• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Franzen in DET, Gomez in MTL, Pronger in PHI?, Komisarek or Phaneuf in TOR, Lecavalier iin TB, Kovalchuk in NJ, Bouwmeester in CGY, Steve Mason in CLB, Richards/Carter in LA. If they allow that, it should get interesting. Washington could legitimatly look at Ovechkin.

How does Franzen at all fit into that list? $4m for a perennial 30-goal scorer is not a bad deal.

#22 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:37 AM

He chose him with Team Canada in 2010 (an easy gig I know), but took him over someone like Osgood who was pretty stable at the time and who he knew very well with regards to what he could do. I think Stevie would take a look.

Osgood was never a first-tier goalie. Luongo has been for most of his career.

#23 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Osgood was never a first-tier goalie. Luongo has been for most of his career.

Hrm....

10th overall in the NHL in Wins with 401
8th overall in the NHL in playoff wins with 74
3 Stanley Cups to his name

How is Osgood not a first-tier goalie? Does he have to be in the top 5 to be a first tier goalie in your mind?

If so, the only first tier goalie playing in the NHL right now is Martin Brodeur.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#24 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hrm....

10th overall in the NHL in Wins with 401
8th overall in the NHL in playoff wins with 74
3 Stanley Cups to his name

How is Osgood not a first-tier goalie? Does he have to be in the top 5 to be a first tier goalie in your mind?

If so, the only first tier goalie playing in the NHL right now is Martin Brodeur.

He was never one of the NHL's elite goaltenders. He was a steady, reliable goalie, but never a flashy one. He had some brilliant stretches, but he was not of the likes of, say, Brodeur, Roy, and Hasek.

#25 JoeBuddy

JoeBuddy

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

He chose him with Team Canada in 2010 (an easy gig I know), but took him over someone like Osgood who was pretty stable at the time and who he knew very well with regards to what he could do. I think Stevie would take a look. However the contract is a big stumbling block. If he's not moved/a deal can't be agreed then he'll be the started, most likely just to save face... "we wanted Lu to stay... always have... never looked to move him... he's our starter" at least that will be the front office view.

As much as I loved Ozzy, there is no way anyone in Canada would ever forgive Stevie Y for picking him over Luongo. Forgive me for saying so, but I too would take Luongo over Osgood at the time. Ozzy was at the end of his career while there were other proven goaltenders like Marc-Andre Fleury and Cam Ward who had both won Stanley Cups by then. Ozzy was probably never even considered as much as all Wings fans would like him to have been.

On the subject of Luongo or Schneider, Vancouver can be very scary next season if they manage to pull off a Luongo for some type of star trade. I have a good feeling that there are GM's ready to bet the farm on a 'franchise goaltender,' as much as we on this forum would like to deny it. A team like Columbus perhaps would be willing to give up Rick Nash if they can figure out what to do with Mason. These are just ideas, but I wouldn't be too surprised if the Canucks make a couple of good moves in the off season.
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!"
- Mickey Redmond observing Tomas Holmstrom getting hit by the Dallas Stars. (January 12, 2001)

#26 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

How does Franzen at all fit into that list? $4m for a perennial 30-goal scorer is not a bad deal.

4m for the next 8 years for a player who has said he is not motivated to play in the regular season and then has become invisible in the playoffs the last two years (his only defense for his lackluster regular season was that he "turns it on in the playoffs") is a bad deal.

#27 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

I think Luongo will ask for a trade.

He was never one of the NHL's elite goaltenders. He was a steady, reliable goalie, but never a flashy one. He had some brilliant stretches, but he was not of the likes of, say, Brodeur, Roy, and Hasek.

I compare to Osgood to Jeter, Jeter has never had the best numbers, but he's a winner, just like Ozzie was.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#28 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Thats funny. He wasn't like Brodeur, Roy, or Hasek, yet the numbers say differently. He has more cups that Hasek, and just one less than Roy and Brodeur.

I wouldn't classify him as a second tier goalie, thats for sure. He was definitely a top tier goalie in the NHL. The numbers speak for themselves.

4m for the next 8 years for a player who has said he is not motivated to play in the regular season and then has become invisible in the playoffs the last two years (his only defense for his lackluster regular season was that he "turns it on in the playoffs") is a bad deal.

You have proof of that statement or are you just making that up?
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#29 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

Good poll and a big question for the Nucks. I think Luongo is gone this offseason, New Jersey or Tampa are prime locations for him. Once the devils lose Parise to us they can afford him. :thumbup:

Brodeur made it clear he plans to play next season so I doubt Bobby Lou will end up a Devil. However I do agree with you the Devils will lose Parise to us! :)

Posted Image

#30 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

He has never said he's unmotivated in the regular season. Holmstrom said that, but his statement was a joke intended to illustrate the level of skill that Franzen has.

Accusing him of being invisible in last year's playoffs is asinine. He was playing on a busted ankle from game two of the Phoenix series onward. As far as this playoff season was concerned, everybody besides Zetterberg was invisible.

#31 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

Jr. Prospect

• 15 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

Tampa Bay would make sense. Luongo's contract wouldn't be a big issue as the Lightning have a fair bit of cap room to play with and have a ton of draft picks that Yzerman can play around with in a trade. He would certainly be an improvement on their goaltending (yes seriously!) As far as I'm concerned Toronto is a non starter. For Luongo's sanity! A stretch of bad games and the press/fans would absolute crucify him.

#32 Klunzo

Klunzo

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

I think the team plays better in front of Schneider.
"I believe we have a team that can make the playoffs" -Brian Burke

#33 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,338 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

I can honestly see Luongo traded to Tampa. Only question is what will Stevie have to give up. Lecavelier or St. Louis and a 1st rounder?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#34 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

As much as I loved Ozzy, there is no way anyone in Canada would ever forgive Stevie Y for picking him over Luongo. Forgive me for saying so, but I too would take Luongo over Osgood at the time. Ozzy was at the end of his career while there were other proven goaltenders like Marc-Andre Fleury and Cam Ward who had both won Stanley Cups by then. Ozzy was probably never even considered as much as all Wings fans would like him to have been.

Yeah, never thought he should have chosen Ozzy over Luongo, but just reiterating that many thought he'd choose him anyway as he's a friend and someone who he knows turns it on in big games. Was simply stating that Stevie likes Luongo and would probably take a shot at him if given the chance in the summer. Don't necessarily see Tampa having to give much up as Van will be looking to move him really. That puts Stevie in the driving seat and we all know how good a deal he gets when he seems to call the shots <_< only problem they could face is cap space, but that's about it.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#35 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:57 AM

Gillis would love to be able to move Luongo but he won't come out and say it to the media. It's quite clear that Schneider is the goalie now. They groomed him for this role during the season by playing him in big games. Luongo is going to be hard to move because of his contract. Tampa needs a goalie but I'm guessing Stevie Y learned from Holland that you should not tie too much money in goal. I see Yzerman going after Bernier in LA or maybe even Lindback in Nashville. Maybe Harding as he is a UFA. The Leafs need a goalie but there is some bad blood between Burke and Gillis. Does Burke get along with anyone? Burke has said in the past that he hates front loaded long term contracts. However has proven to be one of the league's biggest hypocrites so you never know. Luongo also has a no movement clause which further complicates things. It's tough to have a 6 mil a year back-up so I have to believe Gillis will try desperately to move him.

Edited by Hatethedrake!, 24 April 2012 - 07:58 AM.

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#36 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

Luongo is gone. The fans would riot if he starts over Schneider and there's no way a team can keep a 7 million dollar backup on the roster.

#37 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

Luongo will waive his no trade clause if asked, he is as good as gone:

Vancouver Canucks ‏ @VanCanucks Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Luongo says he would waive his no-trade clause if the team asked. "It's about this group".
Retweeted by Bob McKenzie
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#38 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

Luongo will waive his no trade clause if asked, he is as good as gone:

Vancouver Canucks ‏ @VanCanucks Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Luongo says he would waive his no-trade clause if the team asked. "It's about this group".
Retweeted by Bob McKenzie

Except Mike Gillis has gone on record saying that he won't ask any player with a NTC to waive it. Weird but it's like a stare-down.

#39 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

I'm sure Luongo would love to get out of Vancouver. I don't care what players make, but there's some pressures they shouldn't have to deal with. The Canucks can't score goals in the playoffs, but the fans and media continue to blame Luongo for the playoff losses, when it's the forwards who should be getting all the blame.

He'll say all the right things, but I'm sure Luongo is thinking that Schneider can have all the pressure now playing in a Canadian city, while he goes and enjoys playing hockey again in either Florida or TB.

Imagine the reaction from Canucks fans/media if Schneider gets off to a bad start when he's giving the starting job next year? They'll be saying, "This guy is unproven as a starter, we should have kept Luongo" :rolleyes:

Except Mike Gillis has gone on record saying that he won't ask any player with a NTC to waive it. Weird but it's like a stare-down.

Luongo should just flat out ask for a trade then, and to an Eastern Conference team. That way he'll only have to go back once every two years. By the time he goes back the fans will either 1) won't care because Schneider is playing well, or 2) will cheer him because Schneider sucked, and they want him back.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#40 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

I can honestly see Luongo traded to Tampa. Only question is what will Stevie have to give up. Lecavelier or St. Louis and a 1st rounder?

If Yzerman gives St. Louis or anything good up for Luongo's bloated contract he's a moron. Vinny's about all I'd give up in terms of legit 'big name' talent for Luongo. Vinny's got an equally bloated contract (yes, the insane term on Luongo's contract is a big factor, even if it's a manageable cap number).
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft