• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Shorter Overtimes

Rate this topic

Seems like overtimes have ended a lot faster the last few years than I can ever remember.

The marathon overtime games of the past are fading away. About 10 years ago especially, there were multiple OT games seemingly every night.

I guess in one sense, this era of hockey brings more exciting back and forth OT's, hence the game ends faster. Ten years ago, there was more trapping and less chances, hence the games went on longer. Of course, there are still games from time to time that go multiple OT's (we already had one in these playoffs), but I'm noticing they're becoming more rare.

Personally, I miss seeing longer overtime games, especially when other teams are playing. Just seeing the grind and tear that long games have on the players adds to the playoff excitement. Goals in such games are so backbreaking for the team that loses them. Now, the games end before I can even sit down to watch the OT.

Yeah, it seems teams are much more willing to trade chances now. The refs also don't really put their whistles away anymore like they used to either.

I think that will change a little bit in the next rounds as the teams with relatively poor defense and sub-par goaltending will be mostly eliminated.

Yeah, it seems teams are much more willing to trade chances now. The refs also don't really put their whistles away anymore like they used to either.

I think that will change a little bit in the next rounds as the teams with relatively poor defense and sub-par goaltending will be mostly eliminated.

Well, the OT's haven't been one sided, just really free flowing and open. Even the teams that will advance have played that open style.

Many of these games aren't even going 5 minutes before they're over.

<br />Seems like overtimes have ended a lot faster the last few years than I can ever remember.<br /><br />The marathon overtime games of the past are fading away.  About 10 years ago especially, there were multiple OT games seemingly every night.  <br /><br />I guess in one sense, this era of hockey brings more exciting back and forth OT's, hence the game ends faster.  Ten years ago, there was more trapping and less chances, hence the games went on longer.  Of course, there are still games from time to time that go multiple OT's (we already had one in these playoffs), but I'm noticing they're becoming more rare.    <br /><br />Personally, I miss seeing longer overtime games, especially when other teams are playing.  Just seeing the grind and tear that long games have on the players adds to the playoff excitement.  Goals in such games are so backbreaking for the team that loses them.  Now, the games end before I can even sit down to watch the OT.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I plan on negging you every chance I get.

I disagree completely. I've been watching hockey for over 20 years and can say, without a doubt, playoff OT generally does not last past the first 5 mins. This is something I remember being said to be an ol' cliche in the early to mid 90's even. It makes sense though. There's so much to gain at the same time that there is so much to lose. W/o the shootout in the playoffs (which is exactly how I feel it should be) teams begin to play much more aggressively for that extra inch/win. If playoff hockey OT was how teams played during the regular season, there would be no reason for shootouts...

I think it's because of the changes in the game. 10 years ago was the height of low scoring huge padded goalie days. If you got to overtime the refs put the whistles away and it more resembled Australian Rules than hockey. If you got the puck in the offensive zone, you quickly had a passenger or two, to carry, as you tried to get a shot on net. The shot counts were lower back then, especially high quality shots.

Not sure which era I like more, but I do have to admit that I enjoy the end to end rushes of today. I just wish that they could find a way to keep the play that way, without the refs having to pull their whistles out of their pockets to keep players honest, (or as was seen at the end of the 3rd in game 7 between Boston and Washington, to appease the crowd).

Indeed. I was watching the game yesterday and got really tired by the time the OT started. I remember saying to myself: "okay, let's just watch it for five minutes before going to sleep, it'll probably end anyway."

Historically we probably remember the epic OT's a lot more than we do the ones that end after a couple minutes, so it could seem like there were more of them.

But it's only the first round.

Based on the teams left in the West and the caliber of goaltending they have, I have a feeling we could be in for some long ones.