• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
KrazyGangsta

The "Age" factor has finally caught up!

Rate this topic

After years and years analysts saying that the wings are done because they are getting to old and all has finally came true. We no longer have that "elite" young players that we use to have to carry this team on there shoulder.

Our 2 first lines:

V. Filppula ---> 28 years old, good / decent player at best.

H. Zetterberg ---> 31 years old very good / elite at his best.

J. Hudler ---> 28 years old, okay / good at best.

J. Franzen ---> 32 years old, good / decent player at best.

P. Datsyuk ---> 33 years old, elite / elite at his best

D. Cleary ---> 33 years old, okay / good at his best

^^^ We're not too old on offense but we're not young, nor hungry for another run ... and it will keep getting worst. Cleary unfortunately shouldn't even be on a top two line. Franzen - Datsyuk - Zetterberg are all getting a year older, how long will they keep carrying this team on there back?

Filppula & Hudler ...second line players at best, they just don't have that elite level to help this team win another cup.

Bertuzzi is @ 37 ... we're just going to see decrease in his game.

Cleary should not be resigned and be replaced by Miller when his contract runs out.

Helm Abdelkader Emmerton ... will never be that top 2 line players but they are excellent in that role and thank god they are young.

Nyquist looks talented, hope Tatar makes the team next year as well.

Worried on defense tho ... Stuart is good as gone this year. Looks like this will be Lidstrom's last year. His injuries are taking longer to recover and his scoring touch has declined this year. Age has caught up with our captain which is really sad.

I have no idea what's going to happen on defense after this year ... really scares me seeing this team going into next season with:

Kronwall Ericsson

Quincey White

Kindl Smith

* Added after edit:

Every other team in the playoffs this year is young and very hungry and I just don't see use competing at there level.

We are missing an elite sniper that could find the back of the net & we will be missing an elite defense after this year.

All tho, a lot of people will hate what I'm going to say ... but it's not the first time that I've said this on LGW and it will not be the last time either but ...

This team will never win a Stanley cup with Jimmy Howard! ... Would love to see him win tho don't get me wrong I love the kid but I just don't see it happening.

Edited by KrazyGangsta

I like cleary better on the first 2 lines than bertuzzi. Cleary plays with more heart in the playoffs while Bert just takes penalties.

Kronwall Ericsson

Quincey White

Kindl

smith............

And/ or a free agent signing................

You don't lose players and not get anything back

I like cleary better on the first 2 lines than bertuzzi. Cleary plays with more heart in the playoffs while Bert just takes penalties.

I don't disagree with you wingsfan4795 but isn't it kind of sad to see Cleary or Bertuzzi being the best options for our second line ...

* Been watching the wings for about 15-20 years now and this is the worst shape I've ever seen them in.

Edited by KrazyGangsta

I don't disagree with you wingsfan4795 but isn't it kind of sad to see Cleary or Bertuzzi being the best options for our second line ...

* Been watching the wings for about 15-20 years now and this is the worst shape I've ever seen them in.

They aren't the best options. Babcock is just too stupid to realize that since Nyquist has been up, this team is at it's best when he is playing with Datsyuk. It is right in front of you Babcock. Datsyuk+ Nyquist= Duh!!!!

Franzen - Datsyuk - Zetterberg are all getting a year older, how long will they keep carrying this team on there back?

I edited this for you. Franzen in no way is carrying the team on his back. He cant even carry his hockey bag on his back with how unmotivated he has become.

You do realize that this team is not as "old" as they once were. Old is not the issue. The guys listed in the OP as "not young but not old" are all in the prime of there careers (26-33 in my opinion for hockey players). The problem is they dont have the right types of players in the top 9 forwards to mesh together.

People also said the Wings would not win a Cup with Chris Osgood. Look how that turned out. Goal-tending is not the issue on this team. Its just the easiest thing for people to point to.

After years and years analysts saying that the wings are done because they are getting to old and all has finally came true. We no longer have that "elite" young players that we use to have to carry this team on there shoulder.

Our 2 first lines:

V. Filppula ---> 28 years old, good / decent player at best.

H. Zetterberg ---> 31 years old very good / elite at his best.

J. Hudler ---> 28 years old, okay / good at best.

J. Franzen ---> 32 years old, good / decent player at best.

P. Datsyuk ---> 33 years old, elite / elite at his best

D. Cleary ---> 33 years old, okay / good at his best

^^^ We're not too old on offense but we're not young, nor hungry for another run ... and it will keep getting worst. Cleary unfortunately shouldn't even be on a top two line. Franzen - Datsyuk - Zetterberg are all getting a year older, how long will they keep carrying this team on there back?

Filppula & Hudler ...second line players at best, they just don't have that elite level to help this team win another cup.

Bertuzzi is @ 37 ... we're just going to see decrease in his game.

Cleary should not be resigned and be replaced by Miller when his contract runs out.

Helm Abdelkader Emmerton ... will never be that top 2 line players but they are excellent in that role and thank god they are young.

Nyquist looks talented, hope Tatar makes the team next year as well.

Worried on defense tho ... Stuart is good as gone this year. Looks like this will be Lidstrom's last year. His injuries are taking longer to recover and his scoring touch has declined this year. Age has caught up with our captain which is really sad.

I have no idea what's going to happen on defense after this year ... really scares me seeing this team going into next season with:

Kronwall Ericsson

Quincey White

Kindl Smith

* Added after edit:

Every other team in the playoffs this year is young and very hungry and I just don't see use competing at there level.

We are missing an elite sniper that could find the back of the net & we will be missing an elite defense after this year.

All tho, a lot of people will hate what I'm going to say ... but it's not the first time that I've said this on LGW and it will not be the last time either but ...

This team will never win a Stanley cup with Jimmy Howard! ... Would love to see him win tho don't get me wrong I love the kid but I just don't see it happening.

Seriously? Did you watch more than 1 or 2 games this season? Your "ratings" are a complete joke.

Maybe age is not a factor. Maybe we should get the tallest players available so that they cannot be injured by headshots and taken out of the game. These playoffs are a death race. Whoever has the most players left at the end wins the Stanley Cup.

Also look at how many teams in the West are better now compared to the last 4-5 years. The core players may still be good, but watching them in this series using everything in their arsenal and still hardly getting anything past Rinne, along with the Preds adjusting to playoff game conditions better than the Wings changes are certainly needed this offseason. I really don't see lightning striking again with 3 straight wins this time.

OP: Is "decent" somehow better than "good"?

As far as the age, there is no denying that even the younger Wings are starting to get a bit long in the tooth. I don't think that is a bad thing YET. If management continues to let the roster stagnate with the older/ineffective support players, they'll find themselves with Datsyuk and Zetterberg is decline wishing they had capitalized when they had the chance. The Euro Twins best years are going to be drawing to a close eventually, and I for one think the biggest crime is not providing them and Lidstrom with the proper support over the past 3 seasons to utilize their tremendous play and compete-level. Not only is it a missed opportunity, but the injuries are mounting and play is declining because they are called upon to shoulder the vast majority of both the offense and defense.

Age isn't a factor, complacency has set in and some players are just not willing to commit to win anymore. Most of these guys have won a Cup and have gone to multiple Stanley Cup Finals. Change needs to be constant in pro sports, you can't get comfortable with the same guys, patch a few holes and expect to win. Ken Holland will be tested in this offseason like never before, especially if Nick retires. Its time to rebuild this team, inject some youth and trade away an asset while you still can for whatever value they have left.

Disagree with op.

Every year you hope that you are 1) Healthy goihng into the playoffs and 2) it would be nice to be hot.

This year we were neither. We peaked at the wrong time of year and then got the injuries. It's not an excuse, it's just a reality check.

Lidstroms mobility is hamperred. Same with Datsyuk. (If Dats were in this year's mid season form, who knows what this series would look like).