• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jeff6851

Have we seen the last of Holmstrom?

Rate this topic

148 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Anyone see when Keating interviewed Holmstrom after the loss last night? Keating pushed the question about his future, Holmstrom was visibly upset and said "are you kidding me?". Really sucks that the guy still competes and still wants to play but doesn't have the tools physically anymore. Swap his body with Franzen's.

Poor Holmer... thanks for the memories :(

Edited by b.shanafan14

Anyone see when Keating interviewed Holmstrom after the loss last night? Keating pushed the question about his future, Holmstrom was visibly upset and said "are you kidding me?". Really sucks that the guy still competes and still wants to play but doesn't have the tools physically anymore. Swat his body with Franzen's.

Keating should have asked Franzen the same question.

Anyone see when Keating interviewed Holmstrom after the loss last night? Keating pushed the question about his future, Holmstrom was visibly upset and said "are you kidding me?". Really sucks that the guy still competes and still wants to play but doesn't have the tools physically anymore. Swat his body with Franzen's.

Keating is the biggest moron I know. I hate listening to that idiot.

I voted yes, but I could easily be wrong.

I could see him staying as a way to keep Lids. I do think they'll go out together since Homer picks him up and Nick is a man of habit on gameday, not to mention that they're great friends.

If we get Lids on the cheap on the condition that Homer stays, I'll be happy to have Homer back (not that we'll ever know this detail, of course).

Homer could be effective as a 13th forward. I think that if he's the understood healthy scratch, he'll be more rested and able to play when needed. He'll have something to prove when he hits the ice.

He can provide a lockerroom presence even if he heads to the press box during the games, yet can be called upon to hit the ice with a veteran presence if needed. Personally, if we have more than one injury to the regulars and we've called up a kid, I think that the stability of a veteran is needed.

I think Gus will be up next season as a regular, and if we are in a situation where we have 2 forwards injured, I'd rather call up one kid and have Homer filling in for the other rather than having that much inexperience on the ice when a big gun or two is out.

I'm arguing against what I voted. I think I'm just trying to justify keeping him around for the Winter Classic.

Then after that, he can retire and get hired by Red Wings tv to interview the players. That would be tv worth watching.

Ya, he sure did offer Maltby and Draper contracts...

You're denying that he kept Maltby too long? And Chelios? And gave McCarty another year which he then spent in GR?

Loyalty and continuity have always been one of Detroits strengths, but Holland can be loyal to a fault.

I love that he walked away from that dolt Keating. It's sad to say but I think another red wing from my childhood is leaving our game and our team.

Edited by kylee

I voted yes, but I could easily be wrong.

I could see him staying as a way to keep Lids. I do think they'll go out together since Homer picks him up and Nick is a man of habit on gameday, not to mention that they're great friends.

If we get Lids on the cheap on the condition that Homer stays, I'll be happy to have Homer back (not that we'll ever know this detail, of course).

Homer could be effective as a 13th forward. I think that if he's the understood healthy scratch, he'll be more rested and able to play when needed. He'll have something to prove when he hits the ice.

He can provide a lockerroom presence even if he heads to the press box during the games, yet can be called upon to hit the ice with a veteran presence if needed. Personally, if we have more than one injury to the regulars and we've called up a kid, I think that the stability of a veteran is needed.

I think Gus will be up next season as a regular, and if we are in a situation where we have 2 forwards injured, I'd rather call up one kid and have Homer filling in for the other rather than having that much inexperience on the ice when a big gun or two is out.

I'm arguing against what I voted. I think I'm just trying to justify keeping him around for the Winter Classic.

Then after that, he can retire and get hired by Red Wings tv to interview the players. That would be tv worth watching.

I agree. I really don't see Lids coming back if Homer isn't a part of that signing. If you watched the NHL 36 show you would understand that Homer is a part of Lids routine. And yeah Keeting should have never asked Homer if he was coming back after a 1st round loss. Classless to say the least.

i think bert will be groomed for homers role for the next 2 years and homer will get offered the classic 2-way deal that he turns down in favour of retirement.

Wouldn't that be teaching an old dog new tricks? How do you "groom" a player that's been in the league for 12 seasons? If Bertuzzi is on this team in two seasons.....we've got BIG issues.

It is difficult to think of the team without Homer. I just hope that when he does leave it's by his own choice considering what he has given to this team. You couldn't ask for a better team player. I Hate Franzen because he is the direct opposite, huge body, lots of talent and so frickin uncommitted and lazy. If he had even half of Homer's courage and commitment he would be one hell of a power forward.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I hope Nick returns of course. Hudler is gone FINALLY. Love Homer and all he's done but it's time to replace him with Nyquist.

Love Homer for everything he has done, but it's time for him to retire. He is easily the worst skater on this team now and hurts any type of momentum the 4th line ever tried to create. He's turnover prone now and makes Datsyuk and Z have to work twice as hard when he's paired up with them on the PP. Don't get me wrong, I see that he works just as hard as everyone else, but his skill level isn't what it used to be. He has become a defensive liability. Retire with some sort of dignity, Homer.

I say a low cost 1 year 2 way contract. He can play the Classic, a thank you from management. Call him up when needed, and with less wear and tear at the NHL level he may turn out to be a very nice "surprise" for opposing goalies in the playoffs. We Love You Homer!!!

On a side not.......if I were him, I'd retire.....has anyone ever seen his wife? My son played against his son last fall......and that was the highlight of those 2 games....checking out Homers wife! Tall, leggy redhead....very nice! Lol!

It's one of those couples where you don't mind that the funny guy got the pretty girl.

I think he'll sign a 1 yr cheap contract, pretty much for the winter classic and a last ditch effort at a cup. With the potential UFA signings, we may have a contending team next year.

This. These responses all seem absurd to me- like others have said, if Holmstrom is gone, I believe Lidstrom is gone as well. And there's no way Lidstrom retires this year. Much like Hossa came here in large part to Kopecky, and then the Hawks signed Kopecky along with Hossa the next year.

In regards to Homer being "done" or "useless," there has not been a season in recent memory that did not end with Holmstrom being severely reduced due to the beatings he took over the course of the season. While, yes, he is older now, athleticism was never the key to his game, and we'll all see to start next season Homer hasn't slipped as far as we all assumed.

I say a low cost 1 year 2 way contract. He can play the Classic, a thank you from management. Call him up when needed, and with less wear and tear at the NHL level he may turn out to be a very nice "surprise" for opposing goalies in the playoffs. We Love You Homer!!!

Because of his age, won't he have to clear waivers if we try and send him down?