• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

2011-2012 Selke nominees

Rate this topic

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=629242

The truly elite players are the ones who can play -- and excel -- in any situation. The ones who are used not only when their team needs a goal, but also when it needs to prevent a goal.

The St. Louis Blues' David Backes, Patrice Bergeron of the Boston Bruins and Pavel Datsyuk of the Detroit Red Wings are just those kind of players, and for that reason they have been named as finalists for this year's Frank J. Selke Trophy, an annual award given "to the forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game."

The winner is selected by a vote of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association, and will be announced at the 2012 NHL Awards Show, June 20 at the Encore Theater at Wynn Las Vegas.

Read rest of story for more...

I don't see how Bergeron's not winning it this year.

Datsyuk has won this award three times (2008-10). Only Montreal's Bob Gainey, who won it the first four years it was awarded (1978-81), has captured the Selke Trophy more often.

This is the fifth consecutive year Datsyuk has been a Selke finalist, matching the streaks of Montreal's Guy Carbonneau (1986-1990) and Gainey (1978-1982).

I'm willing to bet Pavel gets his 6th straight nomination next season.

Anyone else ever find it interesting that Zetterberg always gets overlooked for the Selke because of Datsyuk's flashy takeaways? Now, I certainly don't think Hank should have been nominated this year, but I think he should have been a few of the past years. The only year he's been nominated was our Cup year. And I actually think Z is a little more positionally sound, it's just Pavel is better when the play's moving.

Either way, to me they're 1A and 1B as defensive forwards on our team.

Edited by Nevermind