• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

these teams are exceeding beyond expectations ...

Rate this topic

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

i was gonna post this in another thread but i decided to make a new one :)

being an NHL Fan in general i am filled with excitement and joy right now. these playoffs have been nothing short of spectacular. every single playoff match is exciting and fun to watch. but mainly due to seeing certain teams playing well and really giving their fans something to cheer aboot. (ottawa, florida, phoenix, la, nashville). it would be good for the NHL if these teams made it beyond the 2nd round. why? cause it would bring spark to their franchises, and who knows maybe draw more fans. i say this because my Grandmother never watched hockey before 1998. never saw a game in her life. not living too far from DC she started watching the caps and the cup run they had. and even though they came up short against you know who.. ;) , she still is a fan to this day.

and i know theres the whole ratings issue with tv. well in my opinion screw ratings. i think seeing these teams compete on national television would interest people and then they would say " wow i didnt know this team would get this far" or " jesus murphy this team is really good". this is why i love the NHL Playoffs. it gives teams you didnt think would make it past the first round the chance to shine, and bring out the best in them.

so my questions for you are : which of these 5 teams do you think can make a strong playoff run? and would you watch a Florida vs Phoenix or Ottawa vs Nashville Stanley Cup Final? :)

i know i will be. not just because i love the NHL, but also just because i can and you cant stop me :)

thank you for your time.

Edited by ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

Well, it couldn't hurt those markets. I'm not sure if it'll help all that much, though. A lot of crappy teams have had playoff runs and went right back to disappearing. Florida, for instance, won't benefit much even if they won the Cup, and in fact would hurt the league because it would only delay their inevitable relocation to a more profitable place.

I'm disappointed. It seems like these playoffs have been great, but I've only gotten to watch the Wings/Nashville series which has been a bit of a snorefest for the most part.

I had Nashville making the finals as soon as they drew us. I am sticking with it. I just feel they have an absurd d, and Radulov should provide enough offense for them to get to the finals.

I love the playoffs except our series.

It was fixed from the get go and Shanny proved that to me. We also are the only team that doesn't race to pucks.

I would love a Florida Phx final. It isn't going to happen mind you.

I understand what you're trying to say, but we had a season like that. It was 2006. The top 4 teams in the West got bounced in the first round and the Finals ended up being Carolina and Edmonton. As a hockey fan, I watched, of course, but to the casual hockey fan outside those markets, who cares? No stars. No history. No controversy. Nothing. Florida vs Phoenix would be a disaster. Hockey fans in those cities barely care about the team, why should anyone else? Maybe having their teams make it that far sparks their fan base. Then again, maybe not. Anaheim, Carolina, and NJ are near the bottom of the league in attendance this past year and all won the Stanley Cup in the past 10 years.

I understand what you're trying to say, but we had a season like that. It was 2006. The top 4 teams in the West got bounced in the first round and the Finals ended up being Carolina and Edmonton. As a hockey fan, I watched, of course, but to the casual hockey fan outside those markets, who cares? No stars. No history. No controversy. Nothing. Florida vs Phoenix would be a disaster. Hockey fans in those cities barely care about the team, why should anyone else? Maybe having their teams make it that far sparks their fan base. Then again, maybe not. Anaheim, Carolina, and NJ are near the bottom of the league in attendance this past year and all won the Stanley Cup in the past 10 years.

Edmonton definitely has history with gretzky etc., and eric staal scored 100 pts for carolina that year i think, but no one cared about that final either way. Personally, i hate it when a bottom seeded team makes it to the finals because if they got there it was usually because of a hot goalie or a team defense (trap). I also don't care about building markets of non traditional teams. Markets with more real fans who've followed their teams for years deserve a championship team more imho.

Edited by LidstromIsASuperhero

I think the NHL would be much better off if Detroit and Chicago reached the deeper rounds of the playoffs.

There's many marketable teams in the east, but none out west besides those two. These Pacific Division teams are not good for the league's ratings in any way. Neither are Nashville or St. Louis for that matter.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Agreed. The best scenario for the league is some combination of a Wings/Chicago....maybe LA Conference final.

The best scenario for the Finals would have to include Detroit or Chicago in the West and the Rangers or Boston in the East. I'm still dreaming for that Original 6 final.

Guest Crymson

I had Nashville making the finals as soon as they drew us. I am sticking with it. I just feel they have an absurd d, and Radulov should provide enough offense for them to get to the finals.

Radulov has done nothing.