Photo
- - - - -

What's REALLY going to happen this off-season?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

Ken Holland should come visit the boards here and magically consolidate all 20 of the "Whats happening this offseason" threads into one.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#22 pondrocket

pondrocket

Rookie

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

"My message today is, I still think we've got the nucleus of a very good team," Holland said. "I think we've got a nucleus that can compete with the other teams in the league, but it's tough. It's parity. It's going to be hard to make the playoffs. We're going to try to make some change, but to think that we're going to kind of change the entire makeup and we're going to get tougher and we're going to get grittier, whatever things you think that we lack -- I don't know if that's possible over one summer. That's a drafting plan, that's a free-agent plan, that's a trading plan, that's a development plan."

http://www.freep.com...-unsure-futures

Holland is already backpedaling about making the changes he needed to begin making two years ago.

Holland will try, won't get anything done get replaced next summer. The Wings will bring Yzerman to rebuild as they open the new arena. No I am not spoiled, if he tried to address what was obvious a couple years ago and failed I could live with that. Not doing anything especially at the trade deadline. He is all about excuses.

I am not only on the band wagon, I am driving the truck. Fire Holland.

Edited by pondrocket, 24 April 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#23 centcougar07

centcougar07

Rookie

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

I will post my team for a 65 mil Cap and Nick retiring...

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Darren Helm ($1.500m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.500m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m)
Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.000m) / Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.250m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $65,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,292,045; BONUSES: $37,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $707,955

It's going to take more than 7 mil per year to sign Parise. Minnesota will probably offer him about 8 per year.

#24 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

This thread isn't meant to be about what we think should happen; it's about what we think Ken Holland thinks should happen...aka, what IS going to happen.

I stopped reading here, because none of us knows what Ken Holland thinks should happen. For that matter, what Ken Holland thinks should happen isn't necessarily what's going to happen.

#25 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

guys, parise, suter AND lidstrom just isn't happening unless holland does something surprising like...trading away a big contract, letting quincey walk, or getting nick to take a really big pay cut.

#26 brennan17

brennan17

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

I Guarantee we are not getting either parise or sutter.

#27 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

yeah sutter is pretty set in carolina

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#28 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

"My message today is, I still think we've got the nucleus of a very good team," Holland said. "I think we've got a nucleus that can compete with the other teams in the league, but it's tough. It's parity. It's going to be hard to make the playoffs. We're going to try to make some change, but to think that we're going to kind of change the entire makeup and we're going to get tougher and we're going to get grittier, whatever things you think that we lack -- I don't know if that's possible over one summer. That's a drafting plan, that's a free-agent plan, that's a trading plan, that's a development plan."

http://www.freep.com...-unsure-futures

Holland is already backpedaling about making the changes he needed to begin making two years ago.

Holland will try, won't get anything done get replaced next summer. The Wings will bring Yzerman to rebuild as they open the new arena. No I am not spoiled, if he tried to address what was obvious a couple years ago and failed I could live with that. Not doing anything especially at the trade deadline. He is all about excuses.

I am not only on the band wagon, I am driving the truck. Fire Holland.

Dale Tallon turned over 2/3 of his roster in a year. Look at how much better the Panthers are now.

Paul Holmgren traded away his two cornerstones, Mike Richards and Jeff Carter, not long after signing them to long-term contracts. The Flyers didn't miss a beat.

If Holland thinks it's too hard to make changes and can't do that much in a summer, A, he's wrong, and B, maybe he needs to find a new line of work.

I'm the guy sitting next to you in the truck, holding the map.

#29 brennan17

brennan17

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

yeah sutter is pretty set in carolina

Lol. I'm sure u know what I mean.

#30 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

Forgive me if I consider you unable to render such a guarantee.

#31 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

I love how he thinks we're all idiots.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#32 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

All these threads aref****** me up....seriously now, what does everyone think will happen?

#33 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,727 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Parise would be a good addition, but that lineup the OP posted would be lucky to get out of the second round.

Sadly, I think that's the best lineup we can hope for next season.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#34 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

All these threads aref****** me up....seriously now, what does everyone think will happen?

Nick returns. Stuart walks. Quincey re-ups. Hudler walks, Nyquist takes his spot in the top 6. We don't sign Ryan Suter. Instead, we get Dennis Wideman, pair him with Kronwall. He's Stuart's replacement. We do sign Zach Parise. He plays on a line with Datsyuk and Nyquist. Flip and Franzen flank Zetterberg on the second (or first, whatever) scoring line. Helm centers Bertuzzi and Cleary on the third line. Holmer retires. {Miller - Abdelkader - Eaves} is our fourth unit.

Sounds sort of realistic, right? Unfortunately, I think even this much is the moon for Ken Holland. But I can't bring myself to describe a lineup with a retained Jiri Hudler.

Edited by Dabura, 24 April 2012 - 08:03 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#35 brennan17

brennan17

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

Forgive me if I consider you unable to render such a guarantee.

I just find it hard to believe i really hope we can get parise I think that would be huge.. I just can't see Kenny outbidding other interested teams. But I really hope I eat crow on this one.

#36 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Feel I need to be clear here. The OP is about what I think Holland is going to do. If you want to know what I think he should do...

#1) Players to let go:
-A) Brad Stuart. Sounds like we don't have a choice.
-B) Kyle Quincey. Stupid/sucks that we gave up a 1st rd. pick for him. Not good enough to be worth 3 and a half mil a season.
-C) Jiri Hudler. Not talented enough for the top six. Too expensive for the third line.
-D) Tomas Holmstrom. If I could fit him in I would have.
-E) Justin Abdelkader. Similar situation to Eaves. Would like to have him back, but couldn't squeeze him in.

#2) Players to send down:
-A) Riley Sheahan. Not ready.

#3) Players to trade (for picks, prospects, nothing, whatever...place on waivers and send to GR if necessary):
-A) Dan Cleary. He has no offensive skill, never has, never will. He's a third/fourth line winger. He's not physical. He's losing speed with age and injuries. 2.8 mil is way too much to pay him when a guy like Jan Mursak can give you essentially the same thing for 0.6 mil. Great guy, but this is a business.
-B) Todd Bertuzzi. Not talented enough offensively for our top six. Not talented enough defensively for our bottom six. He doesn't fit in, at any price. Resigning him was a mistake. No need to live with it.
-C) Patrick Eaves. Like him. Good player. Good price. Just didn't fit into my plan. Sorry.
-D) Jakub Kindl. Simply not an NHL-level player.

#4) Players to call up:
-A) Brendan Smith. Ready.
-B) Tomas Tatar. Hopefully ready, need a third scoring line.
-C) Jan Mursak. Fine as a 4th liner.

#5) Players to sign:
-A) Zach Parise. 7.0 mil. No explanation needed.
-B) Ryan Suter. 6.0 mil. No explanation needed.
-C) Nick Lidstrom. 6.0 mil. Hope he takes less, not expecting him to.
-D) Alexander Semin. 5.0 mil. I don't care that he's a *****, our whole team is *******, that's not our style. I don't care if he slacks in the regular season. I just need him to play hard in the playoffs. This team needs guys that can put the puck in the net, period. Semin is one of the top 5 most talented players in the game. I'll take the risk, gladly.
-E) Darren Helm. 1.4 mil. Gave him a 0.5 mil raise.
-F) Chris Conner. 0.5 mil. 13th forward.
-G) Doug Janik. 0.5 mil. 7th defenseman.

It works cap-wise:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Zach Parise ($7.000m)
Alexander Semin ($5.000m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($1.400m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m)
Chris Conner ($0.500m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ryan Suter ($6.000m)
Nicklas Lidstrom ($5.900m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Doug Janik ($0.500m) /

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,223,712; BONUSES: $247,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $76,288

#37 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,614 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

Dale Tallon turned over 2/3 of his roster in a year. Look at how much better the Panthers are now.

Paul Holmgren traded away his two cornerstones, Mike Richards and Jeff Carter, not long after signing them to long-term contracts. The Flyers didn't miss a beat.

If Holland thinks it's too hard to make changes and can't do that much in a summer, A, he's wrong, and B, maybe he needs to find a new line of work.

I'm the guy sitting next to you in the truck, holding the map.

Hollands problem is, he likes this team. He refuses to ditch certain players who haven't shown up that last few playoffs. He rewards veterans with contract just because they were/are loyal to him. He let's Nick Lidstrom tell HIM what he wants to make. He is still waiting for "playoff Franzen" to show up and he still believes that UFA's will flock to Detroit, just because of their history PLUS they will more than welcome accepting 1/3 less salary for that same reason...

..all this talk and all these threads about what will/should happen, realistic or not, I just don't think Holland is capable of rebuilding this team. I have a strange feeling that Scotty was the one to woo Hossa here in 08-09, plus he probably was the one to orchestrate the Hasek deal in 01-02. I have yet to see Holland make a huge impact signing or trade on his own. If he gets one or both of Suter and Parise, I will start singing his praises, but I just have a feeling that he will low-ball both of them and try telling them, "Hey, we're Hockeytown, it's your honor to be contacted by me and to be here..." (exaggerating of course, but I realistically won't be surprised if noone of any impact comes here via UFA or trade...and that is sad, because he is ruining my love for the best sport and team in the world...)

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#38 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,614 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

I just find it hard to believe i really hope we can get parise I think that would be huge.. I just can't see Kenny outbidding other interested teams. But I really hope I eat crow on this one.

That is just it, he has some weird fixation on not offending his "loyal" players...he will tell Zach that noone can make more than Zetterberg (or Datsyuk, whichever one is making the most) and then Parise will go elsewhere because someone else will offer him $8M plus. I think Holland should offer Parise one of those 10 year contracts worth between $7M and $8M per. But he will worry too much about what Lidstrom will want to do and give him whatever he wants, then he will worry too much about what Datsyuk wants when his contract is up...Datsyuk ain't signing anywhere else but here, I fricking hope Holland shows his balls this summer and lives up to his "Best GM in the NHL" moniker...

www.thinkdunes.com

#39 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,614 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

#1) Players to let go:
-A) Brad Stuart. Sounds like we don't have a choice.
-B) Kyle Quincey. Stupid/sucks that we gave up a 1st rd. pick for him. Not good enough to be worth 3 and a half mil a season.
-C) Jiri Hudler. Not talented enough for the top six. Too expensive for the third line.
-D) Tomas Holmstrom. If I could fit him in I would have.
-E) Justin Abdelkader. Similar situation to Eaves. Would like to have him back, but couldn't squeeze him in.

...only let Quincey walk if Lidstrom re-signs, if he retires, you gotta sign Quincey , but ya not worth $3.5M, give him 5yrs @ $3M.

I am re-signing Abby at a small raise. The rest I agree with you.

#2) Players to send down:
-A) Riley Sheahan. Not ready.

No issues here, just use him as an injury call up along with Tatar.

#3) Players to trade (for picks, prospects, nothing, whatever...place on waivers and send to GR if necessary):
-A) Dan Cleary. He has no offensive skill, never has, never will. He's a third/fourth line winger. He's not physical. He's losing speed with age and injuries. 2.8 mil is way too much to pay him when a guy like Jan Mursak can give you essentially the same thing for 0.6 mil. Great guy, but this is a business.
-B) Todd Bertuzzi. Not talented enough offensively for our top six. Not talented enough defensively for our bottom six. He doesn't fit in, at any price. Resigning him was a mistake. No need to live with it.
-C) Patrick Eaves. Like him. Good player. Good price. Just didn't fit into my plan. Sorry.
-D) Jakub Kindl. Simply not an NHL-level player.

I can live without Cleary and Kindl, but I am trading Franzen as well. Plus I think Bertuzzi is going to excel on the 3rd line. Eaves is fine with me as well for the 3rd or 4th. I am also trading Mursak, he'll need to pass waivers to be sent up and down and we have two or three others that can fill his role on the team that don't have to pass waivers when sent back down.

#4) Players to call up:
-A) Brendan Smith. Ready.
-B) Tomas Tatar. Hopefully ready, need a third scoring line.
-C) Jan Mursak. Fine as a 4th liner.

Agree, except for Mursak as explained above...

#5) Players to sign:
-A) Zach Parise. 7.0 mil. No explanation needed.
-B) Ryan Suter. 6.0 mil. No explanation needed.
-C) Nick Lidstrom. 6.0 mil. Hope he takes less, not expecting him to.
-D) Alexander Semin. 5.0 mil. I don't care that he's a *****, our whole team is *******, that's not our style. I don't care if he slacks in the regular season. I just need him to play hard in the playoffs. This team needs guys that can put the puck in the net, period. Semin is one of the top 5 most talented players in the game. I'll take the risk, gladly.
-E) Darren Helm. 1.4 mil. Gave him a 0.5 mil raise.
-F) Chris Conner. 0.5 mil. 13th forward.
-G) Doug Janik. 0.5 mil. 7th defenseman.

I agree with these signing's except I think Lidstrom should retire or tell Kenny he will sign for whatever it takes to ice a winner...I think Helm is around $1.2M though and he needs to be signed for at least 5 years, same goes for Suter and Parise, they should be 10 year deals. Semin should be 1 or 2 to see how he works out, but I think he will do great with Datsyuk.

www.thinkdunes.com

#40 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Well since this is the realist thread, I'll be realer than real and say that hypothetically we don't make any moves for anyone. If so our team could look like this...

Bert-Pav-Franzen
Flip-Z-Nyquist
Cleary-Helm-Eaves/Miller
Mursak-Abby-Eaves/Miller

Lids-White
Kronwall-Quincey
Ericsson-Kindl/Smith
Kindl/Smith

While I don't know if it would win the cup or not I think it looks better than the team we fielded during the playoffs this year. Any thoughts?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."