• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jeff6851

Why wasn't Smith given a chance in the playoffs?

Rate this topic

I don't know if Smith was ineligible for the playoffs but he should have never gone back to GR. Sure, he has no playoff experience but what about next year when he's full time and he goes into the playoffs with no experience?

Not like keeping him here and getting rid of Kindl would have hurt.

I don't know if Smith was ineligible for the playoffs but he should have never gone back to GR. Sure, he has no playoff experience but what about next year when he's full time and he goes into the playoffs with no experience?

Not like keeping him here and getting rid of Kindl would have hurt.

I was expecting him to be on the top 6 full time in the playoffs as well, but of course it wouldn't have turned the tide in the series... We'll see lots of him next year no doubt.

same reason Nyquist wasn't given a fair chance on a good line....he's not old enough to get ice time on the Wings. Fresh young legs are guided by experience and the Wings showed yet again that all the experience in the world won't win puck races and battles if you don't have enough young legs. Can't wait to see Smith up full time on the 2nd or maybe even 1st line and same for Nyquist.

Like he would've made any difference. Kindl didn't play a second in the playoffs so I'm not sure why you're bringing him into this.

So his youth, skating ability, grit, and exceptional offensive instincts would not have helped a team that could hardly score and was outmuscled the entire series?

And don't pull the experience card because Nashville ran two rookies and a guy with only 2 full seasons in the NHL out there and beat us.

And Kindl sucks.

My point was that swapping Smith for Kindl would not have made any difference because Kindl didn't play. Which defenceman would you have taken out to put Smith in? Stuart? Kronwall? Lids? Quincey? White? Ericsson?

But bro! They played together for the last few seconds!

Putting Z and Dats together would have decimated us at center. We were already losing faceoff battles. The problem was quite simply having a random hodge podge of forwards thrown together instead of a carefully assembled forward corps. And Babcock recognizes this and said offense was the big problem, which means that will be the focus in the offseason, which is good.

Like he would've made any difference. Kindl didn't play a second in the playoffs so I'm not sure why you're bringing him into this.

Difference or not we all knew this team was a longshot to win the Cup. Smith would have gotten some valuable experience by playing in this series and there's no way he'd be worse than Stuart or Quincey were

Quincey, Ericsson, or Stuart. They were all bad in this series.

Ericsson was actually not that bad. He was very good on the PK and at times outplayed Q and Stuart 5-on-5.

Stuart is a veteran and while I agree that he was terrible (and I really didn't expect anything better from him), he is still a highly paid, experienced d-man so there is no chance he gets benched.

Holland traded our first round pick for Quincey. And as much as some people here rag on him, he's still a better option than Smith right now. To me the problem was with our stale offence. Smith will hopefully get his chance next season. Stuart will be gone for sure.

Difference or not we all knew this team was a longshot to win the Cup. Smith would have gotten some valuable experience by playing in this series and there's no way he'd be worse than Stuart or Quincey were

Come on guys, get real. No team in the league would've benched any of our top 6 d-men in favour of a rookie d-man. It doesn't matter how much potential he has. This was about winning now. And our best chance was with the guys we had. Unfortunately, it wasn't good enough.

Because class matters to the Wings, unfortunately. Stuart is leaving, it's all but guaranteed and he's been awful all series, it really couldn't have hurt. But whatever, Smith will be a full timer next year :thumbup:

f*** stuart, he's played like he checked out a few months ago

Ericsson was actually not that bad. He was very good on the PK and at times outplayed Q and Stuart 5-on-5.

Stuart is a veteran and while I agree that he was terrible (and I really didn't expect anything better from him), he is still a highly paid, experienced d-man so there is no chance he gets benched.

Holland traded our first round pick for Quincey. And as much as some people here rag on him, he's still a better option than Smith right now. To me the problem was with our stale offence. Smith will hopefully get his chance next season. Stuart will be gone for sure.

I try to like Ericsson, I really do, but until he starts to mash people into the boards and clear the crease he will always be on my s*** list. No excuse for a guy that size to be so soft. Aki Berg 2.0

Stuart is gone, who gives a damn if he gets benched and gets his feelings hurt. He was a good warrior for us but his best days have passed.

I like Q, but he needs to play with a defensive D guy who can cover up for his bad pinches and turnovers.

Oh well, Smith should be full time in the top 4 next year...

Quincey, Ericsson, or Stuart. They were all bad in this series.

I would have said Stuart, Kronwall and sometimes Quincey. Quincey at least had a few agmes of playing decent, I thought Ericsson has looked a lot better since coming back from injury. However Kronwall was bad and Stuart was just ******* pathetic. White was average if being generious.

I think babcock really was WAY to slow in line juggling and sending messages, he should have sat that useless f*** Mule, and Bert/Abby played good when together same as Dats/Nyquist, yet he waits until 5 min left in the final game, WTF is that?

Come on guys, get real. No team in the league would've benched any of our top 6 d-men in favour of a rookie d-man. It doesn't matter how much potential he has. This was about winning now. And our best chance was with the guys we had. Unfortunately, it wasn't good enough.

Wasn't Chris Stewart benched by Hitchcock, granted not Dman, but still a message was sent