• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Din758

Hometown discount for Nick next year?

Rate this topic

Good discussion about to start on the ticket about what Nick should be paid next year. Valenti and Foster both seem to agree between 2-3mil is a good enough discount and if he wants more they'd let him walk.

Key arguments they bring up is noting that they can go out and get 2 elite players with that cap room, and also that stevey got paid 1.2mil his final season.

Thoughts?

The Detroit Red Wings aren't ever going to let Nick walk. :lol:

I really hope Nick comes back and is able to regain his early-season form. He's earned the right to keep his salary if he wants to play another season. But, I think he definitely has to understand that a sizeable paycut would really help the team out--and give him the best chance for a Cup.

I really hope Nick comes back and is able to regain his early-season form. He's earned the right to keep his salary if he wants to play another season. But, I think he definitely has to understand that a sizeable paycut would really help the team out--and give him the best chance for a another Cup.

I agree 100%. I did fix one little thing ^^^ for ya. :lol:

Edited by MidMichSteve

It would be nice to see him do that for Detroit. He has made some really good money here, well worth the money for sure. But why not give it 1 more year at a reduced rate to help bring in the players we need to get him a 5th Ring on that finger. Then the following year move him to a coaching position working only with current and future D-Men for the Wings.

Before he got hurt he was looking 95% as good as the guy that won the Norris last year - hes earned whatever money he wants. Superficially id convince him to take a "hometown discount" of say 1.5-3 million and just agree to pay him the remaineder of what would be paid regularly for some half-assed job when he retired. Defenseman consultant, scout, etc - and give him his 2012/13 money while he makes a few appearances and stays with his wife in some 5 star hotel rooms to watch a bit of hockey. The cap doesn't take into consideration team staff, so thats what I would do to improve our ability to really throw some money around to reinforce this team with a few keys peices to push us over the top.

Is he not killing penalties right now because of his injury or because of his age/speed? Becuase, if he's utilized less and less, he has to take a major discount to come back. The last thing the Wings want to do is pull a Pistons and hold onto players too long.

I love Lidstrom, I am so happy we got to watch him for 20 years, but it's a business and you are a commodity. And when you get used up, we move on. It's cold and harsh, but it's a fact in sports. I wouldn't mind him coming back, but he can't be a reason that we can't make the cap because we want to go and get an elite young, fast and talented player. That would hinder the progress of this team. I think with every year, he'll slow down rapidly, so it's tough to keep him for 5-7 mil in my view.

At some point we will have to cut the cord.

I really hope Nick comes back and is able to regain his early-season form. He's earned the right to keep his salary if he wants to play another season. But, I think he definitely has to understand that a sizeable paycut would really help the team out--and give him the best chance for a Cup.

I am sure he meant retire in that sense, but I agree. If Lidstrom even sniffs more than $2M, then he needs to retire. This team needs a huge overhaul and getting rid of his salary is a great place to start. IMO, he needs to retire, but what will happen is, he will tell everyone he is waiting to see how his ankle heals, then he will handcuff Holland all summer (not that I expect Holland to do whats right for this team anyhow) and the top guys will all be gone...Then Lids will decide late August that he is retiring...Ok, ok, I joke about that one, but he needs to decide before July 1st, preferably by the draft so Holland can start formulating a plan...

"Let him walk" ??? Never!

Sure a pay cut would be nice, but my guess is somewhere a lot closer to 4-5m.

Too much...if they re-sign him for that much, this team is screwed next year. If they want Suter and Parise, they need to be able to offer $14M-$16M between the two of them. Getting only one of them is not enough. Like I said, with the way he is playing and the lack of healing, he needs to seriously think about retiring...

edit: You people that don't agree with this are stupid. He is obviously struggling because of injury, if he cannot fully recover he needs to hang em up. If you dont agree with that then you are dumber than I thought. Of course since you just neg and don't say why we'll never know what your thoughts are. They are probably just this anyhow "Wah Wah, don't say Nicky will retire..he is God!"

Edited by LeftWinger

Hey LeftWinger,

When I keep hearing the name Suter, is that Suter from the Preds? Or another one? I know there are many in NHL history, and I don't know every team, and I'm too lazy to look it up ;).

Wouldn't that be a bite if we went out and bought Suter and Weber from the Preds, and also got Perese?

Hey LeftWinger,

When I keep hearing the name Suter, is that Suter from the Preds? Or another one? I know there are many in NHL history, and I don't know every team, and I'm too lazy to look it up ;).

Wouldn't that be a bite if we went out and bought Suter and Weber from the Preds, and also got Perese?

Yes, that is Ryan Suter, but there was only one other to play, his uncle Gary Suter. You are think of the SuTTer's, and there was/is about 5,000 players from that family it seems...

Ya, it would be a bite to nab Suter, it's happened before, 2003 Anaheim eliminates the Red Wings in first round, July 1st Ducks sign Sergei Fedorov. 2007, Ducks eliminate the Wings in the 3rd round, come July, Ducks sign BOTH Todd Bertuzzi and Mathieu Schneider out from under us...not that it matter in the next year anyhow.

Weber and Suter will never sign here if they beat us this series and ill take a sig bet for life if im proven otherwise. Poile will match whatever we offer them (unless that cap gets blown up in the CBA somehow then Illitich can start writing real cheques again) and they would look like assholes in front of the entire league if they jumped to the nearest divisional rival (whom theyve just beaten in the first round). We lose this series - we lose the big brother card temporarily and thats really the only card we have to play.

Weber and Suter will never sign here if they beat us this series and ill take a sig bet for life if im proven otherwise. Poile will match whatever we offer them (unless that cap gets blown up in the CBA somehow then Illitich can start writing real cheques again) and they would look like assholes in front of the entire league if they jumped to the nearest divisional rival (whom theyve just beaten in the first round). We lose this series - we lose the big brother card temporarily and thats really the only card we have to play.

I tend to agree, but for wishes I don't even want Weber, but would love Suter...

A lot of Preds fans wouldn't really mind losing Suter. They bitched so much about him after Datsyuk got that quick one on him

No need to say how much I love and respect Nick. However I love my Wings more than any single player at any given time. I personally think Lids should retire. You can see fatigue in his eyes and his face. He gets beaten very often and makes uncharacteristic mistakes. The team has lock of passion and won't compete.. Lids unable to do anything about that as a captain. I hope he stays in the organization as a D coach or consultant, but this team needs to move forward. Whatever division would be, I hope it would be for the benefit of the team.

Go Wings !

Edited by arag

why would Lidstrom take a discount this off season when everyone expected him to last off season and he didnt? You cant say because this might be his last season, he thought it couldve been last year also...my guess is that he wants around 5.5 million.

Someone mentioned 4 - 5 million if he comes back for something like that he is already giving this team a huge paycut. From my point of view I'm worried with something called an internal budget or is there any reasonable reason why Holland didn't spend the 5 million in capspace?

Mr I don't believe in no internal budget. Kenny just waited too long and couldn't find a deal that appealed to him at the deadline.

It's not that Holland will offer him $2M, that would be asinine. BUT Lidstrom needs to tell Holland one of two things by draft day. Either "I'm hanging them up" or "Kenny, I will play one more year for $2M, get some players here who desire to win!"

If Lidstrom re-signs for $5.5M or more? Forget EVER making this team better. Suter will go elsewhere, Parise will go elsewhere, nobody that will make a serious impact on this team will sign here for pennies, just because it the Red Wings. IF that happens, Holland may as well just re-sign Hudler too. And not sign anybody else, then keep all the cap space for the deadline....then...broken record.

Lidstrom....Please, for the sake of this team becoming the Dead Wings again, retire or $2M. If Yzerman will take $1.5M for one last shot, then take a page from "THE" Captain...