• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Who will be Vancouver's 2012-13 goalie?

Rate this topic

Who will be Vancouver's 2012-12 goalie?   

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest irishock

Schneider's clearly won the job. They probably don't want a guy getting paid 6 million dollars a year to be a backup (ala Wings 2003ish), Luongo will probably be shipped while he still has some value.

Yes, Schneider is the future...Just not for the Nucks...theres a little thing called a no-trade clause in Roberto's contract. I would rather move Luongo, but unless he waives his NTC it'll be Schneider who gets the new gig.....Columbus or Tampa lol?

Guest Crymson

Good luck to Vancouver in getting rid of that awful contract. Luongo is inconsistent and prone to mental breakdown, and he's fast moving away from his prime. Florida does not need a new goaltender, and I suspect Tampa will pursue one of the numerous UFA goalies this summer.

Good luck to Vancouver in getting rid of that awful contract. Luongo is inconsistent and prone to mental breakdown, and he's fast moving away from his prime. Florida does not need a new goaltender, and I suspect Tampa will pursue one of the numerous UFA goalies this summer.

He might be playing well now but I really doubt jSOe 3orMore is really a long-term option.

Guest Crymson

He might be playing well now but I really doubt jSOe 3orMore is really a long-term option.

What makes you think that an inconsistent Luongo with a giant lifetime contract is a better option than Theodore? What makes you think he's a better option than the far cheaper UFA goalies that will hit the market in two months? Many of those goalies could perform ably for a lesser price and with less potential agony, especially in the playoffs. Florida has no reason to pursue Luongo. He's not an all-star goalie now; think on how they'll feel about blowing cap space and money on him for the next decade. He'll be 43 when his contract expires.

Schneider's clearly won the job. They probably don't want a guy getting paid 6 million dollars a year to be a backup (ala Wings 2003ish), Luongo will probably be shipped while he still has some value.

Luongo's contract is such that he doesn't have value. Whoever takes on his contract will still be stuck with his $5.3m cap hit in the 2021-2022 season.

Florida has Jacob Markstrom as 'tender of the future. Could split time with Theodore as early as next year. If they got Luongo they could have Vancouver's situation in two years...doubt that they do it. If NJ lets Parise walk and acquires Luongo, LouLam should be fired immediately. Tampa makes sense from a need standpoint but id be blown away if Steve was that short sighted, plus Vinny's contract is a big enough albatross as it is. Although, if the next cba allows for a one time, side effect free buyout, it might be ok for whoever gets him. I wonder if the Islanders would do it and if Luongo would even go there...

Right now, Vancouver is hoping they get some kind of "contract forgiveness" opportunity with the new CBA. That would be the opportunity to take one player off the books at no cap hit. I don't think this will happen, but it would give each team a chance to rethink those horrible deals they entered in with crappy players. Like Wade Redden in NYR, or DiPietro in NYI, or Luongo in VAN. I don't think it will happen, but its possible.

Right now, Vancouver is hoping they get some kind of "contract forgiveness" opportunity with the new CBA. That would be the opportunity to take one player off the books at no cap hit. I don't think this will happen, but it would give each team a chance to rethink those horrible deals they entered in with crappy players. Like Wade Redden in NYR, or DiPietro in NYI, or Luongo in VAN. I don't think it will happen, but its possible.

Franzen in DET, Gomez in MTL, Pronger in PHI?, Komisarek or Phaneuf in TOR, Lecavalier iin TB, Kovalchuk in NJ, Bouwmeester in CGY, Steve Mason in CLB, Richards/Carter in LA. If they allow that, it should get interesting. Washington could legitimatly look at Ovechkin.

Franzen in DET, Gomez in MTL, Pronger in PHI?, Komisarek or Phaneuf in TOR, Lecavalier iin TB, Kovalchuk in NJ, Bouwmeester in CGY, Steve Mason in CLB, Richards/Carter in LA. If they allow that, it should get interesting. Washington could legitimatly look at Ovechkin.

Franzen's contract is actually very reasonable. He was the top scorer on the team for crying out loud.

Can't argue with Gomez, Boumeester, or Mason though. The others you mention are suspect.

Florida has Jacob Markstrom as 'tender of the future. Could split time with Theodore as early as next year. If they got Luongo they could have Vancouver's situation in two years...doubt that they do it. If NJ lets Parise walk and acquires Luongo, LouLam should be fired immediately. Tampa makes sense from a need standpoint but id be blown away if Steve was that short sighted, plus Vinny's contract is a big enough albatross as it is. Although, if the next cba allows for a one time, side effect free buyout, it might be ok for whoever gets him. I wonder if the Islanders would do it and if Luongo would even go there...

He chose him with Team Canada in 2010 (an easy gig I know), but took him over someone like Osgood who was pretty stable at the time and who he knew very well with regards to what he could do. I think Stevie would take a look. However the contract is a big stumbling block. If he's not moved/a deal can't be agreed then he'll be the started, most likely just to save face... "we wanted Lu to stay... always have... never looked to move him... he's our starter" at least that will be the front office view.

Luongo should definitely be picking teams he's willing to be traded to. He played well ( minus one bad goal) and still got the hook.

That's not "to change things up" when you don't get the start for the rest of the series. it's because the coach thinks the team has a better chance with Schneider.

It'll just be interesting to see who will take on that ridiculous contract. Want to sign a good but mentally fragile goalie for the next 10 years? We've got your man.

Once he got out of Vancouver and all that baggage though, there's a decent chance Luongo could get it together.

Guest Crymson

How does Franzen at all fit into that list? $4m for a perennial 30-goal scorer is not a bad deal.

Guest Crymson

He chose him with Team Canada in 2010 (an easy gig I know), but took him over someone like Osgood who was pretty stable at the time and who he knew very well with regards to what he could do. I think Stevie would take a look.

Osgood was never a first-tier goalie. Luongo has been for most of his career.

Osgood was never a first-tier goalie. Luongo has been for most of his career.

Hrm....

10th overall in the NHL in Wins with 401

8th overall in the NHL in playoff wins with 74

3 Stanley Cups to his name

How is Osgood not a first-tier goalie? Does he have to be in the top 5 to be a first tier goalie in your mind?

If so, the only first tier goalie playing in the NHL right now is Martin Brodeur.

Guest Crymson

Hrm....

10th overall in the NHL in Wins with 401

8th overall in the NHL in playoff wins with 74

3 Stanley Cups to his name

How is Osgood not a first-tier goalie? Does he have to be in the top 5 to be a first tier goalie in your mind?

If so, the only first tier goalie playing in the NHL right now is Martin Brodeur.

He was never one of the NHL's elite goaltenders. He was a steady, reliable goalie, but never a flashy one. He had some brilliant stretches, but he was not of the likes of, say, Brodeur, Roy, and Hasek.

He chose him with Team Canada in 2010 (an easy gig I know), but took him over someone like Osgood who was pretty stable at the time and who he knew very well with regards to what he could do. I think Stevie would take a look. However the contract is a big stumbling block. If he's not moved/a deal can't be agreed then he'll be the started, most likely just to save face... "we wanted Lu to stay... always have... never looked to move him... he's our starter" at least that will be the front office view.

As much as I loved Ozzy, there is no way anyone in Canada would ever forgive Stevie Y for picking him over Luongo. Forgive me for saying so, but I too would take Luongo over Osgood at the time. Ozzy was at the end of his career while there were other proven goaltenders like Marc-Andre Fleury and Cam Ward who had both won Stanley Cups by then. Ozzy was probably never even considered as much as all Wings fans would like him to have been.

On the subject of Luongo or Schneider, Vancouver can be very scary next season if they manage to pull off a Luongo for some type of star trade. I have a good feeling that there are GM's ready to bet the farm on a 'franchise goaltender,' as much as we on this forum would like to deny it. A team like Columbus perhaps would be willing to give up Rick Nash if they can figure out what to do with Mason. These are just ideas, but I wouldn't be too surprised if the Canucks make a couple of good moves in the off season.