• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

It's obviously because of his 5 similar hit history, he certainly deserves 25 games. The guy knows how the league is really cracking down on head hits this year and he still gets suspended 3 different times for real bad head hits? Torres is a moron, much like anyone still bitching about Weber.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#62 TheWolf

TheWolf

Prospect

• 37 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

How many games is this hit worth?

#63 Sycsa

Sycsa

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

I think the suspension is fine, but I'm still a bit mad at Shanny because of Weber. Which one should I pick? There should be an option which says: "just right, but Shanahan still sucks.":hehe:

#64 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

How many games is this hit worth?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmJreZmmZIE

Are you seriously comparing these two hits?

#65 TheWolf

TheWolf

Prospect

• 37 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

Are you seriously comparing these two hits?

You aren't? Guy hits him late, around the head, leaps into him. Oh, right, Couture didn't end up in the hospital. :rolleyes:

#66 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

He should have just grabbed Hossa's head and slammed it into the boards :ph34r:

But seriously, Torres is scum and I'm glad he's been booted from the NHL for a while.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#67 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:54 PM

You aren't? Guy hits him late, around the head, leaps into him. Oh, right, Couture didn't end up in the hospital. :rolleyes:

At first I was with you on this, but in your video you see Neal really let up last minute and try to avoid contact thus showing respect for his fellow NHL'er...Not the case at all with Torres, he wanted to f*** Hossa up, the same way he did with his other sixty-three infractions this season.

#68 TheWolf

TheWolf

Prospect

• 37 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:53 AM

At first I was with you on this, but in your video you see Neal really let up last minute and try to avoid contact thus showing respect for his fellow NHL'er...Not the case at all with Torres, he wanted to f*** Hossa up, the same way he did with his other sixty-three infractions this season.

Then we simply disagree. I don't see letting up on the contact nor trying to avoid him. The puck is much further away, for a longer period than with Torres. Torres is a harder hit, and has a bigger rap sheet, but I don't see this as any better.

Frankly, I want my D-men to f*** people up, in a cleaner way, but I certainly want that.

All of this IMO has been spiraling downhill for a while, but it was really poignant after the Rome-Horton hit, where because Horton was hurt, Rome got suspended (or a longer one) due to that. Eventually it is going to get to the point where players will stay down, sit out a couple games and give the offender a 10 game suspension.

I respect your opinion, I just don't see the avoidance you claim.

#69 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

apparently Mr. Buttman has reduced the suspension by four games.

NEW YORK, N.Y. - Gary Bettman has cut four games off the 25-game suspension given to Raffi Torres during the playoffs.
The reduced sentence from the commissioner came after the Phoenix Coyotes forward appealled Brendan Shanahan's original decision.
Torres served 13 games of the ban during the playoffs and will have to sit out the coming pre-season as well as eight games in the regular season.
As a result, he'll forfeit US$170,731.68 in salary.
The suspension was handed out April 21 after Torres left Chicago Blackhawks forward Marian Hossa with a concussion following a high, hard hit.

source: nhl.com

how did i know Father Gary would get involved with this ....

#70 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

It will happen to him again.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#71 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

No explanation as to why he reduced it? I don't like this, Shanahan's job is to handle discipline and now 2 months later Buttman decides to change it? I don't care if he is comissioner, if Shanny can give explanations for his suspensions the he should too.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#72 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

No explanation as to why he reduced it? I don't like this, Shanahan's job is to handle discipline and now 2 months later Buttman decides to change it? I don't care if he is comissioner, if Shanny can give explanations for his suspensions the he should too.

Raffi appealed it, that's why it was reduced. In all of the major sports, appeals go through the commissioner and commissioner only.

Any time a sentence is appealed, about 99% of the, get reduced.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#73 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

The league is better off without Torres, especially if they're trying to protect players heads. He's made a career of questionably late hits that target the head.