• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Icesurfer

Icesurfer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

At least it was nice to set a record but it was all downhill once it ended.
Defense and goaltending win championships!!!

#2 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

Oh, you mean the record that completely overstated just how good this team was and gave the fans a false picture of how well they'd do for the rest of the season?

f*** the record. I'd rather still be playing hockey right now.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#3 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

In heaven, everything is fine.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

The first team eliminated this year. Embarrassing.

#4 Icesurfer

Icesurfer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

Well, I guess I was wrong. I said Wings would win 2 games in this series and they won only one. I'm sorry I will try to be more accurate next time.

They went down with a whimper.

No level of experience or skill can top great goaltending, excellent defense and speed, speed, speed in today's NHL. Howard and Detroit's defense have a lot of work to do before next year starts.
Defense and goaltending win championships!!!

#5 Jeff6851

Jeff6851

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

That's ok, a lot of other teams will begin next year hoping they can make it back. We'll be hoping we actually do something when we make it back
Detroit fan living in St. Louis
"To whom much is given, much is expected."
"Play them six times, they might win four, but not this game. Not tonight."
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

#6 luvpucks

luvpucks

Jr. Prospect

• 25 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

Dear LGW,

You guys are some whiney *******. Ban me for this I don't give a s*** I hardly post on here anyway but give me af****** break. Detroit set 2 records this year that no other team has been able to do for decades. Home wins and consecutive playoffs. There is a Stanley cup champion every year.

So the f*** what if they didn't win this year. New season starts in 5 and half months. Some "fans" some of you guys are. Thank you Wings for an entertaining year. Better luck next year.

Sincerely,
A fan always proud of his team, win or lose.

#7 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

Post that to Hollands office door. Who cares about a regular season record or just making the playoffs? are we the Detroit Lions?

#8 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

Oh, you mean the record that completely overstated just how good this team was and gave the fans a false picture of how well they'd do for the rest of the season?

Nice.

Although I guess in hindsight we did witness some major signs; the road record and very mediocre-ranking special teams as the big ones. Also their annoying habit of games that need extra time wasn't good.

#9 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

It was a nice record and something positive. I am not so mad about the outcome of the series more about the way the potential last game for our captain ended.

Edited by frankgrimes, 20 April 2012 - 09:57 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#10 dats13owns

dats13owns

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:59 PM

Dear LGW,

You guys are some whiney *******. Ban me for this I don't give a s*** I hardly post on here anyway but give me af****** break. Detroit set 2 records this year that no other team has been able to do for decades. Home wins and consecutive playoffs. There is a Stanley cup champion every year.

So the f*** what if they didn't win this year. New season starts in 5 and half months. Some "fans" some of you guys are. Thank you Wings for an entertaining year. Better luck next year.

Sincerely,

Frrrrtttt.

#11 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

Dear LGW,

Sincerely,

If I wasn't a fan, I wouldn't be pissed off. If you're not even remotely annoyed by this crap or thought this season was even close to entertaining, you must have just snorted a rail of elephant tranquilizers.

Edited by Electrophile, 20 April 2012 - 10:07 PM.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#12 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,725 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

Dear LGW,

Sincerely,

Holland is that you?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#13 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

Holland is that you?

:lol:
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#14 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

THis series was a disappointment. But the one good thing is that it exposed the inherent weakness at forward.

But really, this is the first year in over 15 years that the Wings didn't feel mighty. No teams talked about how great the Wings were, there was very little talk all season about how they are a dangerous team. The last two seasons were disappointments but playoff failures were due to injuries or bad reffing. This one the Wings just plain lost.

But it feels a bit like 2001 here. Holland and Babcock will make the right moves and reload. That's what the Wings do.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#15 King Crane

King Crane

3rd Line Checker

• Silver Booster
  • 387 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:05 AM

Can't + this enough. It is a depressing observation, but entirely true. In Babcock's interview he even said he was surprised the team had done so well and disbelieves they were ever truly #1 in the conference and feels they struggled to make the playoffs

"I'll smile in June" - Jimmy Howard 

#16 sureWhyNot

sureWhyNot

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:40 AM

Dear LGW,

Sincerely,

Do you realize you sound just as bad as the people you are criticizing?

Everyone on here is a fan - I know some here feel superior to say otherwise when any type of critique is made, but they are.

How about this:

"I am a bigger fan then you because I am super upset we were the first team eliminated this year.

So how about you and your seemingly impervious reaction to the success or the lack there of team that I am a huge fan of can be quiet."

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings."

- Steve Yzerman

#17 3secondsleft

3secondsleft

Draftee

• 13 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:04 AM

Don't bash the best GM in professional sports. He has done nothing but bring good things to this team. A dismal season like this doesn't mean he has done anything wrong.
"Ahead to Fedorov, shot scores!"
"Time expires and the Red Wings have won the Stanley Cup!"

#18 King Crane

King Crane

3rd Line Checker

• Silver Booster
  • 387 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:04 AM

Dear LGW,

Sincerely,

I am SUPER proud of the Red Wings. I will always root for them in good times and bad. But it's OK to be sad or frustrated after a loss. Playing theory-hockey is a way of coping with the loss, so please do not judge LGW so harshly right away. Yes, they had a home streak record. Yes, it is always better to have gone to the post season and lost, then to never gone at all. But forgive me for crying. It was a a hard loss for a few reasons:
-Nashville fans don't support their team like we do
-The outplayed the preds the first four games, but did not seem to show up in game 5
-They didn't leave Detroit with a win. The last four game they played were all losses in the Joe.
-Lastly, and the reason I broke down:
This was potentially the last game of Nick "The Perfect Human" Lidstrom's career.

Reserve judgement for a few days. Allow everyone to cool off and regain focus and appreciate the GREAT season the Wings had this year.

"I'll smile in June" - Jimmy Howard 

#19 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:58 AM

I remember the home streak - that was when we had a fit and healthy team wasn't it? When our star forward, all-universe defenceman and starting goalie were in form and not coming back from/playing with injuries?
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#20 Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

First Line Center

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:20 AM

Dear LGW,

Sincerely,

We only set one NHL record, for the playoff appearances we only set a Franchise record. The NHL record in 29, and would be 46 if Montreal had made the playoffs in the 1969-1970 season.

Posted Image