• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

#8 Los Angeles Kings vs. #2 St. Louis Blues

Rate this topic

Rarely does the #8 seed go anywhere after knocking off the #1 seed.

Since the current playoff format was adopted (and prior to this year), there have been ten #8 seeds that have knocked off a #1 seed

But only the 8th seeded Edmonton Oilers in 2006 & 8th seeded Montreal Canadians in 2010 made it out of the 2nd round...and neither played a #2 seed in the 2nd round.

So a #8 seed has never beaten a #1 & #2 seed in rounds 1 & 2.

I'm not saying LA can't do it...I'm just saying it's never been done before...so maybe there is a reason for that. Maybe a team letdown after the big upset or simply running out of magic...or whatever.

LA is going to be tough. Their performance against Vancouver is exactly why I was hoping to stay away from them in Rd. 1.

Quick is a shut down goalie, but I wouldn't say that LA has better goaltending, as others have mentioned here. Elliott has been better than Quick all year long and has the numbers to back it up...and he's going to start at least the first 2 games due to Halak' injury...and Halak may be the backup if/when he does return.

I think this will be a long and low scoring series. If LA had home ice, then I'd be a little more concerned about winning this series. But with all factors considered, including home ice advantage for St. Louis, I think the Blues can get it done in 7.

Agree that this will likely be long and low scoring.

As for Elliot being better than Quick "all year long," Quick has one fewer wins than Elliot even has starts. So you're comparing a goalie who started 69 games to one who started 36.

Don't get me wrong, St. Louis has strong goaltending and a great tandem but it's a little misleading to claim Elliott has been better than Quick when there's a 33 game difference in sample size. Like both Detroit and St. Louis learned with Manny Legace, there's a big difference between putting up good numbers as a backup and actually carrying the load as the starter.

As for LA's chances, I have no idea. They're so inexperienced, but so are the Blues. The Kings are better than their 8th seed shows. They finally started getting it together under Sutter and improved offensively. But the big deadline move to bring in Carter has yet to pay off.

In the first round it was Quick and Brown who got them through. Quick will need to be great again, but they're going to need more scoring from more places to make it past St. Louis. They're not going to give up the shorties or breakaways like Vancouver did.

It's too bad these teams couldn't meet in the conference finals, because of the teams left if it's not the Kings coming out of the west, St. Louis would be my second choice.

ok apparently I was wrong about the Blues not giving up a shortie. :lol:

Greene got the goal but it was Brown's speed that did it. And Greene and Kopitar were sitting right in front of the net to hammer at the rebound.

Quick has once again kept the Kings in a game. And now their counterattacks are paying off, in spite of being outplayed by the Blues for a lot of the game.

Guest irishock

kings for cup if they can win this series

Best result imo. This would be a Tampa/Carolina-esque win.

Guest irishock

This game is a great example why Quick deserved a Hart nomination.

Exactly. Stamkos had a ridiculous scoring season but that didn't mean s*** as his team still fell out of the playoffs after the great run last year. Quick is the only reason LA is not at the bottom of the standings.

St Louis is gonna start feeling like we have the last few years with FLYING OUT WEST.

1st series: SJ. This Series, even tied, or better yet, Kings up 2-0, will be going back out to a revving, frenzied-up Staples Center. Should have heard the noise for games 3-4 vs Vancouver on the TV.

Girlfriend is from LA, and she's a kings fan. in the words of Eric Cartman, GO KINGS GO!

Guest Shoreline

I'm loving the start of this series, hope the Kings have another upset up their sleeves.