• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:22 AM

When you produced less than 70pts the same season your contract expires you aren't exactly dealing from the kind of position that allows you to demand 8million +

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...rs/bio/?id=3508

Those are not $8,000,000 numbers.

It's not that he deserves or is going to demand $8M+. Teams are going to offer it to him anyways because there isn't a single other forward on the market anywhere near as good as him. And he's likely just now entering his prime. Besides, he was coming back from a major knee injury this season--so a dip in production was to be expected.

He didn't have $8M numbers (how few players do though, really?), but he's a proven elite two-way player in this league who works very hard, is gritty, and embodies a heart-and-soul type of guy. Some team will offer him an exorbitant amount of money. Actually, many teams will offer him ridiculous numbers.

Here's just hoping he signs with Detroit for a reasonable cap hit instead. Hell, if necessary, even I'd overpay a little if I was Kenny.

EDIT: Since this thread's about Suter...watching the DET-NSH series should be enough to convince many of us how valuable Suter can be to a team.

Edited by Nevermind, 25 April 2012 - 01:25 AM.

#22 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

there's no way Colombus trades Nash to a division rival and for two 32+ year old wingers and a late first round pick lol

Wings have already traded their 2010 1st Round Draft Pick to Tampa for Quincey so we wouldn't be albe to make that deal anyway unless they put their 2013 1st Round Draft Pick up for trade. Which I don't think they should do that for anyone. Suter would be a good pick-up if we can get him for a reasonable price no matter what Liddy does.

#23 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Wings have already traded their 2010 1st Round Draft Pick to Tampa for Quincey so we wouldn't be albe to make that deal anyway unless they put their 2013 1st Round Draft Pick up for trade. Which I don't think they should do that for anyone. Suter would be a good pick-up if we can get him for a reasonable price no matter what Liddy does.

2012 fixed it for you
IPB Image

#24 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

It's not that he deserves or is going to demand $8M+. Teams are going to offer it to him anyways because there isn't a single other forward on the market anywhere near as good as him. And he's likely just now entering his prime. Besides, he was coming back from a major knee injury this season--so a dip in production was to be expected.

He didn't have $8M numbers (how few players do though, really?), but he's a proven elite two-way player in this league who works very hard, is gritty, and embodies a heart-and-soul type of guy. Some team will offer him an exorbitant amount of money. Actually, many teams will offer him ridiculous numbers.

Here's just hoping he signs with Detroit for a reasonable cap hit instead. Hell, if necessary, even I'd overpay a little if I was Kenny.

EDIT: Since this thread's about Suter...watching the DET-NSH series should be enough to convince many of us how valuable Suter can be to a team.

Much the same thing was said of Richards last summer, and he ended up signing for a fair hit. I'd expect the same of Parise...long-term deal in the $6-7M range.

Suter should be our highest priority, even if it means not going after Parise. Nick may come back, but he won't be here forever, and Suter is by far the best potentially available defenseman even looking forward a few years (depending on what happens with some pending RFAs). It's a much begger need than a sniper.

#25 Diluvian04

Diluvian04

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

Ok Here are my If's. Lids signs for 3.5. We sign Parise for 6.0. We sign Doan for 4.5. Finally we trade Franzen and cleary and a first to Colombus for Nash. which is 7.8 in, with 6.4 going out. Obiviously we dont sign Hudler or Stuart. Maybe pick up one tough guy(fighter) early and a depth defenceman at the trade deadline.

My question is could you live with Lids, kronwall, Erickson, Quincy, White, Smith? Kindl and Janik being the seventh and eighth until the Deadline?
Would the team be tough enough? I just don't see defence being what the problem was.

I think Lidstrom if he doesn't retire will play for no less than $5 million. He took a 20% paycut 2 years ago I believe only because he knew the team needed to make room for salaries for other people. I don't think he will take more than a 20% paycut. That is a lot of money even for a guy like Lidstrom. I don't think Doan will come here. His team is playing better than ours and their team is younger. We should be all in for Parise. We have a chance at Suter if Lidstrom is done but no chance at all if he comes back. The Preds have too much money that they can pay him especially if the cap floor goes up.
I see us getting another Dman and a grinder on top of Parise. I wish we could trade Franzen for someone good in return but I think Franzen's contract is too long and untradeable at this point. He seems to just not care anymore after he got his money. I don't want someone like that on our team.
If Parise bolts to Minnesota I think the next option needs to be Semin. These other guys that are free agents are ok but no one person other than those two can put up the point production that they can and we need roster spots for our young guys.

#26 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

I think Lidstrom if he doesn't retire will play for no less than $5 million. He took a 20% paycut 2 years ago I believe only because he knew the team needed to make room for salaries for other people. I don't think he will take more than a 20% paycut. That is a lot of money even for a guy like Lidstrom. I don't think Doan will come here. His team is playing better than ours and their team is younger. We should be all in for Parise. We have a chance at Suter if Lidstrom is done but no chance at all if he comes back. The Preds have too much money that they can pay him especially if the cap floor goes up.
I see us getting another Dman and a grinder on top of Parise. I wish we could trade Franzen for someone good in return but I think Franzen's contract is too long and untradeable at this point. He seems to just not care anymore after he got his money. I don't want someone like that on our team.
If Parise bolts to Minnesota I think the next option needs to be Semin. These other guys that are free agents are ok but no one person other than those two can put up the point production that they can and we need roster spots for our young guys.

Sweetf****** Christ NO! What? then we can put Semin on a line with Franzen and have the laziest line in the NHL...re-sign Hudler and round out the lazy line? No thanks.

Like I said before, Parise or bust this summer. Hudler should go back to the KHL with Radulov.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.