, Franzen is pretty well untradeable.

#35 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

GUYS HELP ME UNDERSTAND!!!!

I don't know much about Parise. Would you guys say he is more of a sniper or playmaker?

I ask because this team NEEDS a sniper of which Semin is.

I'm not doubting Parise's talent, but i am hessitant in wanting another sub 6 foot player on this team....

#36 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

NO SEMIN!!!!! he is streaky and lazy and well....no!

Thats your opinion, but I think he'd be gold with Datsyuk.

#37 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

Yes, there IS still hockey to be played and YES we're all still on board but there has been a backslide in playoff performance, by which this entire franchise is graded, and some changes will need to be made.

I'm not going to talk as much in specifics as far to much can happen on salary projections ie bidding wars, guys sign elsewhere for more/less etc.

Homer, we love you, this was your last year.

I'd be open to trading Franzen. We seem to spend a lot of time these last couple three playoff runs skating the perimeter while teams go north/south at the Wings. There is no bigger poster child to perimeter play an The Mule.

Jimmeh thus far has also taken a step back this playoff run but only those in the dressing room know if it has been compounded by bad defense and bad backchecking.

I'd sooner say the Wings would land Parise than Suter/Weber. The Devils did NOTHING once again to show Parise he's a valued guy they want to win NOW with whereas Nashville did add parts to show Suter/Weber they are serious about winning. Plus the Devils are going to undergo a little identity crisis this upcoming offseason. Rumors here in Devilland have them damned worried Parise will bolt.

The Wings STILL need some top flight defense. I'm not saying you have to go find the next Weber, hell sign a couple guys like Volchenkov who block every shot and play nasty minutes. Sign a couple real attention to detail defensemen, something sadly Brad Stuart is no longer. He's been a serviceable pro and I hope he finds peace living in SoCal with his family.

Extras we could consider losing: Eaves (sorry Patrick, it's unfortunate), Cleary who again gave his all but we need to get better up front, Abdelkader vexes me night in and night out. Some may have a home for him, I'd be open to trading him.

On defense keep everyone but Stuart until you know what St. Nick wants to do. Then you can streamline your pairing by addition and subtraction. Is Kindl really the future? Is Smith ready for an 82+ game season?

It's time like this I miss Scotty whispering in Kenny's ear.

agree with everything you said...except...i think that quincey should be let go too. guy is a bottom pairing defenseman that earns almost 4 mil a season.

#38 mmorland

mmorland

SRD Writer, Broadcaster

• PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

First off, lets be realistic. Cleary is hurt and will be improved next season. The team isn't going to trade him. 2nd, Fillpula isn't going to get traded, this organization over values his talent.
"I can't believe I shook this guys frickin' hand. We lost and I'm pissed off. But to see Kris Draper's face makes me sick. I didn't see his face until after the game, but his face is turned sideways. If the league doesn't do something about that ... I mean that's ridiculous. He could have broken his fricken neck."

-Dino Ciccarelli

#39 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

GUYS HELP ME UNDERSTAND!!!!

I don't know much about Parise. Would you guys say he is more of a sniper or playmaker?

I ask because this team NEEDS a sniper of which Semin is.

I'm not doubting Parise's talent, but i am hessitant in wanting another sub 6 foot player on this team....

Parise has 194 goals in 502 games, Semin has 197 in 469. Parise isn't as good of a pure goal scorer by just looking at Shooting %, but he takes way less penalties, puts up equivalent power play numbers, scores short handed goals, and is just a more effective over all player.

Semin has talent, I just don't see him being what the Wings need in that #1 scoring winger position especially with the concerns about attitude and consistency.

Edited by Carman, 18 April 2012 - 01:38 PM.

#40 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

Parise has 194 goals in 502 games, Semin has 197 in 469. Parise isn't as good of a pure goal scorer by just looking at Shooting %, but he takes way less penalties, puts up equivalent power play numbers, scores short handed goals, and is just a more effective over all player.

Semin has talent, I just don't see him being what the Wings need in that #1 scoring winger position especially with the concerns about attitude and consistency.

The problem is that we already have too many perimeter players (like Semin). We need big strong guys that charge the net with skill.