• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

shoe

So Who Do You Cheer For Now?

Rate this topic

As a longtime Preds fan, I can completely understand that. I am tired of the "you suck" that people in our building have to interject into most everything, but especially when they play that song at the end of a game and never moreso than last night during the handshake line. At this point I think it's a conditioned Pavlovian reaction by most of the people there. They hear the song and just react. I think the arena staff could keep it from happening (if they wanted to) if they just didn't play the song, or if last night they had at least stopped it before the handshakes. At the end of every other game it's stupid because by the time they play the song, the opposing team has left the ice and everybody's yelling that crap when the Preds are saluting the fans by raising their sticks before they leave the ice.

Not sure what, if anything, I accomplished by sharing that, but if nothing else it was worth it just to let you know that not all of us take part in it, and some wish it didn't take place at all.

I plus'ed your post, as did others here. Thank you for saying what you did. Perhaps the fans will grow up some day and realize it's juvenile to jeer an opponent (especially one that, when healthy, would grind you to dust) rather than cheer for its own team. Older franchises with hockey-savvy fans know this -- it will come in time, if the club remains in Nashville. Bettman appears determined for that to happen, so I am glad for you.

That said, I would like Nashville gone in the next round, please. Sharks are gone. Good. Heretical as this might be, I wouldn't mind seeing the Blues take the Cup. Then Hitchcock, like Hull, would have a Stanley Cup that was actually earned, rather than gifted by the NHL officials. No goal. Yes, it still isn't a goal. Time and NHL excuses doesn't change a fact.

I liked the fact that the Blues made the Wings sit up and take notice every game. They couldn't coast when Hitchcock sent the goon squad out and had to play their best to compete. Wouldn't hurt my feelings to have a division rival which makes the Wings ALL show up, or else. :cool:

Would prefer the Devils not win. Their last Cup celebration consisted of about 15,000 "fans" showing up in the parking lot. Woo. Watch Detroit next season, for a guide on how to throw a Cup Celebration. :D

Not the Penguins, Hawks, Bruins or Devils.

Almost anybody else really, although it'd be cool to see a Canadian team fight for it.

I am curious to see how far the Preds go because I think they have a helluva forechecking/defensive team.

I also think Phoenix is an up-and-comer. We shall see...ph34r.gif

Edited by Vladifan

PLEASE Philly beat the pens! After that my emotional choice out of the east is the Caps. Love Ovie and want to see him get his Cup ring just like s***ny has. Don't really see it happening but that's my choice. Out of the West I love Hichcock. Go bloos! I love how he was cast out of Columbus as not good enough to coach that dynasty. Usually, after the Wings are out I stop watching but this year I will keep tabs on what's going on. Babcock is out in the first round, Hitchcock wasn't good enough for his old team. Say what you will, but those two ***** know hockey!

As much as it pisses me off, I like the Preds because Rinne and St. Louis because Ive like Tj Oshie since he's came into the league. Ive wanted him multiple times actually. I really dont care about the east as long as the pens dont make it, maybe Ill pick Ottawa do to my geographical location.

Sorry even after all this time I don't know how to add a "reply" to my post. So to the person who asked if I would cheer for the Sharks, Hawks etc to win the cup .. I would say the same thing I did in my original post. I always will root for the West. Maybe its just me but I have always been so sick of the Eastern Conference bias and hockey experts, analysts, pundits etc all treating the West like the redheaded stepchild. I get that it will probably never change but I have been watching hockey my whole life and just don't like it.

Theres the saying that "the East is made up of good players and the West is made up of good teams" but it seems like the high scoring players get far more attention than the high scoring teams. Other than a Sedin or Perry appearing out of nowhere the high scorers are always out of the East and get all the attention - Stamkos, Ovie, Malkin, Crosby, Tavares, Kovalchuk etc etc. The West has the better goalies but all you hear about is Thomas, Fleury and Brodeur. I find it irritating.

Look at the Winter Classics; only once was it two Western teams. Its always the darlings of the East. Even our upcoming WC we are playing an Eastern team. Why would they pick a team not in our conference and why pick the Leafs when the Canadian teams have their own game... Heritage Classic? I understand they are playing the whole "original six" card but I don't buy it.

Maybe if the Western teams win a bunch of Cups in a row it may make people take notice. Probably not but, just speaking for myself, I will not root for an Eastern team to win the Cup

Its not who you root FOR, Its who do you root AGAINST. We should only root for the Wings.

This is basically my feeling as well. I hate the s***birds, so I'm rooting against them. Doesn't mean I'm a Philly fan. I could care less who wins the Cup now, as long as it's not Pittsburgh. Then I'd care. For me, it's time to dive headlong into baseball. Best part of the end of hockey season, whenever it comes, is now I can devote myself to my other sports passion.

Hockey is essentially over for me. I can only truly root for the Wings.

I do care enough to follow standings on NHL.com to see who ends up in each round and inevitably, wins The Cup, though. So not really rooting for, per se, but I'm going with the Kings/Sens crowd for whatever it's worth.

Kings are my favorite of the remaining teams so them first, then the Bruins (all of my brothers love them), and as much as it kills me to say right now...Preds because I like watching Rinne

I will follow the series online, but I probably won't watch any games. As much as I love hockey, my life is just too busy, and not having cable means I'd have to dig around for streams and sit on my computer all night. So as far as watching hockey goes, I'm probably done until one of the last games of the Finals. It's hard to justify to people letting hockey take up 80% of my free time when my team isn't even playing.

Philly and LA, but Philly > LA.

That would be a sweet finals series too with the whole underlying story of Carter and Richards getting dumped by PHI and then going to LA and a chance to get their revenge. I think LA could take them too.

I can't believe everyone rooting for the Preds and Blues. Team that eliminated the Wings? No thanks. Division rival with petulant fans? No thanks. I'll be pulling for PHX to knock off NSH and LA to take out STL. After that, I couldn't care less. I like the way LA is playing but I also sort of want PHX to pull something off, they finally won a playoff series and all it took was an opponent other than Detroit.

In the East, I have wanted OTT to take out NYR simply because if the Wings are out, I want the 'rest of the best' out in the first as well. Wouldn't really matter in the end, but it helps take a little bit of the sting out. WSH to beat Boston because I don't want them winning back-to-back before we do. I don't really have an opinion on the FLA/NJD, the Pens are out in the East and that's all I really care about. I wouldn't mind FLA going far because they are our AHL affiliate (who is also in the Calder Cup for the first time in several years, so I'm actually paying more attention to that at this point).

My please-dont-win-s***-list has grown shorter rather quickly, so I can just sit back at watch from this point on.

San Jose

Nashville

Pittsburgh

Chicago

St Louis

Vancouver

Edited by rrasco