• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Axe

Toughness and Snipers

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

The Red Wings have to pick up a player or two this summer who can SCORE GOALS and a player or two who can make the opponent suffer.

Playmakers - Check.

Speed in the bottom 6 - Check.

Depth on Defense - Check.

Decent Goaltender - Check.

Toughness = NONE.

Goal Scorers = NONE.

LESS Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, Hudler, and Stuart. (Franzen slowly creeping onto this list, as well - hasn't looked good the last 2 playoff runs)

A bunch of guys who can't score in the playoffs and don't stick up for the Euro twins when their heads are getting bashed against the boards.

MORE McQuaid + Shanahan.

Guest blueadams

The Red Wings have to pick up a player or two this summer who can SCORE GOALS and a player or two who can make the opponent suffer.

Playmakers - Check.

Toughness = NONE.

Goal Scorers = NONE.

LESS Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, Hudler, and Stuart. (Franzen slowly creeping onto this list, as well - hasn't looked good the last 2 playoff runs)

A bunch of guys who can't score in the playoffs and don't stick up for the Euro twins when their heads are getting bashed against the boards.

MORE McQuaid + Shanahan.

Parise addresses one need. Well, both really. Seems possible. I don't see us signing a pure fighter though, other than purely to be a 7th defenseman. Too many talented forwards to squeeze into the bottom six as possible. I do think that we will sign a third line center however, maybe Jokinen.

Playmakers - Check.

Toughness = NONE.

Goal Scorers = NONE.

MORE McQuaid + Shanahan.

Parise addresses one need. Well, both really. Seems possible. I don't see us signing a pure fighter though, other than purely to be a 7th defenseman. Too many talented forwards to squeeze into the bottom six as possible. I do think that we will sign a third line center however, maybe Jokinen.

Matt Carkner will most likely hit free agency as well and would be a decent pickup for D. He would definitely address the toughness need and can actually play decent minutes in case Quincey can't turn his game around. Adding a cheap "tough guy" on D would allow Holland to go with speed on the bottom six and avoid signing a 4th-liner that would only play 4-5 minutes a game. Getting Parise has to be the top priority, though. The series with Nashville proved that this team doesn't have one guy outside of Zetterberg that can be relied on for goals.

we need more threads about what we need.

What we need are more wanna-be GMs commenting on what they think the Wings need. :D

What we need more than that is for Ken Holland to get to work and retool our team for next season. That probably won't happen until the new CBA is signed.

Honestly, no matter what we do with the bottom six I'd like to see Abby as the full time center on the fourth line. I know he's supposed to be better on the wing, and maybe that's true, but with a couple of years worth of consistent time on the wing he still has yet to show he's got an offensive touch. This is no knock on either Abby or Emmerton, I just don't think Abby is going to give you any offense, and I don't think Emmerton is going to be any sort of a grinder. Down the center I'd like to see Pav-Hank-Helm-Abby and then fill in around that. Get the toughness or scoring by filling in the wingers where needed.

Edited by kipwinger

I don't think we lost so badly because of our bottom 6. Just putting that out there.

Adding toughness down there with Konopka/Prust etc. is fine and all, but we need to find something close to a Bertuzzi circa 2001, which is incredibly rare. Having a healthy Cleary will help on the top lines, hopefully Sheahan can develop into one. Either way the Red Wings need the top two lines scoring, that is what Holland needs to focus on.

Edited by Carman

Honestly, no matter what we do with the bottom six I'd like to see Abby as the full time center on the fourth line. I know he's supposed to be better on the wing, and maybe that's true, but with a couple of years worth of consistent time on the wing he still has yet to show he's got an offensive touch. This is no knock on either Abby or Emmerton, I just don't think Abby is going to give you any offense, and I don't think Emmerton is going to be any sort of a grinder. Down the center I'd like to see Pav-Hank-Helm-Abby and then fill in around that. Get the toughness or scoring by filling in the wingers where needed.

Other than this season, Abby has spent most of his career at center. I'd like to see him center a scoring third line with Tatar. When Abby has been at center, his linemates have generally been terrible offensively (May, Homer, Emmerton) Further, his points per ES TOI are similar to Helm. Abby can create with good players, while Helm creates plays himself. For that reason, IMO Helm is the perfect grind line center. Him, Tootoo/Prust, and Miller would be an excellent line. Cleary- Abby- Tatar and Miller- Helm- Prust/Tootoo would be two great third/fourth lines- I'd like to see each get the same amount of ice time.

Other than this season, Abby has spent most of his career at center. I'd like to see him center a scoring third line with Tatar. When Abby has been at center, his linemates have generally been terrible offensively (May, Homer, Emmerton) Further, his points per ES TOI are similar to Helm. Abby can create with good players, while Helm creates plays himself. For that reason, IMO Helm is the perfect grind line center. Him, Tootoo/Prust, and Miller would be an excellent line. Cleary- Abby- Tatar and Miller- Helm- Prust/Tootoo would be two great third/fourth lines- I'd like to see each get the same amount of ice time.

You may be right, and I don't think that Helm is a scorer by any means. But I think Helm is harder to play against, better forechecker, better defender, etc. and so I'd rather have him out against the better opposition lines. His defense is wasted against forth lines that don't score much anyway. Either way, we need to shore up that fourth line center position and get Abby (at least) off the third line wing because having him and helm out together ensures nobody is scoring on the third line.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Toughness and snipers? We need Cam Neely circa 1988 dammit! What the hell? You gonna eat that? Kick his ass Sea Bass!

Could you imagine....:siren:

Yes, yes I can. :D Unfortunately, there's no way in hell it's happening. Parise and Doan, maybe. But Perry's probably out of the question. Which is a crying shame, because he'd be absolutely perfect. Size, tenacity, scoring touch....

I'd settle for Parise and Prust.