• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Here's an off-season plan

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

Here's a somewhat realistic idea...

To begin, there's going to be 21.7 mil available in cap space with 16 players on the roster.

...Step one: Trade Ericsson(3.3 mil) and Bertuzzi(2.1 mil). Now there's 27.1 mil available in cap space with 14 players on the roster.

...Step two: Promote Smith (0.9 mil). Now there's 26.2 mil available in cap space with 15 players on the roster.

...Step three: Resign RFA's Helm (1.4 mil) and Abdelkader (1.3 mil). Now there's 23.5 mil available in cap space with 17 players on the roster (I gave both a 0.5 mil raise?).

...Step four: Sign UFA's Parise (7.0 mil), Suter (7.0 mil), Doan (5.0 mil) and a "Salei-like" 6th Defenseman (1.5) mil. Now there's 3.0 mil available in cap space with 21 players on the roster.

...Step five: The remaining 3.0 mil is for Lidstrom. If he NEEDS more than that to come back for one last cup run, then there’s some tinkering that can be done to create some extra cap space. For instance, Abdelkader (1.3 mil), Eaves (1.2 mil) and Kindl (0.9 mil) could be replaced on the roster by Mursak (0.6 mil), Conner (0.5 mil) and Janik (0.5 mil); that’d clear up 1.8 mil in cap space, making it possible to give Lidstrom 4.8 mil next season. If THAT’s not enough, maybe you trade Cleary too?

Take a look at this squad:

2012/2013 Detroit Red Wings: (*I doubt the line combos would look like this)

Zetterberg(6.1)-Datsyuk(6.7)-*Parise(7.0)

Nyquist(0.9)-Filppula(3.0)-Franzen(4.0)

Cleary(2.8)-*Helm(1.4)-*Doan(5.0)

Miller(0.8)-*Abdelkader(1.3)-Eaves(1.2)

Emmerton(0.5)

*Lidstrom(3.0)-*Suter(7.0)

Kronwall(4.8)-White(2.9)

Smith(0.9)-*???*(1.5)

Kindl(0.9)

Howard(2.3)

MacDonald(0.6)

Edited by blueadams

You lost me at 'trade Ericsson'. I think he's been big towards the end of this season and our PK suffered with his injury. He's the best defensive dman we've got.

Not to mention Lids will/should get $2mill. I sincerely hope he can do that for this team. After getting $7-$8mill a year for probably 10+ of the 20 years he's been here, I'm sure he's got enough to last him. After all it's not like he's not going to get another job somewhere, i.e. here as a coach or scout. It'll be sweet if he takes sort of £1.5-2mill.

Plus I want Iginla with the temptation of a playoff appearance/challenge. Man that would be sweet. But I'm biased and just love the guy. Always plays with heart and passion and can still score. If Calgary decided to rebuild (which he's on record as saying he's not in favour of) throw him $3-4mill I'd say

Guest blueadams

You lost me at 'trade Ericsson'. I think he's been big towards the end of this season and our PK suffered with his injury. He's the best defensive dman we've got.

Not to mention Lids will/should get $2mill. I sincerely hope he can do that for this team. After getting $7-$8mill a year for probably 10+ of the 20 years he's been here, I'm sure he's got enough to last him. After all it's not like he's not going to get another job somewhere, i.e. here as a coach or scout. It'll be sweet if he takes sort of £1.5-2mill.

Plus I want Iginla with the temptation of a playoff appearance/challenge. Man that would be sweet. But I'm biased and just love the guy. Always plays with heart and passion and can still score. If Calgary decided to rebuild (which he's on record as saying he's not in favour of) throw him $3-4mill I'd say

1) I don't disagree about Ericsson there. But, IMO, he's a third-pairing defenseman. I think he lacks the offensive skill-set to ever become much more. He's a very good third-pairing defenseman. But third-pairing defensemen shouldn't be making 3.5 mil a season. I don't think you can build a successful team in the salary cap NHL with pieces like that.

2) It'd be nice if he took that little, but he sure hasn't been..

3) If Iginla was available, I'd be right there with you. But he's not. And Shane Doan's the closest thing that is, IMO.

1) I don't disagree about Ericsson there. But, IMO, he's a third-pairing defenseman. I think he lacks the offensive skill-set to ever become much more. He's a very good third-pairing defenseman. But third-pairing defensemen shouldn't be making 3.5 mil a season. I don't think you can build a successful team in the salary cap NHL with pieces like that.

2) It'd be nice if he took that little, but he sure hasn't been..

3) If Iginla was available, I'd be right there with you. But he's not. And Shane Doan's the closest thing that is, IMO.

Understand where you come from with E, but he's never been too offensive, he's a great defensive piece though.

And if Calgary decide to restructure and rebuild then Iginla is well in contention. They are apparently looking to get younger, he wants nothing to do with a rebuilding Calgary team. Or so the news goes but how often can you trust half the conjecture you hear. Doan would be nice but I think the Yotes will feel they're still in that group of playoff bound teams, especially if they get through round 1 this year. He'll be tough to land.

Think Parise and Suter are gettable (maybe less Suter after last night) but will cost.

So basically, it can happen if the stars align enough to:

1) trade like 4 players (assuming only for picks or prospects since we are taking zero payroll back)

2) sign half the UFA/RFA we have for less money than they are worth (ie Helm $1.4 million for a guy who Babcock has publicly said over and over again makes our entire bottom six, and without him we were f***ed)

3) convince all three top-tier free agents to sign here

4) expect Lidstrom, who is still a better defenseman than Suter despite his age to take $3 million less (or $1 million more than Ericsson)

And all this without moving Franzen. Is this a project for an accounting class or something? Because the probability of one of those deals happening with this team is far too low to even joke about all of them happening.

#1...blueadams can't post without making out lines. You must play Franchise mode NHL 12 for hours on end.

#1a...your a little bit crazy, no disrespect, but cmon man. Suter, Parise, and Doan? That's nutty even before you declared it somewhat realistic.

#2...Ericsson really surprised me lately. Don't trade him. He was one of our best players in the series. He looked poised and very good defensively. (If any of you know me, you know that this is a big admission. I've thought Ericsson has been terrible for 90% of his time here) If this is the new Big E, he could be a #4 guy. Shutdown ace, like Stuart was 4 years ago but bigger and meaner.

Guest blueadams

terrible bottom 6.

I made some changes to the original post.

How come Parros isn't part of your plan?

It'd be nice if that 1.5 mil 6th defenseman we signed in my plan was a fighter.

I made some changes to the original post.

It'd be nice if that 1.5 mil 6th defenseman we signed in my plan was a fighter.

What happened to Bert??

Emmerton, Miller, and Eaves all need to go. If any of those guys are in the bottom 6 next year this team is in trouble.

Guest blueadams

#1...blueadams can't post without making out lines. You must play Franchise mode NHL 12 for hours on end.

#1a...your a little bit crazy, no disrespect, but cmon man. Suter, Parise, and Doan? That's nutty even before you declared it somewhat realistic.

#2...Ericsson really surprised me lately. Don't trade him. He was one of our best players in the series. He looked poised and very good defensively. (If any of you know me, you know that this is a big admission. I've thought Ericsson has been terrible for 90% of his time here) If this is the new Big E, he could be a #4 guy. Shutdown ace, like Stuart was 4 years ago but bigger and meaner.

1) It works, numbers-wise.

2) Some people might disagree, but I think Ericsson is a third-pairing defenseman, and I don't think that you can pay third-pairing defensemen three and a half million dollars a season in this new salary capped league.

What happened to Bert??

Emmerton, Miller, and Eaves all need to go. If any of those guys are in the bottom 6 next year this team is in trouble.

I decided to trade Bert instead of Cleary. Cleary, when healthy, can play great on the third line. Bert, IMO, doesn't have the offensive skill for the top six, and he doesn't have the defensive skill for the bottom six. I don't think he fits in.

And those three guys are all cheap and sound defensively. Nothing wrong with that on the fourth line.

Why would Doan leave now?

His team is finally going somewhere in the playoffs.

Why is he one of like four elite free agents to have not resigned already? (The other three, Suter, Parise, Semin). If we start putting a team like this together, and he sees it as a great chance to win a cup finally, I bet he bolts.

So basically, it can happen if the stars align enough to:

1) trade like 4 players (assuming only for picks or prospects since we are taking zero payroll back)

2) sign half the UFA/RFA we have for less money than they are worth (ie Helm $1.4 million for a guy who Babcock has publicly said over and over again makes our entire bottom six, and without him we were f***ed)

3) convince all three top-tier free agents to sign here

4) expect Lidstrom, who is still a better defenseman than Suter despite his age to take $3 million less (or $1 million more than Ericsson)

And all this without moving Franzen. Is this a project for an accounting class or something? Because the probability of one of those deals happening with this team is far too low to even joke about all of them happening.

1) Picks or prospects, sure, why not. Unless you can find something that fits in for them.

2) Helm is the only guy even maybe being underpaid. (points = money, not defense).

3) If we've got the cap space, why not? Miami Heat-ish.

4) He's made enough money in his career now. If it's still about that to him...then, well, damn.

5) Who led our team in goals this season?

Understand where you come from with E, but he's never been too offensive, he's a great defensive piece though.

And if Calgary decide to restructure and rebuild then Iginla is well in contention. They are apparently looking to get younger, he wants nothing to do with a rebuilding Calgary team. Or so the news goes but how often can you trust half the conjecture you hear. Doan would be nice but I think the Yotes will feel they're still in that group of playoff bound teams, especially if they get through round 1 this year. He'll be tough to land.

Think Parise and Suter are gettable (maybe less Suter after last night) but will cost.

Iginla would be dope if available.

And I just don't think you can pay a guy who does what Ericsson does the kind of money he makes.

Edited by blueadams

What happened to Bert??

How can you put down Eaves? He's been great for us. Great on the PK, has the compete level that the team has lacked. I know he barely played this year, but you can't flat out forget all that he brings to the table.

Ericsson's too important to the PK (see the PK numbers while he was injured and compare them to the numbers when he came back). Babs seems to have a man crush on E anyway and let's be 100% honest here-- this team isn't exactly bursting at the seams with big, strong players. Ericsson makes the back end bigger and tougher to play against. Clearly he's not a star player and will make mistakes but he's big, strong, logs tons of minutes and plays on the PK. With the current state of UFA prices we aren't going to go out and find someone better than E for cheaper unless it's an existing contract that's under market value (yes, the market is that inflated).

Bertuzzi had a s*** playoffs, as did Franzen. Hell, out of our top six the only "productive" players were Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Hudler (I'm leaving Fil off because he was so depressingly below expectations):

Top 6 Forwards: (Bertuzzi left off because he failed to get a single point)

--Datsyuk: 5gp 1g 2a 3pts +0

--Zetterberg: 5gp 2g 1a 3pts -3 (tied 1st in team scoring)

--Hudler: 5gp 2g 0a 2pts -3 (tied 1st in team scoring)

--Holmstrom: 5gp 1g 1a 2pts +0

--Filppula: 5gp 0g 2a 2pts -2

--Franzen: 5gp 1g 0a 1pts -1

Notes: Emmerton and Nyquist were tied for first in +/- with +1 (the only + players on the team)

Top 6 Defence:

--Kronwall: 5gp 0g 2a 2pts -2

--Quincey: 5gp 0g 2a 2pts -2

--Stuart: 5gp 0g 1a 1pts -5

--White: 5gp 1g 0a 1pts -2

--Lidstrom: 5gp 0g 0a 0pts +0

--Ericsson: 5gp 0g 0a 0pts -1

Those numbers right there tell you exactly why the Wings lost. Datsyuk was shut down by Suter (impressively so-- if anyone made a great impression on the Wings management you can bet it was Suter) Lidstrom didn't create offence and our top two lines were ineffective.

The best thing the Wings can possibly do is add Suter and Parise in the offseason.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

-I'm really glad Holland decided to extend Bertuzzi. 2 more years AND a raise? Brilliant. If he hadn't gotten that offer then, I doubt he would get it now. (And no, this is not hindsight, this is exactly what I said when I read the news.)

-If I could find someone to take on Franzen's contract, I'd give them 2 or 3 prospects just to say "thanks!" Lazy, floating, inconsistent albatross. When he was drafted, he was a hardworking defensive center. Where did that guy go?

-If Ericsson is our best defensive defenseman, we have huge problems. He's too mistake-prone to be considered "good" and too soft to be conisdered "tough". He plays like he's 5'10". He's ok on the third-pair, but he isn't a top-4 guy and never will be. And for that, he's way overpaid.

-Smith and Nyquist need to be on this roster next year, unless they are traded. Which I would consider as part of packages. Tatar should be given every chance to win a spot as well, again, unless dealt.

-I don't expect to see Suter or Parise sign here, in fact I'd be shocked if they do. I just don't see Holland shelling out the money necessary to get them. If he didn't like last year's market prices (just ask Wisniewski, lol) then he definitely won't like this year's. I expect Suter and Parise to get around $9M per year, each.

-I think the best way to rebuild this team is through trades. Zetterberg, while immensely important here, would have extremely high value to some other franchises looking for someone to build a solid foundation around. Could get a top-end sniper in return. I would entertain offers for everybody on the roster or in the system at this point. You never know, you might get one you like.

Guest irishock

-I'm really glad Holland decided to extend Bertuzzi. 2 more years AND a raise? Brilliant. If he hadn't gotten that offer then, I doubt he would get it now. (And no, this is not hindsight, this is exactly what I said when I read the news.)

Bert's 5 shootout goals a year = 5 extra points which could be crucial in standings.

How can you put down Eaves? He's been great for us. Great on the PK, has the compete level that the team has lacked. I know he barely played this year, but you can't flat out forget all that he brings to the table.

I really like Eaves and would welcome him in the bottom 6 but he cannot seem to stay healthy and I think it is time to cut ties with him and bring in a similar guy who is not injury prone.

Like Eaves but this is strictly a business decision.

I don't believe that Bertuzzi or Ericsson are going anywhere, especially with Babcock's recent harping on the Wings' lack of "big bodies." They'll be with the team at least through the end of their current contracts.