• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

As much as I appreciate his contributions to the franchise, and the way in which he revolutionized the role of net-front presence, it is sadly time for him to hang up the skates and decide what he will do next. I just hope that Holland doesn't offer him a contract because you know he still has the desire, he has just become more of a liability than an asset with his body breaking down and his reputation costing us goals and scoring chances.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#22 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

I am going to say that he will want to play again. However, Holland may have other plans. 13th forward.

#23 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

him and Lidstrom are prob done. It just feels that way to me.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#24 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

I love Homer, but he is just not effective anymore. I would rather see young blood.

#25 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

Jr. Prospect

• 15 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

Whether Homer decides to retire or not is one thing but it's time for the Wings to part ways. Infusion some younger blood, it's got to happen (and it's somewhat overdue) into the team.

#26 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

Holmer.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#27 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

Anyone see when Keating interviewed Holmstrom after the loss last night? Keating pushed the question about his future, Holmstrom was visibly upset and said "are you kidding me?". Really sucks that the guy still competes and still wants to play but doesn't have the tools physically anymore. Swap his body with Franzen's.

Poor Holmer... thanks for the memories :(

Edited by b.shanafan14, 21 April 2012 - 02:17 PM.

#28 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

Anyone see when Keating interviewed Holmstrom after the loss last night? Keating pushed the question about his future, Holmstrom was visibly upset and said "are you kidding me?". Really sucks that the guy still competes and still wants to play but doesn't have the tools physically anymore. Swat his body with Franzen's.

Keating should have asked Franzen the same question.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#29 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

Anyone see when Keating interviewed Holmstrom after the loss last night? Keating pushed the question about his future, Holmstrom was visibly upset and said "are you kidding me?". Really sucks that the guy still competes and still wants to play but doesn't have the tools physically anymore. Swat his body with Franzen's.

Keating is the biggest moron I know. I hate listening to that idiot.

#30 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

I voted yes, but I could easily be wrong.

I could see him staying as a way to keep Lids. I do think they'll go out together since Homer picks him up and Nick is a man of habit on gameday, not to mention that they're great friends.

If we get Lids on the cheap on the condition that Homer stays, I'll be happy to have Homer back (not that we'll ever know this detail, of course).

Homer could be effective as a 13th forward. I think that if he's the understood healthy scratch, he'll be more rested and able to play when needed. He'll have something to prove when he hits the ice.

He can provide a lockerroom presence even if he heads to the press box during the games, yet can be called upon to hit the ice with a veteran presence if needed. Personally, if we have more than one injury to the regulars and we've called up a kid, I think that the stability of a veteran is needed.

I think Gus will be up next season as a regular, and if we are in a situation where we have 2 forwards injured, I'd rather call up one kid and have Homer filling in for the other rather than having that much inexperience on the ice when a big gun or two is out.

I'm arguing against what I voted. I think I'm just trying to justify keeping him around for the Winter Classic.

Then after that, he can retire and get hired by Red Wings tv to interview the players. That would be tv worth watching.

#31 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

Ya, he sure did offer Maltby and Draper contracts...

You're denying that he kept Maltby too long? And Chelios? And gave McCarty another year which he then spent in GR?

Loyalty and continuity have always been one of Detroits strengths, but Holland can be loyal to a fault.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#32 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,055 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

He scored against the Preds.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#33 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

I love that he walked away from that dolt Keating. It's sad to say but I think another red wing from my childhood is leaving our game and our team.

Edited by kylee, 21 April 2012 - 07:56 PM.

#34 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

He's my favorite player and I'm not ready to see him go adios.

I don't think him and Lidstrom are done yet. At least not like this way.

#35 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

i think bert will be groomed for homers role for the next 2 years and homer will get offered the classic 2-way deal that he turns down in favour of retirement.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#36 Vladiator

Vladiator

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:29 AM

I voted yes, but I could easily be wrong.

I could see him staying as a way to keep Lids. I do think they'll go out together since Homer picks him up and Nick is a man of habit on gameday, not to mention that they're great friends.

If we get Lids on the cheap on the condition that Homer stays, I'll be happy to have Homer back (not that we'll ever know this detail, of course).

Homer could be effective as a 13th forward. I think that if he's the understood healthy scratch, he'll be more rested and able to play when needed. He'll have something to prove when he hits the ice.

He can provide a lockerroom presence even if he heads to the press box during the games, yet can be called upon to hit the ice with a veteran presence if needed. Personally, if we have more than one injury to the regulars and we've called up a kid, I think that the stability of a veteran is needed.

I think Gus will be up next season as a regular, and if we are in a situation where we have 2 forwards injured, I'd rather call up one kid and have Homer filling in for the other rather than having that much inexperience on the ice when a big gun or two is out.

I'm arguing against what I voted. I think I'm just trying to justify keeping him around for the Winter Classic.

Then after that, he can retire and get hired by Red Wings tv to interview the players. That would be tv worth watching.

I agree. I really don't see Lids coming back if Homer isn't a part of that signing. If you watched the NHL 36 show you would understand that Homer is a part of Lids routine. And yeah Keeting should have never asked Homer if he was coming back after a 1st round loss. Classless to say the least.

#37 Zetterling

Zetterling

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:54 AM

He should probably retire. Wings need to go out and get an all star.

#38 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:14 AM

Hopefully. They say Lidstrom and Holmstrom are a package deal, which might have some truth to it. Draper and Maltby seemed to be a package deal too but they brought back Draper for one more year than Maltby.

#39 Wingedwheeler2

Wingedwheeler2

Prospect

• 37 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:50 AM

i think bert will be groomed for homers role for the next 2 years and homer will get offered the classic 2-way deal that he turns down in favour of retirement.

Wouldn't that be teaching an old dog new tricks? How do you "groom" a player that's been in the league for 12 seasons? If Bertuzzi is on this team in two seasons.....we've got BIG issues.

#40 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:47 AM

It is difficult to think of the team without Homer. I just hope that when he does leave it's by his own choice considering what he has given to this team. You couldn't ask for a better team player. I Hate Franzen because he is the direct opposite, huge body, lots of talent and so frickin uncommitted and lazy. If he had even half of Homer's courage and commitment he would be one hell of a power forward.