• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Will #5 be back?

Rate this topic

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No. Body language says a lot. He looked defeated, just like Yzerman did in '06. It wasn't the "we just lost and I'm upset" look, either.

It wasn't just tonight either, he's seemed "off" all series. I posted it in the GDT at the time, but in Game 3, when we went 3-1 down, there was a shot of him on the bench and I was shocked - the look on his face was......defeat.....despair....when for 20 years all we've seen is the same calm, proffessional demeanour, whether we're up 5-0 or down 5-0. That was the moment when I thought "he's retiring"

Honestly, I'd like to see him retire. I have fantastic memories of Lidstrom's career and I want to remember him near his best rather than watch him slowly turn human

Great shout, this is the way I'm starting to feel. Stevie Y was a 3rd line bit-player by the end, Chelios slowly slid all the way down the depth chart from "Norris Candidate" to "Healthy Scratch". I don't want to see that with Nick.

i just have a feeling he won't.

he's got injury problems that he's never really had to deal with before.

i think he believes that this team is not a true contender, and will take a couple to a few years to get that kind of chemistry going again.

detroit was just ranked the least popular city in america, so you have to think whoever did the ranking knows lidstrom is on the outs. ( :P )

i think all this talk babs is doing about him coming back is just head games, and lidstrom is too smart for that. people like to mention the winter classic, but he's done one and maybe he'd like to sit with his family and watch one for a change.

No. Body language says a lot. He looked defeated, just like Yzerman did in '06. It wasn't the "we just lost and I'm upset" look, either. We f***ed him over just like we f***ed over Steve.

I suppose 21 straight playoff appearances and four stanley cups in the last 15 years is a hell of a way to be "f***ed over". Heck, I would love to be "f***ed over" like that.

I'm hoping he shows up to a presser and says "I have good news and bad news. Good news is I'm coming back next year. Bad news is this will be my last year."

That way we know when he leaves and can give him a proper finale at the Joe and whatnot.

I suppose 21 straight playoff appearances and four stanley cups in the last 15 years is a hell of a way to be "f***ed over". Heck, I would love to be "f***ed over" like that.

That's nice. We all know what the Red Wings have accomplished and despite the judgment, almost all of us fans appreciate it. That being said, the Red Wings haven't advanced beyond the second round in three seasons. That isn't good enough - the players said it, Mike Babcock said it and you presume Kenny Holland will too. I get winning a cup isn't feasible every season, but I do expect more than one single postseason victory.

I think emotions get the better of people after a tough loss and it might be overstated that Nick was screwed by the organization. However, I do think Ken Holland messed up by not being more active in what he knew were Lidstrom's final years. Realistically, why should Nick come back right now? This team isn't a cup contender and unless Holland can convince Nick this summer will bring major changes, I see him walking away. He isn't going to put himself through the physical demands to play in the first round again.

Not that Liddy isn' a fantastic player, I personally am at a point where I hope he does retire. We all know that eventually he will retire, I'd rather see him just go now that way we can start looking at bringing in a younger D-man. Smith I'm sure will be up next season but he won't be able to fill Lidstrom's skates and we'll need a big name UFA to do that, it looks like there are going to be a few good choices out there this season it would be nice to be able to pursue them and not do the same thing we did this year in signing a player like Commodore only to trade him later in the season. The Wings NEED some type of shake up or something to spark them and get that hunger and fire back in them to win the Cup again SOON. Maybe if Liddy retires we can start to do that with a solid D-Man.

Since he's a cybernetic super-human sent from the future to win the wings multiple cups, I think he's coming back. As far as I'm concerned I don't care if he's 800 years old. He's the best defenseman I've ever seen play the game and he can come back if he wants to. I understand those who want him to take a pay cut, but I still have blind allegiance thanks to all the great games he's played wearing the winged wheel and because he's played his entire career in detroit. Lifetime free pass to Nicklas Lidstrom.

He'll be back.

Someone suggested the longer off season (by Red Wings standards) will do him some good. Give ample to reflect and recharge and come back for another run. He will obvious have to be resigned at a "discount" but I think that is something he would be willing to do so the club can retool. Call it the "Home town discount"

Guest irishock

I'm hoping he shows up to a presser and says "I have good news and bad news. Good news is I'm coming back next year. Bad news is this will be my last year."

That way we know when he leaves and can give him a proper finale at the Joe and whatnot.

I don't think Nick will go the Brett Favre route, lol. What if he has a sensational season without any injuries?

That's nice. We all know what the Red Wings have accomplished and despite the judgment, almost all of us fans appreciate it. That being said, the Red Wings haven't advanced beyond the second round in three seasons. That isn't good enough - the players said it, Mike Babcock said it and you presume Kenny Holland will too. I get winning a cup isn't feasible every season, but I do expect more than one single postseason victory.

My reply was to the person who said that Nick was "f***ed over" by the Wings. When it comes to a professional organization, the Wings are in a class of their own. No one has the grounds to make a claim like that.

My mouse hovered over each choice and went back and forth. I finally settled on yes.

He has every reason not to come back, and every reason to come back. I'm hoping that he gives it one more season with Smith up to learn from him.

Whether he stays or goes, I'll understand his decision, but I hope he comes back. No one that great should leave his home ice for the last time amidst a chorus of boos.

Guest mjtm77

Yzerman took 1.2 his last year...just sayin'. The long time serving member of the team should also care about where the team is headed after he hangs em' up and if he wants to go out on top, he needs to take a severe discount and make it so Holland can sign some actual talent ala Parise, not resign that slow piece of s*** Hudler.

Lidstrom is still a top 5 defensman, Yzerman was done

Guest irishock

Lidstrom is still a top 5 defensman, Yzerman was done

True. Yzerman's only true value during his last years here was his presence in the locker room. Lidstrom is the cornerstone of this franchise that does everything right.

That, or his stick secretly doubles as a bong.

Lol, the game was on 4/20. :D

As far as the poll it's a tossup. Regardless of what ANYONE says, Nicknhas more than earned the right to go out on his own terms. I voted no, though I would desperately love to see him back. As others have said, if the team can rebound, that may be incentive to help lure him back. Signing big name free agents will also help, but ultimately none of us can read his mind. I fully believe that his drop-off in play is due to the injury he suffered and not being 100% yet. Regardless of his decision, I'm glad to be a Wings fan and to have had the opportunity to watch a player of his skill, integrity, and class. Nick Lidstrom is the epitome of what a hockey player should be. Thanks for 20 great seasons Nick, may we have another?

Edited by TheXym

Wow got to get up pretty early to fool you... lol :lol:

Comes from being an RA during my undergrad days. They did a whole training session about various recreational substances with the campus police. :)