• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

Trying to address the issue at the trade deadline is almost always an expensive shot in the dark. I have been saying for months that Holland needed to TRADE one of his top six players to wake up the rest of very comfortable fatcats on this roster. Franzen is f***in lazy and now after his recent performance coupled with his enlighting statement to the media that the regular season BORES him, I wonder if he is even tradable with that awful contract.

#42 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

Of all people I sure don't blame Babcock

#43 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

Rinne, Bounces, The Inherently Chaotic Nature of Ice Hockey.

Agreed. I blame rinne 100%

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#44 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

Holland just voted... :)
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#45 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

I think you're missing my point. It has made less and less difference as parity in the league has increased, as there have been progressively less and less teams out of playoff contention at the deadline. The number of sellers this season was absurdly low, and thus so were the number of players available, and thus so were the number of trades made. Virtually nothing of significance was achieved this season at the deadline.

But thanks for your obnoxious reply. It adds to the discussion.

Tell that to the Wings sitting at home right now. Gaustad killed in the faceoff dot and had a goal and an assist in the series, so did Kostitsyn. And that's just the trade pickups in our series. Radulov had a goal and 4 assists if you count him. But I'm sure you'll count that as "nothing of significance" to save your dumb argument. You sound more and more like Holland with every post.

Technically, an obnoxiously, it only really works out for one team in the end, the Cup winner.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#46 Icesurfer

Icesurfer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

It is not an accident that the young fast teams with great goaltending are leading the way. All GM's should have seen this coming when the hooking and holding was taken out of the game. It allowed the speedy players to have the biggest impact. Experience and skill are no longer hallmarks of the game. Goals scored are not mostly the pretty goals by skilled players in the playoffs. They are scrappy and rebound goals put in by great skaters who will go to the net. But it starts with great defense as well as goaltending and the defenders have to contribute to the scoring by picking up the rebounds. EVERY line on the team has to have speedy good skaters. Every skater, IMHO, has to be good enough to kill penalties if necessary, although, you can not expect your highly skilled 5 on 5 goal scorers to spend time on every penalty kill.
Defense and goaltending win championships!!!

#47 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

Tell that to the Wings sitting at home right now. Gaustad killed in the faceoff dot and had a goal and an assist in the series, so did Kostitsyn. And that's just the trade pickups in our series. Radulov had a goal and 4 assists if you count him. But I'm sure you'll count that as "nothing of significance" to save your dumb argument. You sound more and more like Holland with every post.

Technically, an obnoxiously, it only really works out for one team in the end, the Cup winner.

esteef

We may as well have traded that top pick for Gaustad instead of Quincey.

I know Lidstrom and Stuart are probably leaving, but Quincey won't replace either of those players adequately.

Gaustad is big, physical and a great faceoff man. We could use someone like that on our team right now, instead of some timid, turnover prone defenseman.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 21 April 2012 - 09:57 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#48 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

Gaustad did well in the faceoff circle, yes. His goal? A lucky ricochet. Kostitsyn had a decent series. All told, though, they didn't have a significant (yup) impact, and it's fairly certain that Kostitsyn's trade to Nashville, of all teams, came because of his brother's presence. Radulov does not count; nobody else in the league had a star to retrieve from the KHL. As for the trade pickups in other series... they're doing nothing, Vermette excepted. As it seems unlikely that either the Predators or the Coyotes will win the Cup, I doubt that any team that made moves--and none of the moves made at this deadline were major--will be lifting the silver.

Do you really think Gaustad would have made the difference in this series? I doubt it.

Edited by Crymson, 21 April 2012 - 10:28 PM.

#49 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

First I was going to say Kyle Quincey in an angry fashion for his awful brainfart in the final game, but as the game went on just needed to let that go. Obviously not just him.

People might insinuate this as me thinking the team could do no wrong or that I am a Holland apologist. Not what I am trying to say but if that's how you are leaning, not my problem. I chose him since those were the only 2 options, but it wasn't him alone.

I'm no GM, not sure if anything could've feasibly been done to get a big forward/two at the trade deadline, whatever. Could have helped in theory but at the same time, this was largely the same roster that tore through a home stretch in mid-season and was sitting pretty for a likely #1 or #2 seed. So, I guess I'll lay some blame on management, but not even close to the point where some get in here when "ZOMG WE DIDN'T MAKE A MOVE!!!!!" just for the sake of making one or for excitement.

Then injuries hit. I'm sorry, but you cannot prepare for so many regulars being out at roughly the same time. Just can't.

I guess other blame comes into getting back in a groove with players getting back. How long that should take or why or whatever, that's all subjective. Not really quantifiable.

#50 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

Gaustad did well in the faceoff circle, yes. His goal? A lucky ricochet. Kostitsyn had a decent series. All told, though, they didn't have a huge impact. As for the trade pickups in other series... they're doing nothing, Vermette excepted. As it seems unlikely that either the Predators or the Coyotes will win the Cup, I doubt that any team that made moves--and none of the moves made at this deadline were major--will be lifting the silver.

Do you really think Gaustad would have made the difference in this series? I doubt it.

Like I said he killed in the faceoff dot, averaged over 12 minutes a game and he had as many goals as our coveted expensive floater Franzen, which is big considering all the games were 1 goal games except one. And he's just a grinder. All that for a draft pick. It's not that he's a superstar, it's that he's the type of guy the Wings needed, but we all know how Kenny loves to dodge the tougher players. He damn sure could've made the difference, but we'll never know.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#51 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

Like I said he killed in the faceoff dot, averaged over 12 minutes a game and he had as many goals as our coveted expensive floater Franzen, which is big considering all the games were 1 goal games except one. And he's just a grinder. All that for a draft pick. It's not that he's a superstar, it's that he's the type of guy the Wings needed, but we all know how Kenny loves to dodge the tougher players. He damn sure could've made the difference, but we'll never know.

esteef

agreed. every time gaustad took a face-off he looked so comfortable, dug in, and won the draw. he has the versatility and comfort to change his stick over to win the draw with the advantage of a righty. does the right things, I don't think I saw him make a bad decision all series.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#52 wingsfan_indian

wingsfan_indian

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

I voted Kenny. He should have done more. A lot of people saw this coming.

I remember babcock saying some teams do not want to trade to Detroit . Is it because we do not offer anything good in return to get good players? or our prospects are not good enough? Or did Kenny burn bridges with other team front offices

#53 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:52 PM

I voted Kenny. He should have done more. A lot of people saw this coming.

I remember babcock saying some teams do not want to trade to Detroit . Is it because we do not offer anything good in return to get good players? or our prospects are not good enough? Or did Kenny burn bridges with other team front offices

just some stigma around the league that we don't deserve to get better. but now that we go out early its not like we are 1 player away from a stanley cup, i think that teams will be a little more willing if a good deal is on the table.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#54 Jeff6851

Jeff6851

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

In a way I can't blame him. The Trade Deadline was right after the home win streak ended and guys had a lot of chemistry and our only problem was losing Datsyuk for a bit because of his surgery. A lot of people were dreaming of a President's Trophy and a deep run, some were worried we weren't complete enough. Nobody saw it being as bad as it was.

Still, he has work to do otherwise standing pat at the deadline was a waste
Detroit fan living in St. Louis
"To whom much is given, much is expected."
"Play them six times, they might win four, but not this game. Not tonight."
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

#55 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:32 AM

As many times as I damn well want. Just like I'll complain about the weather if I want to, or the fact Old Navy didn't have the flip-flops I wanted in my size when I went shopping today. If you don't like what I have to say, you can either scroll pasts my posts, or put me on ignore. I won't give a f*** either way.

:lol:

Take a chill pill.

esteef

Was Detroit really hurting at the dot up until the trade deadline?

Edited by Doc Holliday, 22 April 2012 - 12:47 AM.

Posted Image

#56 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:28 AM

There should be poll options like Cleary, Bertuzzi, Hudler, Ericsson, etc, for our pathetic resident schtick people who say the same s*** over and over again about the same players.

#57 Wingedwheeler2

Wingedwheeler2

Prospect

• 37 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:10 AM

More than two people were responsible for our season ending short. Babs didn't utilize what little he had to his best advantage, Holland hasn't done much to improve the team the last few seasons, and the players themselves woefully underperformed, save a couple people.

Ding-ding-ding! We have a winner. Well said.

#58 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

I voted Holland cause that's where it all starts. Babcock could have used the tools he had though, like playing Gus more and maybe calling up Smith to provide more grit and offence. Can't wait for July 1st to see if i want Kenny beheaded.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#59 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

i blame the Preds for adding excellent players at the deadline and being hungry

My wish: A healthy roster

#60 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

I think you're missing my point. It has made less and less difference as parity in the league has increased, as there have been progressively less and less teams out of playoff contention at the deadline. The number of sellers this season was absurdly low, and thus so were the number of players available, and thus so were the number of trades made. Virtually nothing of significance was achieved this season at the deadline.

But thanks for your obnoxious reply. It adds to the discussion.

I do agree here - the time to stock up on players is in the offseason - it's too much of a crapshoot and too costly at the trade deadline.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."