• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mwagner468

Do we really need Suter?

Rate this topic

Ok Here are my If's. Lids signs for 3.5. We sign Parise for 6.0. We sign Doan for 4.5. Finally we trade Franzen and cleary and a first to Colombus for Nash. which is 7.8 in, with 6.4 going out. Obiviously we dont sign Hudler or Stuart. Maybe pick up one tough guy(fighter) early and a depth defenceman at the trade deadline.

My question is could you live with Lids, kronwall, Erickson, Quincy, White, Smith? Kindl and Janik being the seventh and eighth until the Deadline?

Would the team be tough enough? I just don't see defence being what the problem was.

Parise makes 6M now, he's going to get a raise. A big raise. I'd say upwards of 8M, if not 9M per.

The D could use some fresh blood, they've been making increasingly more mistakes in their own zone over the last couple years. The horrible breakdowns were not uncharacteristic lately. Blown coverage and terrible turnovers, leading to goals against. I would even go as far as to say the Wings weren't that good defensively (not D-men, team defense) this year. Not BAD, just not that good. They can play better, just need to concentrate on the opposing players and not get caught staring at the puck. Howard bailed them out a lot when he was playing well.

Doan has been with WPG/PHX his entire career, and the team is finally enjoying some success, why would he want to leave? Unless, of course, the Coyotes (Nordiques?) go a different direction, but I don't see that happening.

A tough-guy/fighter would be great, as long as he can play too. A guy like Chris Neil from OTT would be perfect.

I would love to see Holland be aggressive in free agency (not with just "players that we like"... that line scares me!!!) as well as the trade market. See what it would take to get Nash, Kessel, and the #1 and #2 picks, just for s***s and giggles. One or two of those might be something Holland would actually be willing to do, but you don't know if you don't ask.

Yes.

I'm pretty torn on whether Parise or Suter is a bigger need if the Red Wings can get only one of the two. I would lean Parise after watching the Red Wings trying to score goals against Nashville. Hell, all four teams left in the West play very similar styles with sound defense and great goaltending. The Red Wings couldn't beat any of those teams in a playoff series right now with their current roster of forwards. That being said, the defense was turnover prone and sloppy in the playoffs and there is a real possibility neither Nick nor Stuart returns. Then Suter becomes a real necessity, just as much as Parise.

We need Suter like I need the next Megamillions Mega jackpot.

He was like a one man shooting lane wrecking crew against us. His stick was the wrecking ball of our scoring chances.

We need him more than we need Parise but we need both to get the full effect against any team for the next 5-6 years.

Even if we did stick with the same lines next season (which probably wouldn't be disastrous, just not ideal, in my opinion), what about the year after? If Lidstrom comes back then, I've got to think he's going to slow down some, and if he doesn't, then we'll obviously really need a top tier D-man. Out of all the ones out there, I like Suter the most, and if we want Suter, we need to get him now. I do think a sniper is more of a priority, though.

there's no way Colombus trades Nash to a division rival and for two 32+ year old wingers and a late first round pick lol

I couldn't agree more. As if they don't have a hard time winning the division as it is.

Obviously this will hinge on whether Lidstrom comes back. I think Lidstrom will come back because he is still very capable and it would be nice to see him in the big house. What I really would like to see is the Wings get Shea Weber next year (2013-2014) when he is a UFA pending on what kind of contract he signs this year as a RFA. I imagine Nashville will try to lock him up and to sign him for a long deal.... it will have to be for some big bucks or else he may want to test the market the following year. I was wondering if the head slam on Z precludes the Wings from wanting Weber.... although Z was not really injured. So if you think Nashville will tie up Weber then maybe you want to try to pry Suter AWAY. So in that case I would trade Quincey.... IMHO, Quincey is NOT worth 3 to 3.5 million dollars. Quincey has NOT impressed me at all..... he makes too many mistakes and has brain farts on the ice. Quincey is a RFA and the Wings can trade him.

So if Lidstrom comes back you have Lidstrom/Suter (although he shoots left), Kronwall/Ericsson, White/Smith and Kindl as your backup. Ian White is still the only one who shoots right. Could use White and Suter on the PP.... and Nick and Nick.

Parise makes 6M now, he's going to get a raise. A big raise. I'd say upwards of 8M, if not 9M per.

Whoa! $8 or $9 mil? That would be insane. His goal totals have been dropping each season and he finished with 31 goals this year. No way, does a 31 goal scorer make close to what Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin make. He'll get $7 mil, $7.5 tops.

Ok Here are my If's. Lids signs for 3.5. We sign Parise for 6.0. We sign Doan for 4.5. Finally we trade Franzen and cleary and a first to Colombus for Nash. which is 7.8 in, with 6.4 going out. Obiviously we dont sign Hudler or Stuart. Maybe pick up one tough guy(fighter) early and a depth defenceman at the trade deadline.

My question is could you live with Lids, kronwall, Erickson, Quincy, White, Smith? Kindl and Janik being the seventh and eighth until the Deadline?

Would the team be tough enough? I just don't see defence being what the problem was.

Whoa buddy. The cliff was the feet ago and you just dove off it.

#1...Columbus wanted Logan Couture from SJ plus picks/prospects. Couture, even though I can't stand him, i believe has more value alone than Cleary and Franzen (considering Franzen's contract and age). Superstar players can't be had for our old, injured, underperforming 2nd liners.

#2...So we'd invest $7 MIL in Parise (cause that's more like what he'd likely get), $8 in Nash, 6.5 Dats, 7 in Z....all on offense?! What team in this league pays elite money to four players on offense? Oh and pay Fil, DOAN?! (Which is very unlikely anyway), and Bert the money they make.

#3...We need a replacement for Lidstrom. With a top 10 NHL dman able to be had for just money, you gotta do that before putting that money towards an extra elite forward (Nash). Even if Lidstrom stays.

#4. Our team, and defence, is not good enough. They've proven that. If they stay the same and get a year older, bad news. Although Smith, Kindl, and Ericsson should progress nicely.

I can't wait for July 1st! I want to see what Kenny thinks we need and then see if I need to puke... Lets put it this way, we need Parise and Suter. 1 would be good, neither would be unf***ingexceptable. Parise won't get a huge pay raise cause he missed almost all of last year and then got 69 points this year. At most he gets 7 mil and if there's a chance that Kenny can sign both him and Parise to play together for 6.5 or 7 each, pull the ******* trigger. If we don't have enough money to sign 14 3rd and 4th liners this year, then Griffins can be called up for the annual injury parade.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Parise has everything going for him and will get some insane offers. He is 27 years old just entering his prime has a proven track record of producing. He is a solid all around player who makes his teammates better and is a team captain. If I am going to overpay for a UFA, Parise is it. Parise has said that he wants to be on a Cup contender and a solid organization. Detroit has to be on his short list. I think the Rangers are our main threat. I can see him taking less than market value to sign with the Wings but not too much. Teams will be offering between 8-9 million a year, don't kid yourself. Hopefully Kenny can get him for 7 and front load his deal to lower the Cap hit.

Parise has everything going for him and will get some insane offers. He is 27 years old just entering his prime has a proven track record of producing. He is a solid all around player who makes his teammates better and is a team captain. If I am going to overpay for a UFA, Parise is it. Parise has said that he wants to be on a Cup contender and a solid organization. Detroit has to be on his short list. I think the Rangers are our main threat. I can see him taking less than market value to sign with the Wings but not too much. Teams will be offering between 8-9 million a year, don't kid yourself. Hopefully Kenny can get him for 7 and front load his deal to lower the Cap hit.

Yep, teams are probably going to let him write his own check. I think he's going to go somewhere to win though and that's where we come in. Parise won't have to be THE guy here, we have the history, he gets to play next to THE guy, and could challenge for the Cup in the first year of his deal. Not to mention, if Illitch pulls a Mike Illitch and goes for gold, signing Suter too, you can use the dream team angle like in '02.

The thing about this off-season is the ability is there for us to really stack this team. Not only that but I believe this off-season is pivotal to the future of the Wings...either staying elite or fading away. When you have a chance to steal one, or two, franchise-type players without trading the farm...you should do it. If those two players are exactly what you need (hardworking goal scorer and Lidstrom replacement), you shouldn't think twice. If Lidstrom is thinking about staying, this is where you prove to him that it will be worth it.

And while we're at it, why not ship Abdelakder to Tampa for Stamkos, Bertuzzi to Boston for Lucic, and Homer to Philly for Giroux!

Listen, I want to dump Franzen and Cleary as much as the next guy -hell, I wanted to try and dump them both at the trade deadline- but you're putting way too much value on them. Sure, Columbus MIGHT take Franzen, if you included Smith + Helm or Nyguist in the deal. And even then, I'm not sure, Columbus being a division rival.

As for a fighter, you're preachin' to the choir. I wanted Holland to try and trade for Chris Neil back in '09, sign Asham in '10 AND '11, along with Konopka. But Holland, unfortunately, is a pacifist when it comes to fighting in hockey or protecting your players. I still don't know who convinced him to sigh sign Downey back in '08 or May in '10? Maybe it was the fact that Detroit's players were made other team's ******* in '07 and '09? Anyways, don't hold your breath.

Ok I agree with a lot of you. I might have been a tad unrealistic to what it comes to aquiring Nash. My point was- I have thought since 09 when we lost Hossa sammy and Hudler we never have regained the scoring we lost. I just dont think we need a top tier defenceman(unless lids retires). Give me Iginla or Nash+Doan+Parise and ship out Franzen and Cleary and this has become a much tougher team to play against with snipers.

Do you not think we get through the first round with this team?

When you produced less than 70pts the same season your contract expires you aren't exactly dealing from the kind of position that allows you to demand 8million +

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=3508

Those are not $8,000,000 numbers.

When you produced less than 70pts the same season your contract expires you aren't exactly dealing from the kind of position that allows you to demand 8million +

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...rs/bio/?id=3508

Those are not $8,000,000 numbers.

It's not that he deserves or is going to demand $8M+. Teams are going to offer it to him anyways because there isn't a single other forward on the market anywhere near as good as him. And he's likely just now entering his prime. Besides, he was coming back from a major knee injury this season--so a dip in production was to be expected.

He didn't have $8M numbers (how few players do though, really?), but he's a proven elite two-way player in this league who works very hard, is gritty, and embodies a heart-and-soul type of guy. Some team will offer him an exorbitant amount of money. Actually, many teams will offer him ridiculous numbers.

Here's just hoping he signs with Detroit for a reasonable cap hit instead. Hell, if necessary, even I'd overpay a little if I was Kenny.

EDIT: Since this thread's about Suter...watching the DET-NSH series should be enough to convince many of us how valuable Suter can be to a team.

Edited by Nevermind

there's no way Colombus trades Nash to a division rival and for two 32+ year old wingers and a late first round pick lol

Wings have already traded their 2010 1st Round Draft Pick to Tampa for Quincey so we wouldn't be albe to make that deal anyway unless they put their 2013 1st Round Draft Pick up for trade. Which I don't think they should do that for anyone. Suter would be a good pick-up if we can get him for a reasonable price no matter what Liddy does.

Wings have already traded their 2010 1st Round Draft Pick to Tampa for Quincey so we wouldn't be albe to make that deal anyway unless they put their 2013 1st Round Draft Pick up for trade. Which I don't think they should do that for anyone. Suter would be a good pick-up if we can get him for a reasonable price no matter what Liddy does.

2012 fixed it for you

It's not that he deserves or is going to demand $8M+. Teams are going to offer it to him anyways because there isn't a single other forward on the market anywhere near as good as him. And he's likely just now entering his prime. Besides, he was coming back from a major knee injury this season--so a dip in production was to be expected.

He didn't have $8M numbers (how few players do though, really?), but he's a proven elite two-way player in this league who works very hard, is gritty, and embodies a heart-and-soul type of guy. Some team will offer him an exorbitant amount of money. Actually, many teams will offer him ridiculous numbers.

Here's just hoping he signs with Detroit for a reasonable cap hit instead. Hell, if necessary, even I'd overpay a little if I was Kenny.

EDIT: Since this thread's about Suter...watching the DET-NSH series should be enough to convince many of us how valuable Suter can be to a team.

Much the same thing was said of Richards last summer, and he ended up signing for a fair hit. I'd expect the same of Parise...long-term deal in the $6-7M range.

Suter should be our highest priority, even if it means not going after Parise. Nick may come back, but he won't be here forever, and Suter is by far the best potentially available defenseman even looking forward a few years (depending on what happens with some pending RFAs). It's a much begger need than a sniper.

I think Lidstrom if he doesn't retire will play for no less than $5 million. He took a 20% paycut 2 years ago I believe only because he knew the team needed to make room for salaries for other people. I don't think he will take more than a 20% paycut. That is a lot of money even for a guy like Lidstrom. I don't think Doan will come here. His team is playing better than ours and their team is younger. We should be all in for Parise. We have a chance at Suter if Lidstrom is done but no chance at all if he comes back. The Preds have too much money that they can pay him especially if the cap floor goes up.

I see us getting another Dman and a grinder on top of Parise. I wish we could trade Franzen for someone good in return but I think Franzen's contract is too long and untradeable at this point. He seems to just not care anymore after he got his money. I don't want someone like that on our team.

If Parise bolts to Minnesota I think the next option needs to be Semin. These other guys that are free agents are ok but no one person other than those two can put up the point production that they can and we need roster spots for our young guys.