• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jroc86

Luongo gone from Vancouver this summer ...

Rate this topic

As everyone in BC already knows - it would appear the Roberto Luongo has started his last game as a Vancouver Canuck.

We know Detroit has been a place where goalies have gone mid/late in their careers and had success (Vernon, Osgood, Hasek) ... given the praise that Babcock has heaped on Lou for years does anyone think theres a snowballs chance in hell that he ends up here if Gillis indeed looks to flog Luongos contract. 5.3/year wouldnt be THAT bad if he stays healthy and is in a hockey market that doesnt totally put goalies through the woodchipper. Hes been getting pig-roasted in Vancouver for a few years now and it looks like hes in 95/96 Patrick Roy territory.

I know, Jimmys our boy and I sure like him more than Lou - but with his contract expiring next year and his ups and downs (injuries aside) I cant help think his window to for upside cant be for too much longer and he could be on a shorter leash than many of us would like to admit..

Swap Franzen for Luongo?

I'd rather keep Jimmy though. He will be in a contract year next season so he will probably play even better. Either way, I don't think Vancouver would trade Luongo to a Western Conference rival. If he does get traded, it will be to the East.

Edit: Also, Luongo's contract runs for another 7 or 8 years. That seems just as bad as Franzen's. Just imagine a 40 year old Luongo getting paid $5+ mil per season to ride the pine at the Joe.

Edited by atodaso

I would rather go the Nabokov or Vokoun route to push Jimmy into being a better goalie rather than tie up nearly $8M in two goalies for a season, then most likely losing Howard when his deal is up. Now if Luongo came in a won us a Cup next year, sure the gamble would be worth it, but I think the $5.25M would be better used in finding the help we really need...Jimmy is fine when 100%. Get him a better team to play in front of him and a goalie to push him for his job, now we are back in business...

I'd take Howard over Luongo any day. Luongo is a Diva, and please, just take a look at his record in closeout playoff games.

Luongo is in the 2nd year of a 12 year deal, so at 33 years old he still has 10 years left.

And actually, if Scheider gets lit up any time during these playoffs, then nothing has been decided. As of this moment, yes, the optics of the decision to go with Schneider indicates Luongo needs to put together a list of teams he'd consider waving his NTC for.

His family is still tied to Florida, he could easily go back there, or Stevie Y apparently likes him too, but would prefer a cheaper, younger goalie.

The fans want Rick Nash for him, but there is no way he is putting CBJ on his list of teams.

Rumors abound already that Semin may end up in vancouver with Luo going to Washington.

Who would have thought that, at this moment in time, they'd be better off with Bertuzzi and his cap hit than Luongo and his cap hit. bert @ $1.75(ish) means they could get a true number one defensemen (Vancouver really wants to bring Weber home to British Columbia).

Swap Franzen for Luongo?

I'd rather keep Jimmy though. He will be in a contract year next season so he will probably play even better. Either way, I don't think Vancouver would trade Luongo to a Western Conference rival. If he does get traded, it will be to the East.

That's all we need; a crumbling sive of ego, while we unite Franzen with the Sedins. :scared: Are you out of your mind?

Edited by T.Low

Guest irishock

I don't think we've seen the last of Luongo as a Canuck. He'll probably start game 5 at home. If anything, they're better off with 1A/1B in case either gets hurt.

That's all we need; a crumbling sive of ego, while we unite Franzen with the Sedins. :scared: Are you out of your mind?

Right, like all Franzen needs is to be surrounded by talent and then he will magically turn into a great player again. He already plays with Dats and this whole season he has been awful. The deal wouldn't happen because Vancouver would never trade an all-star goalie to a powerhouse rival not because we would be afraid of Franzen.

Now there is a VERY interesting situation....I know I thought about Franzen to Dallas so he could play with Eriksson and bring us Morrow...but I think if Vancouver felt that Franzen could be a missing piece to their puzzle, if they fail to get out of the first round, they will be looking to make a crucial change....so I ask you, would you take Alexandre Burrows for Franzen? I think I would...Interesting....VERY interesting....

edit: Negg? Really? Burrows AND Morrow WAY better than Franzen...make that trade ALL DAY!

Edited by LeftWinger

In a town where everybody piles on the goalie no matter how good they are, and you want to bring Luongo, a PROVEN HEADCASE to this town? That's funny. You cannot win with Luongo. Last year's vancouver team was STACKED and Luongo cost them, almost single handedly cost them their chicago series. No way. He's not a proven goalie, and I can't see any team willing to pay more than 5 mil for him...

We have our number 1 goalie, who doesn't appear to be a headcase thus far.

Now there is a VERY interesting situation....I know I thought about Franzen to Dallas so he could play with Eriksson and bring us Morrow...but I think if Vancouver felt that Franzen could be a missing piece to their puzzle, if they fail to get out of the first round, they will be looking to make a crucial change....so I ask you, would you take Alexandre Burrows for Franzen? I think I would...Interesting....VERY interesting....

Nobody is gonna be willing to take Franzen's million year contract. Pipe dream...

Nobody is gonna be willing to take Franzen's million year contract. Pipe dream...

I agree with you....but I would definitely take Burrows over Franzen...and if Van gets eliminated, they may look for something like this to go with a bit of chemistry...they would for sure be looking for a missing piece from somewhere...I am sure they'd rather snagged Zetterberg for the Sedins, but who wouldn't?

Right, like all Franzen needs is to be surrounded by talent and then he will magically turn into a great player again. He already plays with Dats and this whole season he has been awful. The deal wouldn't happen because Vancouver would never trade an all-star goalie to a powerhouse rival not because we would be afraid of Franzen.

they play a much more offensive game than Datyuk and Bertuzzi, or Filpulla and Zetterberg. Look at their point totals and the points of who ever is lucky enough to play with them. Even Sammy had more goals than Datsyuk the year he played with on and off with the Sedins. So did Anson Carter. So did Alex Burroughs, yadda yadda yadda.

Franzen being able to float around while the Sedins mesmerized everyone would be a perfect recipe for a 35-40 goal season.

they play a much more offensive game than Datyuk and Bertuzzi, or Filpulla and Zetterberg. Look at their point totals and the points of who ever is lucky enough to play with them. Even Sammy had more goals than Datsyuk the year he played with on and off with the Sedins. So did Anson Carter. So did Alex Burroughs, yadda yadda yadda.

Franzen being able to float around while the Sedins mesmerized everyone would be a perfect recipe for a 35-40 goal season.

Yea, you're probably right about that. I don't think Holland would trade a star player to a rival anyways. Trading Franzen (if it happens) to the East is most likely.

It's not interesting to Mike Gillis: Burroughs is his kind of player and there is no reason to trade him.

It's not interesting to Mike Gillis: Burroughs is his kind of player and there is no reason to trade him.

Well its obvious, "HIS" kind of players aren't getting it done, yet again...I am just saying, the prospect of the chemistry between the Sedins and Franzen may be attractive to him. And Franzen wouldn't come for free...it won't happen, but I would love it!

Guest Crymson

Hell no. Luongo is horribly inconsistent and prone to mental breakdowns, and he has one of the worst goalie contracts in the league. And if he's better than Jimmy, it's not by much. Jimmy may have given up a couple of bad goals last game, but otherwise he's been excellent for the rest of the series, and he arguably kept the Red Wings afloat during the first 40% of the season.

How short people's memories become when things are not going well.

1334880399[/url]' post='2292908']. I can say pretty confidently that if/when he's moved he goes to New Jersey.

Interesting place to land makes Sense too I have heard Tampa which also makes sense they need a goalie and his wife would be happy going back to Florida.

If I was Luongo, I'd request a trade and let Schneider have to deal with the Vancouver fans and media. He gets no goal support in the playoffs, but everyone blames the loses on him. It's not his fault his team can't score goals in big games.

No worries, he's not coming to Detroit. We've NEVER paid that much for a goalie and I can't see that ever happening. That and Jimmy > Roberto.

Uh....:blink: You are talking POST lockout right? Because I give you two names....Hasek & Joseph...

edit: Just for giggles, Hasek made $8M in 01-02 then again in 03-04 for Detroit, a year AFTER CuJo signed for $8M for the 02-03 and 03-04 season. So for the year 2003-2004 Detroit's goalie payroll was $9.1M (including Manny's $1.1M) YIKES!

Edited by LeftWinger