• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Who will be Vancouver's 2012-13 goalie?

Rate this topic

Who will be Vancouver's 2012-12 goalie?   

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How does Franzen at all fit into that list? $4m for a perennial 30-goal scorer is not a bad deal.

4m for the next 8 years for a player who has said he is not motivated to play in the regular season and then has become invisible in the playoffs the last two years (his only defense for his lackluster regular season was that he "turns it on in the playoffs") is a bad deal.

I think Luongo will ask for a trade.

He was never one of the NHL's elite goaltenders. He was a steady, reliable goalie, but never a flashy one. He had some brilliant stretches, but he was not of the likes of, say, Brodeur, Roy, and Hasek.

I compare to Osgood to Jeter, Jeter has never had the best numbers, but he's a winner, just like Ozzie was.

He was never one of the NHL's elite goaltenders. He was a steady, reliable goalie, but never a flashy one. He had some brilliant stretches, but he was not of the likes of, say, Brodeur, Roy, and Hasek.

Thats funny. He wasn't like Brodeur, Roy, or Hasek, yet the numbers say differently. He has more cups that Hasek, and just one less than Roy and Brodeur.

I wouldn't classify him as a second tier goalie, thats for sure. He was definitely a top tier goalie in the NHL. The numbers speak for themselves.

4m for the next 8 years for a player who has said he is not motivated to play in the regular season and then has become invisible in the playoffs the last two years (his only defense for his lackluster regular season was that he "turns it on in the playoffs") is a bad deal.

You have proof of that statement or are you just making that up?

Good poll and a big question for the Nucks. I think Luongo is gone this offseason, New Jersey or Tampa are prime locations for him. Once the devils lose Parise to us they can afford him. :thumbup:

Brodeur made it clear he plans to play next season so I doubt Bobby Lou will end up a Devil. However I do agree with you the Devils will lose Parise to us! :)

Guest Crymson

He has never said he's unmotivated in the regular season. Holmstrom said that, but his statement was a joke intended to illustrate the level of skill that Franzen has.

Accusing him of being invisible in last year's playoffs is asinine. He was playing on a busted ankle from game two of the Phoenix series onward. As far as this playoff season was concerned, everybody besides Zetterberg was invisible.

Tampa Bay would make sense. Luongo's contract wouldn't be a big issue as the Lightning have a fair bit of cap room to play with and have a ton of draft picks that Yzerman can play around with in a trade. He would certainly be an improvement on their goaltending (yes seriously!) As far as I'm concerned Toronto is a non starter. For Luongo's sanity! A stretch of bad games and the press/fans would absolute crucify him.

As much as I loved Ozzy, there is no way anyone in Canada would ever forgive Stevie Y for picking him over Luongo. Forgive me for saying so, but I too would take Luongo over Osgood at the time. Ozzy was at the end of his career while there were other proven goaltenders like Marc-Andre Fleury and Cam Ward who had both won Stanley Cups by then. Ozzy was probably never even considered as much as all Wings fans would like him to have been.

Yeah, never thought he should have chosen Ozzy over Luongo, but just reiterating that many thought he'd choose him anyway as he's a friend and someone who he knows turns it on in big games. Was simply stating that Stevie likes Luongo and would probably take a shot at him if given the chance in the summer. Don't necessarily see Tampa having to give much up as Van will be looking to move him really. That puts Stevie in the driving seat and we all know how good a deal he gets when he seems to call the shots <_< only problem they could face is cap space, but that's about it.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Gillis would love to be able to move Luongo but he won't come out and say it to the media. It's quite clear that Schneider is the goalie now. They groomed him for this role during the season by playing him in big games. Luongo is going to be hard to move because of his contract. Tampa needs a goalie but I'm guessing Stevie Y learned from Holland that you should not tie too much money in goal. I see Yzerman going after Bernier in LA or maybe even Lindback in Nashville. Maybe Harding as he is a UFA. The Leafs need a goalie but there is some bad blood between Burke and Gillis. Does Burke get along with anyone? Burke has said in the past that he hates front loaded long term contracts. However has proven to be one of the league's biggest hypocrites so you never know. Luongo also has a no movement clause which further complicates things. It's tough to have a 6 mil a year back-up so I have to believe Gillis will try desperately to move him.

Edited by Hatethedrake!

Luongo will waive his no trade clause if asked, he is as good as gone:

Vancouver Canucks ‏ @VanCanucks Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Luongo says he would waive his no-trade clause if the team asked. "It's about this group".

Retweeted by Bob McKenzie

Luongo will waive his no trade clause if asked, he is as good as gone:

Vancouver Canucks ‏ @VanCanucks Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Luongo says he would waive his no-trade clause if the team asked. "It's about this group".

Retweeted by Bob McKenzie

Except Mike Gillis has gone on record saying that he won't ask any player with a NTC to waive it. Weird but it's like a stare-down.

I'm sure Luongo would love to get out of Vancouver. I don't care what players make, but there's some pressures they shouldn't have to deal with. The Canucks can't score goals in the playoffs, but the fans and media continue to blame Luongo for the playoff losses, when it's the forwards who should be getting all the blame.

He'll say all the right things, but I'm sure Luongo is thinking that Schneider can have all the pressure now playing in a Canadian city, while he goes and enjoys playing hockey again in either Florida or TB.

Imagine the reaction from Canucks fans/media if Schneider gets off to a bad start when he's giving the starting job next year? They'll be saying, "This guy is unproven as a starter, we should have kept Luongo" :rolleyes:

Except Mike Gillis has gone on record saying that he won't ask any player with a NTC to waive it. Weird but it's like a stare-down.

Luongo should just flat out ask for a trade then, and to an Eastern Conference team. That way he'll only have to go back once every two years. By the time he goes back the fans will either 1) won't care because Schneider is playing well, or 2) will cheer him because Schneider sucked, and they want him back.

I can honestly see Luongo traded to Tampa. Only question is what will Stevie have to give up. Lecavelier or St. Louis and a 1st rounder?

If Yzerman gives St. Louis or anything good up for Luongo's bloated contract he's a moron. Vinny's about all I'd give up in terms of legit 'big name' talent for Luongo. Vinny's got an equally bloated contract (yes, the insane term on Luongo's contract is a big factor, even if it's a manageable cap number).

Teams will want Luongo. Especially teams without frequent playoff performances. True, he generally falls apart in the playoffs, but he's a goalie who can get them there and that counts for something when you've got a bunch of no-name goalies. Luongo in some small struggling market could put butts in the seats.

Teams will want Luongo. Especially teams without frequent playoff performances. True, he generally falls apart in the playoffs, but he's a goalie who can get them there and that counts for something when you've got a bunch of no-name goalies. Luongo in some small struggling market could put butts in the seats.

Oh for sure. I just doubt he'll get much for the Canucks unless they're willing to take a bad contract coming the other way or a package of smaller things mashed together (schlubs, picks and prospects). Everyone in the league knows Vancouver will be happy just to be rid of his financial and emotional baggage.

Ya lu wont command all that much on the market at this point. If van decides they are moving him then they will have to settle for something undervalue coming back as they cant afford to have 2 goalies on big contracts and other teams know this. Add to that lu's age to contract ratio and his enotional baggage and u arent getting much back.

Schneider will be the Nucks tender next season. Luongo will be traded no doubt but to whom? I don't see Burke pulling the trigger for the Leafs although the Leafs are always the first team rumored to be in any big trade. Columbus and Tampa Bay I think might be the front runners. Especially Columbus if Nash could/can be in the mix.