• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

God, quit bitching about the Weber non-suspension. It wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference in the series.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#42 sureWhyNot

sureWhyNot

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

I don't know how anyone can say this is too harsh. No one in the entire league has the kind of head-hunting track record Torres has over the past few years. He's shown over and over that he's always on the lookout for a chance to knock another player out of the game. He's a classless punk and deserves every minute of this suspension.

Shanny has said many times that past history is a big factor in determining the severity of suspensions.

I'll say it - the penalty was to harsh. You are right Torres has a history of bad hits, but One could argue that this one was not one of them.

I have seen Kronwall make nearly identical hits to the one laid on Hossa.

5-10 games though would have been fine with me. 25 though? Come on man, you can't be seriously defending this decision.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings."

- Steve Yzerman

#43 miksteri

miksteri

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

Sick joke by shanaban

#44 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

Joke. I'm actually mad. I think they mixed up Keith's suspension with Raffi.

Edited by zettie85, 21 April 2012 - 05:08 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#45 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

I'll say it - the penalty was to harsh. You are right Torres has a history of bad hits, but One could argue that this one was not one of them.

I have seen Kronwall make nearly identical hits to the one laid on Hossa.

5-10 games though would have been fine with me. 25 though? Come on man, you can't be seriously defending this decision.

Kronwall has had questionable hits where he jumped into them in the pre-head shot focused NHL, but since then he has made an effort to keep his skates on the ice which is proven by the lack of punishment he has received. And he always hits the player with the puck, unlike the majority of Torres's hits including this one. Very different. Torres is a piece of s*** head hunter that got what he deserved far too late in my opinion.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#46 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Kronwall has had questionable hits where he jumped into them in the pre-head shot focused NHL, but since then he has made an effort to keep his skates on the ice which is proven by the lack of punishment he has received. And he always hits the player with the puck, unlike the majority of Torres's hits including this one. Very different. Torres is a piece of s*** head hunter that got what he deserved far too late in my opinion.

esteef

Mcsorley got 23 for using a weapon. Shanahan is a joke, ex-wing or not.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#47 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

Mcsorley got 23 for using a weapon. Shanahan is a joke, ex-wing or not.

Shanahan didn't suspend McSorely.

Posted Image

#48 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

God, quit bitching about the Weber non-suspension. It wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference in the series.

How can you say that? The wings would probably have won the next game if Weber had been suspended. :ranting:

Oh, wait. :blush:

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#49 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

Shanahan didn't suspend McSorely.

Obviously. The point is zero consistency. I'll use Keith. Not a repeat offender but he did just as much damage and his elbow was blatantly disgusting. 7 games. I'll say again. It's a joke.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#50 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

Pretty much what harold said.

I voted too harsh, not because he doesn't deserve 25 games, but because 25 is a value, like money.

You find the value of something by comparing it to similar things. The value of your home or car is assessed by comparables.

There is a market value and it depends on what people will pay, or, in this case, what comparable infractions have received.

The non-suspension of Weber happened early on, and therefore set the tone of the playoff suspension value for this round of the playoffs (thus being a perfectly acceptable conversation topic).

The post-headshot era is looking to this year for setting a tone. The tone has been more of an arpeggio.

#51 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

People do have a right to their opinion and to be honest, the series may of been different, who knows. Anyways, no reason for living in the past.
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#52 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

Seen worse.

In all honesty, it was obvious he'd get suspended. I was expecting a figure around the 8-9 mark. However I'll admit I wasn't fully aware of the full extent of Torres and his horrific suspension history. He targets players heads, no doubt.

Still, 25 games is a bit steep but that is basically playoffs+preseason which is OK by me.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#53 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

Seen worse.

In all honesty, it was obvious he'd get suspended. I was expecting a figure around the 8-9 mark. However I'll admit I wasn't fully aware of the full extent of Torres and his horrific suspension history. He targets players heads, no doubt.

Still, 25 games is a bit steep but that is basically playoffs+preseason which is OK by me.

Preseason doesn't count. If the coyotes close out their series tonight and move on to play three 7 game series he would still have to miss the first two games of the next regular season.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#54 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

Preseason doesn't count. If the coyotes close out their series tonight and move on to play three 7 game series he would still have to miss the first two games of the next regular season.

Shanny said it did in his video.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#55 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

I think he doesn't get to play pre-season games but they don't bring his total down any, cuz they're not 'real' games. That's what Shanny meant.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#56 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

I can't believe someone voted too lenient and so many voted just right, hockey fans have really gone down the tubes. None of you who voted just right has ever played a second of hockey.

Edited by jollymania, 21 April 2012 - 10:23 PM.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#57 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,743 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

I can't believe someone voted too lenient and so many voted just right, hockey fans have really gone down the tubes. None of you who voted just right has ever played a second of hockey.

The idea is to make sure that Raffi Torres never plays a second of hockey again.

He's one of (if not the) dirtiest player in the league.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#58 Marxx71

Marxx71

Danny DeKeyser

• 42 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:26 AM

Illegal checking to the head is a serious problem in all hockey leagues. Its a good call by Shanahan.

#59 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

Torres gone...let the good times roll! Cheapshotting bastard deserves everything he gets. he's probably caused 25 concussions on dirty leaping head hunting hits so good on Shanaban to slap him with more than a $2500 fine.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#60 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:43 PM

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=630567

The National Hockey League Players' Association has filed an appeal of the 25-game suspension handed to Phoenix forward Raffi Torres last month.

Edited by rrasco, 03 May 2012 - 09:44 PM.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30