• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jroc86

Luongo gone from Vancouver this summer ...

Rate this topic

Guest irishock

Uh....:blink: You are talking POST lockout right? Because I give you two names....Hasek & Joseph...

edit: Just for giggles, Hasek made $8M in 01-02 then again in 03-04 for Detroit, a year AFTER CuJo signed for $8M for the 02-03 and 03-04 season. So for the year 2003-2004 Detroit's goalie payroll was $9.1M (including Manny's $1.1M) YIKES!

That was the no-cap era.

Pretty much what I expected here - most of which I thought myself. 5.3 million dollar cap hit for Lou isnt too bad if he maintains his ability for at least 5 years - then if he becomes injury prone or goes downhill 5.3 would require a buyout (which wouldnt be much cuz his last few years are only a million dollars a pop). And yes, Im fully aware of his post season meltdowns. 8 goals against in game 6 vs Chicago in 09 = gone, 7 goals against vs chicago in 10 = gone, 2 huge beds***tings against Chi last year, then 3 awful performances against Boston to lose the finals. I dont like the guy - never have, and like most of the Canucks fanbase (it seems) Ive always wanted to see him fail based on the team he plays for - the current incarnation of the Canucks has too many people I just cannot cheer for on any level .

Going forward I really hope we can patch up the backup goaltender situation with a respectable tender so Jimmy can be spelled off more and only play 60 or so games.

I think im just going stir crazy before game 5 - lets go get as ******* win Wings and shut all of our useless banter up for a few days! To quote my hero, role model, and guiding light in life Ric Flair - "woooo! woooo! woooooooooooooooo!"

Absolutely not.

The guy crumbles under pressure. At least with Hasek, even though he didn't win, he was carrying weak teams as far as they could possibly go and still almost won on almost sheer force of will. Luongo arguably is the reason why his team hasn't been so successful in the post-season too many times, and has some incredibly embarrassing must-win games to his name where he didn't just lose, he got blown out and benched.

Why in the hell would we want a guy like that on this team?!?!?!?

Edited by gcom007

Ask anyone in Boston what time it is and the reply is "Oh, 19 past Luongo" and that was just the games in Boston.

If Luongo were on LGW, his avatar would be :siren:

Not quite. In the three games in Boston Luongo gave up 15 goals. He gave up a total of 20 goals in the 7 game series. 5 goals against in 4 home games, two shutouts. In the four losses, Vancouver managed to score a total of 3 goals. In the three wins, they scored 5 goals.

Lest we forget, Jimmah was leading the league in wins most of the season and at the front of the line for VEZINA consideration until he injured his finger and his groin.

I could see Luongo returning to Florida. Tampa has effectively no goalies next year with Roloson likely to hang it up or not get resigned, and Garon, who's been a career backup for a reason. Florida has Jose Threeormore, and Clemmensen, who's been a career backup behind Brodeur, not to mention the GM who breaks bank accounts for a living, Dale Tallon. Jersey could take him, but with the ownership situation the way it is and money being tight there, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go cheap for goalies after Brodeur retires. Could always call up the Goalie Hoarder, Garth Snow, see if the Isles want him.

Not quite. In the three games in Boston Luongo gave up 15 goals. He gave up a total of 20 goals in the 7 game series. 5 goals against in 4 home games, two shutouts. In the four losses, Vancouver managed to score a total of 3 goals. In the three wins, they scored 5 goals.

You must drive your husband crazy with all that fact checking when he's trying to spin a good anecdote.

Edited by T.Low

You must drive your husband crazy with all that fact checking when he's trying to spin a good anecdote.

Nothing like facts to get in the way, huh? Like the fact that I'm not a woman. Not sure where you got that one from. Probably the same place you got your Luongo stats.

Don't need Luongo, not real happy with Howard either, but i'd take Howard over Luongo, now if only Ryan Miller was available, lol.

The Miller brothers in one team, sounds like a dream, Miller time all the time.

A goalie relies so much on the team in front of him, a good defensive team can really make a goalie look good by not allowing odd man rushes, and clearing the puck after a rebound. This playoffs is a great example of it. Howard's stats are pretty unfair, he has close to the fewest shots against, but if you look at the odd man chances and defensive lapses the Wing's have had they are giving up the highest amount of quality scoring chances against, that's just not a good predicament for a goalie.

Howard is capable of winning a cup, it's just up to the players in front of him. I'd rather not run into the same "problem" in the playoffs with a 7 million dollar goalie like Luongo, Fleury, and Bryzgalov. If Howard starts letting in more and more bad goals when the wings are actually covering men, and not taking too many risks in the offensive end that result in odd man rushes then my mood will change. But until that happens I feel it's a much higher priority to become a good defensive team first , then deal with the goaltending problem if there would be one.

Unless Luongo starts cranking out Vezina trophies or Stanley Cups, he's going to be in Vancouver for life. Nobody is going to trade for an underachieving goalie making $5.3 mil for the next 10 years. Not to mention, he's 33 right now, would anyone want a 43 year old goalie? He's not spectacular now, imagine 10 years from now. Right now, I don't see him being any better than Howard and Howie's $3 mil less. I like the current Wings formula of going cheap on the goalie and spending money elsewhere.