• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nevermind

Nill passes on chance to become Montreal's GM

Rate this topic

DETROIT – The opportunity to become a general manager, especially for a storied franchise like the Montreal Canadiens, was enticing to Jim Nill.

But Nill, the assistant GM of the Detroit Red Wings, passed on the chance. He felt this was not the ideal time for the move, due to an illness in his family.

"I had two great talks with Montreal; I was interested, they were interested,'' Nill said. "But it's not the right time.''

Nill does not have an out clause in his contract this season, but the Canadiens called Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch for permission to speak to him.

Ilitch gave Nill his blessing, telling him the organization appreciates his years of service and his loyalty and that it would not prevent him from joining the Canadiens.

Nill has been the team's assistant GM under Ken Holland for 14 seasons and has spent 18 years in the Red Wings' front office. He runs the amateur scouting department and oversees the selections at the entry draft. He also oversees the development of the organization's prospects with the Grand Rapids Griffins, as well as those in the Canadian junior, European and college ranks.

Nill has four years remaining on his contract, with different out clauses each season.

"My goal is to become a general manager,'' Nill said. "There will be opportunities down the road.''

Link

Does he know how to speak french? This seems to be the most important criteria to be the coach or GM of the Habs.

This is the kind of dysfunction that Nill doesn't want to deal with. You know that the Wings treat him very well, and he loves working for Detroit.

Ya....your first ever GM job and it in Montreal? No thanks! Talk about a pressure cooker...Nill will be a GM somewhere, someday, but ANYONE, let alone Nill, wold be crazy to take your first job as GM in Montreal...One failure and he would be stoned to death...

Guest Hatethedrake!

This is the kind of dysfunction that Nill doesn't want to deal with. You know that the Wings treat him very well, and he loves working for Detroit.

Yeah, he's just waiting for the right team to go to. Montreal is not it. He needs a situation like Tampa where the owner is a class act and will give him full autonomy. Which team that is, I have no idea. We will keep him until then and be the better for it.

Glad he elected to stay, to pass on an oppertunity like that has got to be tough but it it wasn't right than it just wasn't right. Hopefully the Habs find a quality GM that can help get them back in the Playoff Hunt. Ever since the movie The Rocket Montreal has become my favorite Canadian Team.

I think Montreal is a potential career ending timebomb for any coach that decides to go there, so many problems going on it's borderline embarassing for the organization. At the risk of getting fired in the midst of the fiasco i'm not sure i'd take the job either.

I think Montreal is a potential career ending timebomb for any coach that decides to go there, so many problems going on it's borderline embarassing for the organization. At the risk of getting fired in the midst of the fiasco i'm not sure i'd take the job either.

Darn it, I really wanted Maguire to get the job :angry:

Glad he's sticking around. He's important to this franchise.

Maybe if Holland fails to get Suter, Parise and/or Semin then he can take over :lol:

Lol Semin. People ***** about Franzen being a lazy floater... Semin's twice as absentminded, twice as talented and half as consistent as Frazen (and unlike Franzen up until last year, he doesn't have a history of being dynamite in the playoffs).

Edited by Drake_Marcus